• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Question for I-91-Travelling K Regulars

Zand

Is it faster taking the 103 exit and driving by Okemo or taking the route 4 exit in WRJ? I've always taken 103 but don't know which is faster.

Flan

I've always taken Rt. 103 (exit 6, I-91) from CT. I would assume it's quicker than Rt.4 (exit 1, I-89). Woodstock can be a bottleneck at times. You can go 55 mph on most of Rt. 103 (except where posted...Chester comes to mind) and maintain a decent speed on Rt.100.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Exit 6 is the best way way. From that point I can make K in 45 min with a few shortcuts. We had a post on shortcuts last year. If I find it I will bump it up.

Big Game

Is it faster taking the 103 exit and driving by Okemo or taking the route 4 exit in WRJ? I've always taken 103 but don't know which is faster.

I do 103/100. I never timed it so could be wrong. But Rt 4 in Woodstock is painful 25 mph most of the way. When going through Ludlow on busy days don't forget about the short cut through town (its one-way only good going to K).

Geoff

Exit 6 is the best way way. From that point I can make K in 45 min with a few shortcuts. We had a post on shortcuts last year. If I find it I will bump it up.

Exit 6 to Killington in 45 minutes will get you 5 points on your license and a $230.00 fine. Two of those 20+ mph over the limit tickets and you're a pedestrian. Vermont changed their speeding ticket law so the towns now get 50% of the ticket revenue. They've all hired county sherrifs, stuffed them in cop cars, and have them out writing tickets. I've given up being a revenue source for every hick town in the state. I use cruise control on the flats and go down hills in a lower gear.

At the speed limit, it's an hour from Exit 6 to Kmart.

The shortcut around downtown Ludlow is pretty obvious. Rt 103 forks to the left as you hit the center of town. Go straight. The road becomes 1-way northbound. You'll hit a bridge hang a left to cross over onto 100/103N. Southbound, there is no short cut and if you hit the 4:00 Sunday Ludlow traffic jam, you're screwed. You're better off taking an alternate route or delaying your departure until after 5:00. Google Maps is your friend.

The other shortcut is to take the Bear road at the Skyeship base and cut across East Mountain Road which goes through condo hell around Snowshed. That shaves quite a few minutes and it's now pretty well paved. Beware that East Mountain Road after you pass the turn to Bear & Sunrise condos is posted 25 mph and 50 mph is very expensive if the constable happens to be up there. That will save you 4 or 5 minutes and a lot of miles.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Exit 6 to Killington in 45 minutes will get you 5 points on your license and a $230.00 fine. Two of those 20+ mph over the limit tickets and you're a pedestrian. Vermont changed their speeding ticket law so the towns now get 50% of the ticket revenue. They've all hired county sherrifs, stuffed them in cop cars, and have them out writing tickets. I've given up being a revenue source for every hick town in the state. I use cruise control on the flats and go down hills in a lower gear.

At the speed limit, it's an hour from Exit 6 to Kmart.

The shortcut around downtown Ludlow is pretty obvious. Rt 103 forks to the left as you hit the center of town. Go straight. The road becomes 1-way northbound. You'll hit a bridge hang a left to cross over onto 100/103N. Southbound, there is no short cut and if you hit the 4:00 Sunday Ludlow traffic jam, you're screwed. You're better off taking an alternate route or delaying your departure until after 5:00. Google Maps is your friend.

The other shortcut is to take the Bear road at the Skyeship base and cut across East Mountain Road which goes through condo hell around Snowshed. That shaves quite a few minutes and it's now pretty well paved. Beware that East Mountain Road after you pass the turn to Bear & Sunrise condos is posted 25 mph and 50 mph is very expensive if the constable happens to be up there. That will save you 4 or 5 minutes and a lot of miles.
Police cards are my friend.......As well as the police I travel with.

roark

Police cards are my friend.......As well as the police I travel with.
I hate that sh!t, they usually get an earful when they call me looking for donations. Totally inappropriate. That's what my taxes are for.

Just don't get pulled over. :roll:

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I hate that sh!t, they usually get an earful when they call me looking for donations. Totally inappropriate. That's what my taxes are for.

Just don't get pulled over. :roll:
Oh, they don't get any money from me....Just happen to be friends with a bunch of cops that give me there police cards.

BeanoNYC

My rule of thumb is 103 unless there is a huge dump and the roads aren't completely cleared, then it's rt. 4.

mister moose

There is a 3rd route: Get off 91 the exit before White River Junction, and get on Rte 12 which cuts a big corner off. This is still slower than the 103 route, and you still have to deal with Woodstock. I would only drive Rte 4 if 103 was closed.