• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback Maine

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's more potential lift placement that I'm thinking about. Having a second chair coming out of the base. With my example of SL, the condo placement really made things difficult for their move West requiring a whole new base area, which obviously takes considerably more staffing resources. Had those condos not gone in, you probably could have made a more integrated Bucksaw area with a new chair going in with it's base near the Superquad.

Everyone's vision isn't always going to align. I see their point in redundancy. I also see mine being a more useful longer term strategy for capacity and flow out of the base.

Newpylong

I agree, if their visits climb substantially (which is a good thing) I am sure Rangeley is going to be a bottleneck quickly. That lift at least moves people pretty quickly out of the base area.

tipsdown

I see both sides here....my vision was exactly the same as Deadheads but I've heard the the next move to open new terrain will be a a high speed lift up to the top of the nubble lookers left of the Rangeley base terminal (the sub peak at the bottom of Muleskinner). This would be a new base area further down hill to the east of the South Branch. No definitive timeframe on that but that will ultimately be a long pricey lift and I'm sure their mindful of that. It should provide a lot of nice intermediate terrain....

gittist

Does Saddleback Ski Area have webcams? I don't see the planned opening day on their webpage, Twitter, or FB. Any info appreciated.

Plan A is to ski Wildcat on the way back from Maine in mid-December but it looks like it may be another season of Vail-itis so we're looking for a Plan B. Between the no-help situation and their COVID policies it doesn't look much better than last season

salsgang

Does Saddleback Ski Area have webcams? I don't see the planned opening day on their webpage, Twitter, or FB. Any info appreciated.

Plan A is to ski Wildcat on the way back from Maine in mid-December but it looks like it may be another season of Vail-itis so we're looking for a Plan B. Between the no-help situation and their COVID policies it doesn't look much better than last season
They (Saddleback) have talked about adding them in the past but don't have the up to my knowledge.

salsgang

PAabe

as someone who is usually very critical about the architecture of new developments, those look pretty slick

Edd

as someone who is usually very critical about the architecture of new developments, those look pretty slick
A few weeks ago Instagram comments implied $500K-ish for a smaller one; can’t confirm. I like the look of them. Nice on-hill housing at Saddleback sure sounds fucking great.

Edd

Instagram post on the new mid-mountain lodge. We’re booked for next March already, cannot wait to see how it turns out.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's going to be really nice to have for a couple of reasons. Addresses the need for more dining space in a really cool setting and it's location probably will also help reduce lines at the Rangeley. Folks skiing off the Kennebago won't have to go to the base to eat or warm up.

Smellytele

That's going to be really nice to have for a couple of reasons. Addresses the need for more dining space in a really cool setting and it's location probably will also help reduce lines at the Rangeley. Folks skiing off the Kennebago won't have to go to the base to eat or warm up.
Is there a road to get there in the summer? It’s at the base of the kennebago where the grilled cheese yurt used to be?

Newpylong

Since the place is really broken up into 1/3s its about as mid-mountain as you can get without putting a lodge in the middle of the Rangeley Quad.