• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski suggestions for a 14 Y/O

jrmagic

For years I have been renting skis for my older son though last year he was near the upper weight limit for junior equipment according to the guys at the shop so I am not sure what I should do this year. He primarily skis trees bumps and steeps and is pretty agressive. My choices are to rent him adult equipment which will cost a good amount more, buy something new that he can use for a year or two and then I will have it for my younger son who is 10 or buy something used. What would you do in my situation and what skis would you reccomend?

Puck it

For years I have been renting skis for my older son though last year he was near the upper weight limit for junior equipment according to the guys at the shop so I am not sure what I should do this year. He primarily skis trees bumps and steeps and is pretty agressive. My choices are to rent him adult equipment which will cost a good amount more, buy something new that he can use for a year or two and then I will have it for my younger son who is 10 or buy something used. What would you do in my situation and what skis would you reccomend?

Go here levelninesports.com. Very reasonable prices on new older equipment.

wa-loaf

Go here levelninesports.com. Very reasonable prices on new older equipment.

This. I've been buying my kids stuff here new and then selling it off (after they outgrow it) at swaps for pretty close to what I paid.

jrmagic

It took me a while but I finally pulled the trigger on the 160 S7 Junior Pro for him @ levelnine. The best part was that there was a special going on yesterday and they included Head Mojo 12 bindings for free:spread: Not a bad deal for under 400 bucks.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Our strategy was to ask the pediatrician. Once they judge that the foot has stopped growing, then it's time to get him something of his own. The yellow brick road ends there.

Then again, I don't ski as good as a 14-yo, so my opinion is worth $0.02. See you at Magic or MRG?

jrmagic

I've rented for him every year but now he is too big for the junior programs and the adult performance gear is a lot more $$ to rent so I got thee figuring he can get 2 years on them and then I can either sell them or hold them for my younger son. I would have preferred a rail mount binding to make things easier for me but given they were free, How could I say no? besides I'm sure he will prefer the flat mounting. I will be renting him boots.

jrmagic

I've had my eye on this ski for several weeks and was searching for deals or old demos but wasn't finding the right type of ski in the right length. Maybe I should sell these bindings and use the proceeds to purchase a rail binding. Hmmmm......

crank

I bought my kid used demos from Evogear.com. They were very reasonably priced and very honest regarding the condition of the skis they sell.