• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski and snowboarding hills that are closing for the season

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Yeah when Epic east options dwindle down to Carinthia is typically when I book my annual Colorado trip. Nice that the pass covers that too. What an awesome deal.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yeah, hate Vail all you want but the pass is undeniably a great deal if you can handle their penny pincher/bean counter antics.

"It is an absolute bargain considering that you get the privilege of saying, 'I am a passholder at the Greatest Ski Corporation known to man!'"

13bvailkatz2*1200xx3280-1852-0-220.jpg

snoseek

As previously mentioned Wildcat....1 lift. Thats it, 1 lift. Wildcat holds snow excellent too with a 2k base. Ideally each state should have an area that goes till it melts and Mount fucking Snow aint it. nothing against MFS.

I was waiting to see how spring ops went this year with Epic as I was decently pleased with winter. They got a pass early as the weather was shit. Closing the cat early (also fuck the midweek skier right?) is the straw for me. I've got 3 passes lined up for next year but Epic is getting a break.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

All about making money…Snow is the best option for daytrippers in the tri-state area. Stowe should be the late season resort. Has the snowpack, latitude and elevation.
While I would also prefer Stowe, picking a place that is the best option for the most people is rational for reasons other than making money. Particularly as it is less about making money than about losing less money by being open late season.

skiur

As previously mentioned Wildcat....1 lift. Thats it, 1 lift. Wildcat holds snow excellent too with a 2k base. Ideally each state should have an area that goes till it melts and Mount fucking Snow aint it. nothing against MFS.
Wildcat and Mt snow aren't in the same state. And Mt snow ain't competing with K for late season.

skiur

Yeah different state sure but whatever fuck nh the world revolves around the city I guess. Remember when ski areas competed for long seasons to sell passes? I do and it was great.
One of the main reasons Killington is my home mountain, nothing beats spring skiing and tailgating in May.

AdironRider

Ski areas staying open late clearly doesn't drive the sales many in this thread claim it does. The average skier skis like 5 days a year. Those visits aren't happening in April.
That said, Dartmouth Skiway is making it to April for the first time in I think over a decade. Come on out, there is great coverage.

BenedictGomez

While I would also prefer Stowe, picking a place that is the best option for the most people is rational for reasons other than making money. Particularly as it is less about making money than about losing less money by being open late season.

Altruistic decision-making never entered into this equation. At all.

zyk

Ski areas staying open late clearly doesn't drive the sales many in this thread claim it does. The average skier skis like 5 days a year. Those visits aren't happening in April.
That said, Dartmouth Skiway is making it to April for the first time in I think over a decade. Come on out, there is great coverage.
I'm watching the somewhat local hump Royal. Say they're going until the snow is gone... Respectable for a tiny family hill. I'll drop some money there next year or maybe in the summer.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Altruistic decision-making never entered into this equation. At all.
Yet it is inevitable that one makes the most profit in a leisure business by pleasing the most people. A lot more people find driving to mt snow and skiing there a good use of their free time than find driving to cat and skiing there to be a good use of their free time. And I am certainly one of them, though it is due in large part to where I live.

urungus

All about making money…Snow is the best option for daytrippers in the tri-state area. Stowe should be the late season resort. Has the snowpack, latitude and elevation.
Isn’t the elevation at the top of the highest lift about 3600 feet at both Stowe and Mt Snow ?

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Isn’t the elevation at the top of the highest lift about 3600 feet at both Stowe and Mt Snow ?
Stowe is 70 feet higher at Peak, which means its base is over 400' lower. And for being open late season with their lift layouts, it is base elevation that matters.