• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Off the topic of New England Skiing: Portillo, Chile

Ctownskier

Hey gang -
I always get great insight from everyone. Here is the latest and greatest thinking of me and my wife.

Were are thinking of going to Chile this summer for some skiing - and been looking at Portillo. It was featured in the most recent Warren Miller film (got to love the guys skiing over the pool!).

I know the resort is somewhat rustic (not going to win any Ritz Carlton awards), but has anyone been down there? Any recommendations? Is it worth the trip?

Just thought it would be fun to do - and fun to check off the list.

Fire away gang!

CTOWN

dmc

Only been to Las Lenas... And it was pretty friggin awesome!!!
Great resort - incredible, crazy terrain... Nice locals..

Went in mid- August.. Around 12 years ago...

JimG.

Staff member
I've been there. Go, it'll be the best ski vacation you will ever take. Portillo is basically a hotel/entertainment complex and that's it. There is nothing else in the valley it is located in except for scenery and skiing.

If you want a Vail-like experience with posh shopping, fine restaurants, and endless nightlife possiblities, don't go. It is not that kind of area. Portillo is an old school place, smaller old style lifts, the pace is slow and easy. But don't be fooled...

If you want to ski your ass off, hike to some of the best and easiest to access steeps and chutes you will ever ski, ski a steep 1500 foot chute that ends on the lake, then hike across the lake back to the lift, have a helicopter service on site, then GO! There are ENDLESS backcountry possibilites. We hired the helicopter for a day (cost $600 per person at that time) and made several first descents of 2,500 to 3,000 vertical feet down peaks in excess of 14,000 feet.

The hotel is classic european alpine style, run by an american. Nothing fancy, but very neat and clean. All meals are served at the same time, everyone eats together, and you will get to know other folks. 2 bars and a disco on site. Most people are there to ski and go to bed early anyway. The accomodations and food were excellent.

There is an excellent ski school run by Mike Rogan who is a PSIA demo team member and an amazing skier. Great kids programs, and this is a great family experience! When I was there my oldest son was 2 and my wife was pregnant, but we will go back together soon as my oldest sons are now 10 and 8 and will love the place.

I could go on forever about Portillo and never say anything bad.