• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smuggs, VT: 01/09/10 <3

campgottagopee

Riv, welcome to the Smuggs club!!!!! I too love the place---just waaaaay cool all the way around. And yes, liftline is the real deal. My fav on trailmap trail 4 sure.

kingslug

Big props for skiing that line. I was there 2 years ago and it was totaly rocked and iced out, wouldn't attempt it at all. Smuggs is definately a hard core mountain!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well yea, but that get skiied way harder.

I think the both of you are talking about two entirely different slots. Never done what you've suggested off Madonna. Have done all the back that camp suggested and the entire ridge between Sterling and Madonna heading back towards the resort.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yup. Totally different spots.

never explored the area you're talking about as I haven't been with others familiar with the area and would be concerned with going too low and ending up on the Spruce Golf Course.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
never explored the area you're talking about as I haven't been with others familiar with the area and would be concerned with going too low and ending up on the Spruce Golf Course.

Wrong spot. Off of Madonna lift. Take skier's right most trail....ski along, you'll see a huge chain linkl on the right...and peak down into the backside (away from notch road), at the end of the fence...drop into a gully with obvious cut marks. Skin back up chillcoot to LT, turn left...rejoin ski trail a few hundred feet below where you dropped in. Prolly and hour round trip....There are also 2 4 season shelters down in that meadow...you could drop down last run, skin up in the morning. Berlinger and beaver meadow shelters.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wrong spot. Off of Madonna lift. Take skier's right most trail....ski along, you'll see a huge chain linkl on the right...and peak down into the backside (away from notch road), at the end of the fence...drop into a gully with obvious cut marks. Skin back up chillcoot to LT, turn left...rejoin ski trail a few hundred feet below where you dropped in. Prolly and hour round trip....There are also 2 4 season shelters down in that meadow...you could drop down last run, skin up in the morning. Berlinger and beaver meadow shelters.

got me all spun around. :lol:

that area you're talking about is no man's land for me. without a touring background, I suppose that would be the case for many.

mondeo

Was there in 8th grade or so on a bad snow year. The terrain looked incredible, just unskiable at the time. On the list of places I want to go for a midweek powder day, but Stowe and Sugarbush are up first.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Was there in 8th grade or so on a bad snow year. The terrain looked incredible, just unskiable at the time. On the list of places I want to go for a midweek powder day, but Stowe and Sugarbush are up first.

I think the harvest would last alot long at Smuggs then Stowe. That place gets tracked out fast.

djspookman

That area is called "beaver meadow" sick low-angle open hardwoods with some help from some local gnomes and crazy Pete.

Mullen

Yo, thanks for the great TR. I needed some Smuggs stoke. I haven't been up that way since two yrs ago. A buddy of mine still works patrol there, so I've gotten a great tour of all his hidden stashes. I'm heading up that way in February. The stuff out back of Sterling is where it's at. I've had some epic runs in there. I always loved just popping out of the trees onto the notch road. We usually just park at that upper lot and loop the back all day long.