• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ok...This weather sucks!

RISkier

We had planned to ski Thanksgiving weekend. It's kind of become a tradition. Sometimes a WROD, sometimes very good. This year even a WROD looks less than likely. Definitely not shopping Friday. I'll probably just suck it up and go to work.

JDMRoma

Maybe I should define shopping.....
Go to a local ski shop or by something online at backcountry or EMS

Mind you I hate the thought of not skiing but it's looking more like a reality at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

moresnow

Maybe I should define shopping.....
Go to a local ski shop or by something online at backcountry or EMS

Mind you I hate the thought of not skiing but it's looking more like a reality at this point.

Head over to REI

Quietman

I'm lucky to be very close to the Peterborough NH EMS, and I get a lot of my gear at their twice a year tent sales where they sell samples and returns. This year I picked up a great sample tent for $20, a zero degree sample sleeping bag for $30, new Merrill shoes for $25, and a bunch of other cheap samples. Most of my outdoor gear purchased in the last 20+ years has a black X on the label or elsewhere as they don't allow returns on samples or customer returns, but I've never had an issue with the quality.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Well I don't have an REI close by so EMS it is. Expensive Mountain Sports.

Its good stuff not so cheep ! But always good quality.

Back in the day, EMS was known for their climbing and mountaineering equipment. Catered to the die-hards.
Back in the day, LLB used to sell wool shirt jackets, guns and lure. Catered to the people who didn't mind getting dirty.
REI is one of the last bastions of sanity, as is Cabelas, which is where I've been shopping lately. Not much for fashion, but the bears don't seem to mind!

mbedle

Back in the day, EMS was known for their climbing and mountaineering equipment. Catered to the die-hards.
Back in the day, LLB used to sell wool shirt jackets, guns and lure. Catered to the people who didn't mind getting dirty.
REI is one of the last bastions of sanity, as is Cabelas, which is where I've been shopping lately. Not much for fashion, but the bears don't seem to mind!

Not sure I see the difference between EMS and REI. They both sell pretty much the same thing. LLB still sells wool shirt jackets and lures for fly fishing and as far as cabelas - if I am going to pay that much for something, I rather give it to a local hunting store or outfitters store.

Smellytele

Not sure I see the difference between EMS and REI. They both sell pretty much the same thing. LLB still sells wool shirt jackets and lures for fly fishing and as far as cabelas - if I am going to pay that much for something, I rather give it to a local hunting store or outfitters store.

I agree with this but while i would rather give my money to a local place if I have to pay full price I do look on line for deals anytime I can.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm lucky to be very close to the Peterborough NH EMS, and I get a lot of my gear at their twice a year tent sales where they sell samples and returns. This year I picked up a great sample tent for $20, a zero degree sample sleeping bag for $30, new Merrill shoes for $25, and a bunch of other cheap samples. Most of my outdoor gear purchased in the last 20+ years has a black X on the label or elsewhere as they don't allow returns on samples or customer returns, but I've never had an issue with the quality.

Been years since I have been to one of those tent sales. I'll have to go again sometime.

Tin

Gun blasting for about 24 hours and about 2-4" coming to the Greens this weekend. Next week is looking cooler but still not snowmaking cold.

dlague

Never been a fan of EMS. I like looking around but always felt I could find a better price or deal elsewhere. As for REI, no Black Friday unless you go online and that can be done sitting in your underwear.

wa-loaf

REI is suddenly not looking like such a great place (to work anyway):
http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com...it-employees-reveal-how-much-it-su-1741954571

ThinkSnow

Never been a fan of EMS. I like looking around but always felt I could find a better price or deal elsewhere. As for REI, no Black Friday unless you go online and that can be done sitting in your underwear.

Campmor

Warp Daddy

Wow withthis warm weather looks like i made a smart move to get the damn hip surgery done :lol:. Today one month after surgery walking with no cane , climbing stairs , my PT said i only need 3 more sessions. Ince i have full 90 degree rom on knee and the vast majority of swelling has susided such that i have good definition on the leg . Went to my first board of directors mtg at the medical center today felt great walking in on my own power ....

will start driving very soon , pt will now be on my own , unsupervised in the gym no need for a one on one anymore . Can do full squats now too so things are moving pretty well after just a month .. I have been busting my ass doing pt everyday at home too i guess it paid off

keep your chins up guys it woll snow soon , i always hated skiing the damn WROD s anyway

Quietman

Been years since I have been to one of those tent sales. I'll have to go again sometime.

They are much calmer than they used to be. Wasn't too many years ago that a woman lost some teeth in a battle to grab the best gear. Also, the Peterborough store is no longer the center of the EMS universe, as the main distribution center moved to CT a few years ago, with a lot of the local jobs being lost. With that being said, get there early and get some great deals.