• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Recommendations

Hellcat

You're not too heavy for the Enforcers. For your skill level I would look at Atomic Maverick 88. It replaced the Vantage line which was a good intermediate ski
Do you think the Maverick and Enforcer Unlimited are more different or more similar?

Juntaclause

This thread has some solid recs. I’m similar to OP in experience, but enjoy some bumps and trees. I also spend 90% of my time skiing with my young kids, who are basically all groomers.

Currently skiing J ski masterblasters, but at 99 under foot it’d be nice to have something thinner when I know I’ll be on groomers all day with the kids.

crank

Wrong forum. I though we didn't do this here.

skiur

Its fine there is a dedicated gear forum and no one uses it anymore. Posting this thread here is going to get the most traffic.

Correct, if it isn't in this forum then I'm (and I expect many others) not going to see it.

crank

If you’d like more feedback this forum https://www.skitalk.com/forums/ is pretty good for that. Bigger community, a lot more gear discussion.
Exactly what I meant by "wrong forum". Sorry OP if I sounded snippy, snarky or cranky.

Ski Talk is a good forum and good people I have participated there more than here and since they were called Epicski before Vail bought them and shut it down. I have met and skied with many ski talkers. Good folks and good skiers all.

However it is full of instructors and gear nerds who will go on for pages upon pages if you ask what ski?. while this forum is, refreshingly, more mountain and experience oriented.

Reactions: Edd

tumbler

Do you think the Maverick and Enforcer Unlimited are more different or more similar?
They are more different I think. If the Mavericks are like the old Vantage's then they are softer than the Enforcer and easier to flex the ski and set an edge. I had a friend who is a similar skier and he demo'd both (Enforcer 93 and Vantage) and didn't like the Enforcer but loved the Vantage. It was much easier to turn and responsive than the Enforcer for him.

crank

If we have to have ski recs. can we just keep it to this 1 thread please.

crank

Yes and I like it that way. I'm sure others do as well because as you say we don't have them.

skiur

Yes and I like it that way. I'm sure others do as well because as you say we don't have them.

It's a friggin skiing message board and your crying about someone asking for a recommendation on skis. You really can't make this $hit up. If you don't want to read about ski recommendations then maybe don't click on the thread titled "ski recommendations". It's really not that difficult. If it wasn't in this forum nobody would see it.

Bumpsis

They are more different I think. If the Mavericks are like the old Vantage's then they are softer than the Enforcer and easier to flex the ski and set an edge. I had a friend who is a similar skier and he demo'd both (Enforcer 93 and Vantage) and didn't like the Enforcer but loved the Vantage. It was much easier to turn and responsive than the Enforcer for him.
Just for the record, I just started using my Atomic Vantage 79 Ti (bought them at the end of 2020) and absolutely love this ski, just after one session. I think they are perfect for east coast groomers. I was really impressed how this ski stays on the edge even on the hard stuff. I've been struggling with carving solid arcs on icy cover with my old skis - they were of softer flex (Rossi S80), and the Vantage bite into the slope and hold the turn. Really impressive. They are light but quite damp and very stable at speed. Short turns, long turns...they feel great. I don't get much pop when coming out of a turn (decompression), but that's fine. They are playful enough. Having 122mm in the shovel and 106mm tail, I'm sure they will give enough float for whatever fluff I'll be lucky to find.

It looks like Mavericks have a very similar construction, so dynamically, they probably will be the same as the Vantage. I would strongly recommend considering them. For about $550 you get a terrific ski with decent bindings.

crank

It's a friggin skiing message board and your crying about someone asking for a recommendation on skis. You really can't make this $hit up. If you don't want to read about ski recommendations then maybe don't click on the thread titled "ski recommendations". It's really not that difficult. If it wasn't in this forum nobody would see it.
It's just that I like this forum as it is and as it has been. How many what ski threads have you seen here? Don't answer because yes I will ignore this thread. But seriously if you're looking for ski advice go to ski talk they have tons of it.

Granite1

Just for the record, I just started using my Atomic Vantage 79 Ti (bought them at the end of 2020) and absolutely love this ski, just after one session. I think they are perfect for east coast groomers. I was really impressed how this ski stays on the edge even on the hard stuff. I've been struggling with carving solid arcs on icy cover with my old skis - they were of softer flex (Rossi S80), and the Vantage bite into the slope and hold the turn. Really impressive. They are light but quite damp and very stable at speed. Short turns, long turns...they feel great. I don't get much pop when coming out of a turn (decompression), but that's fine. They are playful enough. Having 122mm in the shovel and 106mm tail, I'm sure they will give enough float for whatever fluff I'll be lucky to find.

It looks like Mavericks have a very similar construction, so dynamically, they probably will be the same as the Vantage. I would strongly recommend considering them. For about $550 you get a terrific ski with decent bindings.
I have a Vantage 93ti-188 cm that I use as a front side/groomer/hardpack ski and they absolutely rip. I like them a lot better than the Blizzard Brahmas they replaced. I don't take them into the woods/moguls/nats very much (I have other skis for that) but when I do they are good there too, and a shorter length would probably be a great all around-do everything ski. Mount them with a good Atomic binding.