• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown 1.20.10

gmcunni

Date(s) Skied: 1.20.10

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Sundown

Conditions: machine made, groomed, bumps

Trip Report: i was there, i skied.

didn't really expect great conditions tonight, warm days and cool nights don't make for "soft" snow.

Skied 6:30ish to 8:30ish.

Ran into Grassi as i headed out the door and we skied a few runs. NE was roped off when we got up top so we hit Canyon Run, Gunny & Canyon Run again. On the last run down CR we were stopped so the groomers could finish up. The patroller seemed very angry and didn't take kindly to people not stopping immediately.

Grassi took off at that point and upon arrival @ top the ropes were down so i hit NE/Temptor bumps for a bunch of runs. my skills are weak and the bumps were firm so it wasn't a lot of fun.

Bailed after a couple of runs with Mondeo

Grassi21

Look at it this way G, at least we logged a day. :) Not a good day for me today. Felt all funky and out of sorts.

2knees

ice bumps. i need to punch the clock on those and pay my dues. I only have 4 sundown days in this year and 2 were on stinger.

good for you guys. you're better men than I.

Greg

Staff member
The patroller seemed very angry and didn't take kindly to people not stopping immediately.

I chuckle when they get all worked up like this. It's like they think you're going to fly down past them and get eaten up by the groomer.

I got berated by a groom support/guest services guy a few weeks back. I was coming down Upper Nor'easter and patrol was working on an injured skier dead center of the trail at the bottom. I was hugging the far left side like I usually do. He was insisting everyone would go to the right. Eventually I saw them and got to the right side.

The guy was like, "keep your eyes up and pay attention."
Me: "Thanks, I will."
Douchebag: "Good boy." :roll:

Sometimes these guys get on major power trips. By and large though, the patrol staff is pretty cool though. I've had a lot of good conversations with a few of them this year.

MogulQueen

My son, Tucker, and I ripped up Temptor from about 7:30 to 8:30 pm. No one was around. It felt like we had the whole mountain to ourselves. The bumps were firm, but skiable. We tried to work in the left side. Not sure how much impact we had on it. The left side is definately not as tight as the right. A lot of snowboarders seem to choose the left and make the bumps kinda long and odd shaped. But never the less, we tried to work them in. Sorry I missed you all. Hope to meet ya next time!

DPhelan

Ran into Grassi as i headed out the door and we skied a few runs. NE was roped off when we got up top so we hit Canyon Run, Gunny & Canyon Run again. On the last run down CR we were stopped so the groomers could finish up. The patroller seemed very angry and didn't take kindly to people not stopping immediately.

I was stuck in that too, and the mouthy patroller was out of control with his yelling at people. If someone had been runover by a cat earlier in the day it might have been warranted, but IMO, he was just flexing his white cross.

Grassi21

I was stuck in that too, and the mouthy patroller was out of control with his yelling at people. If someone had been runover by a cat earlier in the day it might have been warranted, but IMO, he was just flexing his white cross.

The volume is one thing. But when the offender came to a stop he/she got an earful from said patroler. He said something to me and I bit my tongue and turned uphill to talk to gmcunni.

bvibert

Staff member
On the last run down CR we were stopped so the groomers could finish up. The patroller seemed very angry and didn't take kindly to people not stopping immediately.

Must of been that Bart dude, I hear he can be a real jerk....

;)

bvibert

Staff member
This dude was pretty old and pretty cranky. :) He can't be as cranky as some of the lifties. ;-)

He must have been an impostor, cranky old guys are not allowed! 8)

But yeah, the lifties are a bunch of a-holes...

Greg

Staff member
nah, he was one of the elder statesmen of the ski patrol.

:lol: I know exactly who it is. He bitched at me once on Stinger telling me that I better not even think about hitting blocked features. Meanwhile I was just cruising the trail. He busted me and another AZer for doing something we shouldn't have been too. I was admittedly in the wrong so I just killed him with kindness that time.

bvibert

Staff member
He busted me and another AZer for doing something we shouldn't have been too. I was admittedly in the wrong so I just killed him with kindness that time.

Do tell, I hope you and the other AZer didn't get into much trouble! :-o

Greg

Staff member
Do tell, I hope you and the other AZer didn't get into much trouble! :-o

You know him pretty well. Really well actually. He's this big goofy guy on snake skis.

Greg

Staff member
He doesn't have a pass. He prefers to purchase the equivalent value of daily lift tickets instead. :)

No. That's the other guy on those gay ass snake skis.