• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski of choice

roark

Sounds pretty close. I think my only issue with them is the line in the description that says "If you weigh less than 120 lbs" :lol: ;) :lol: I miss that by about 100lbs ;)
That's the soft version of the ski.

But yeah, you need to man up and get off the kids sticks if you're over 200 ;)

mondeo

Well, from the perspective of which additional ski you'd like, given that I have the two most popular ones mentioned :)wink:), it would have to be Elan Bloodlines or a mid-fat twin tip. Really don't know what I'm looking for in a twin tip, though.

Edd

Getting pretty interested in the Dynastar Sultan 85. Might try to demo if I (fingers crossed) make it to Tahoe next month.

madskier6

Might like to get a fatter ski someday. Was considering a Watea 94

A 94 mm waisted ski is not generally considered a fat ski these days. I've heard great things about the Watea 94s but they're not fat powder boards under the current prevailing standards. You gotta go at least over 100 mm to be considered fat :wink:

For me, the skis I'd take if I could get them without paying would be the Nordica Helldiver. I demoed them in December at Gore & really liked them. Those are 90 mm wide but I already have my pair of fatties at 105 mm :lol:

A 94 mm waisted ski is not generally considered a fat ski these days. I've heard great things about the Watea 94s but they're not fat powder boards under the current prevailing standards. You gotta go at least over 100 mm to be considered fat :wink:

enter the watea 101...coming in a 182cm and 172cm for next year...along with the 192 now avail...or, if you want to go fatter, the watea 114 comes in a 176 and 186 (09/10 ski). 101 in a 182 makes for a pretty versatile ski...pretty solid on the hard stuff for a ski over 100 in the waist. The 114 is a blast in the deep...and surprisingly nimble when its not deep. I'll take both...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Delusions of grandeur. Guy gets a board over 100 and all of a sudden 94 isn't considered fat :lol:

This was a pretty weak topic, IMO. Your ski of choice should really be the ski you already own. Otherwise, you need to sack up and reconsider your quiver and start looking for some deals. Especially since it is the end of the season. I gots my skis of choice already.

wa-loaf

Fischer Watea 94 with Marker Barons.

I'm gonna change that to Volkl Mantras after skiing both today. With the Watea 84 a close second. The 09 Watea 94 felt like a boat. I did ski it in a 186 so that might me part of it. It's got a funky new tip that looks like the bow of a boat. I think it would be pretty awesome in deep powder though.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'm gonna change that to Volkl Mantras after skiing both today. With the Watea 84 a close second. The 09 Watea 94 felt like a boat. I did ski it in a 186 so that might me part of it. It's got a funky new tip that looks like the bow of a boat. I think it would be pretty awesome in deep powder though.
Sounds like they made the tip similar to the legends? Is that a fair comparison if you have seen that ski? You should try that Watea 94 one size down, I suspect you might have a different experience.

wa-loaf

Sounds like they made the tip similar to the legends? Is that a fair comparison if you have seen that ski? You should try that Watea 94 one size down, I suspect you might have a different experience.

I'm not familiar with what the legends have, but this literally looks like the front of a boat. I think they call it a "powder wedge" or something like that. It's got a pretty big upturned tail too. All wateas for '10 from the 94 up will have that tip. A size down would probably be good to try. I'd also like to try them all on a powder day. If I get that opportunity in CO I will. Still leaning to the Mantra at this point though.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Ouch. Sounds like a return to the Atua with the turned up tail. I like the flat tip rather than the V shape. Bummer. I'll be searching for either an 08 or 09 Watea 94 when I need to replace my Atua.

tjf67

AC50. Have the ac4 and they are getting a bit long in the tooth. May be i can get another year out of them. Time will tell

WWF-VT