• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powder Boards

bvibert

Staff member
Congrats on the purchase Dave. Those look like fun! :D Make sure you mount them with demo binding so I can take them out for a spin when we meet up for a powder day. :spin:

Any powder board recommendations for a somewhat lighter (165 lbs.) skier? Something a bit forgiving and more nimble?

a 178 Fischer Watea 94...since you haven't been out west yet and don't plan on going this year you'll want more of an EC pow ski...bumps, trees, etc. Good write up in Skiing gear guide. I ski a 186 in the 94...in the east.

roark

Nice, I've been thinking about the Coombas or something similar as a touring set up... not happening this year though.

BeanoNYC

a 178 Fischer Watea 94...since you haven't been out west yet and don't plan on going this year you'll want more of an EC pow ski...bumps, trees, etc. Good write up in Skiing gear guide. I ski a 186 in the 94...in the east.

My buddy (same bsl) has a pair. They rip! IRRC, I think Hawkshot has a pair too.

madskier6

Any powder board recommendations for a somewhat lighter (165 lbs.) skier? Something a bit forgiving and more nimble?

I'd have to recommend the Volkl Gotamas, which is my powder board. They are nimble, smooth & float so nice. They have no metal in them & they are very forgiving IMHO. I'm not knocking the Mantras cause they're great skis too but they are stiffer & better on groomers, which is not what I was looking for in a set of powder skis. YMMV.

IMHO, if you're going for a powder board, go fat. At least the width of the Coomba or the Gotama (105 mm). Otherwise they overlap too much with today's mid-fats. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me but one of my goals was to avoid quiver overlap.

roark

I've been pretty happy with my 178 rossi b4's. Light, nimble, forgiving. Still can get em around in tight trees. Only issue is the quality of construction seems cheap. Of course, that I paid $200 shipped new for them might skew my perception. :cool:

I'd have to recommend the Volkl Gotamas, which is my powder board. They are nimble, smooth & float so nice. They have no metal in them & they are very forgiving IMHO. I'm not knocking the Mantras cause they're great skis too but they are stiffer & better on groomers, which is not what I was looking for in a set of powder skis. YMMV.

IMHO, if you're going for a powder board, go fat. At least the width of the Coomba or the Gotama (105 mm). Otherwise they overlap too much with today's mid-fats. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me but one of my goals was to avoid quiver overlap.

I can't wait to ski on my Nordica Blowers..at 110mm in the waist..the fattest ski in my quiver.by leaps and bounds..

I'm all for fatter...the 94mm waisted Watea is what I'll ski in the east on any day that's remotely soft, out west and on any day deeper than 6" here I'll be on a 114mm waist this winter. But one of the characteristics greg was after was "nimble" and he hasn't been west and won't be going this year, so I'd go with something mid to upper 90s - better in the bumps and we know how greg loves the bumps...also wants something "forgiving" - so no metal. Otherwise I'd say go over 100mm

lloyd braun

Greg,

check out the Volkl Gotama. I ski the Gotama in a 176 and I weigh 140lbs and am 5'5" tall. Super sweet ski that is forgiving and rips all conditions from packed to pow.

tjf67

I have the nordica enforcers. They have a small turning radius for the tighter trails in the east. They are in the upper 90's at the waste. You can catch an edge when you want to but they do float in the powder. I like a stiffer ski that needs to be worked. The smash through the crud and they have a twin tip. When your buddies are acting up you can fly by them and give them a good spraying. I

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Watea 94 for a nimble powder board. Not sure about the weight factor though. They now have a 178 length, IIRC. I got the Atua's which were the previous year's model but they are 184-186ish with a twin. They really fit my turny nature despite the width.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'm all for fatter...the 94mm waisted Watea is what I'll ski in the east on any day that's remotely soft, out west and on any day deeper than 6" here I'll be on a 114mm waist this winter. But one of the characteristics greg was after was "nimble" and he hasn't been west and won't be going this year, so I'd go with something mid to upper 90s - better in the bumps and we know how greg loves the bumps...also wants something "forgiving" - so no metal. Otherwise I'd say go over 100mm
That is the other deal... I couldn't believe how easy the Atua (Watea 94, same thing essentially) was to use in the bumps.

Greg, definitely avoid the Mantra. Worst ski I have ever taken through a bump field, bar none. Great ski if you want to ski groomers with some powder on the side. Any powder day will eventually have bumps, so having a powder ski that can handle late day soft pow bumps is important. I would imagine for a scrawny guy like yourself ;) that the Salomon Guns or whatever they are calling them now would be a good ski to look at.

Greg

Staff member
Thanks for all the recommendations. I have a nice short list now.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Bring on the powder!!!!

Summer08001.jpg