• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiis and History.

B

beswift

Today I went back out on X-C skiis after a period of Snowshoeing. The truth would be that Snowshoes were invented by either the Eskimos or some native tribe of Indian while skiis were brought here from Europe. The Oslo museum of skiing has a pair which they claim is over 7,000 years old. The written record contains references to skiis going back at least 700 years. I have read some of the Sagas of the Islanders (translated of course, Iceland in the native language is spelled Island) and they often mention skiing. However, specifically, nothing is stated as to whether or not Lief Ericson brought skiis with him when he discovered America. Futhermore since the various Islanders who invaded America at that time either murdered every Indian they encountered or had no commerce with them at all, it would be somewhat preposterous to think that any natives took up skiing over snowshoeing. Now, I have been thinking about what the advantage Snowshoes may have over skiis when travelling. (It should be obvious that snowshoes serve better around the unplowed camp or town.) I found today that certainly I could cover ground in untracked flats and semi-flats better than I could on Snowshoes. This was with a proper wax for certain. I used Rex Silver Klister today, and I would think that ski waxes have improved over the centuries. The wax was crucial as well. Poling in deep snow gives one no purchase when trying to make headway. (On top of that, I don't see a need for poles when snowshoeing and the Eskimos don't either.) Futhermore, I know that putting skins on skiis gives one an advantage over snowshoes when climbing. So why, in this day and age would one chose Snowshoes over skiis? There's the advantage of being able to go through underbrush better, but in deep snows one doesn't have that as a necessity. Today, I found out what the advantage would be which keeps snowshoes current. It would be that in hilly terrain, when the only way to climb a hill with skiis would be to either herring-bone with waxed skiis or put skins on unwaxed skiis. Then the only way to travers the flats would be to take off the skins or continue with waxed skiis. Therefore, you are losing so much time taking your skins off for the flats and putting the skins on for the climbs that snowshoes would be quicker. Throw in the diminished grip of waxing 300 years ago, snowshoes haven't gone the way of the Teepee for good reason. :beer: