• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smuggs, VT: 01/09/10 <3

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Tough call. Counting Notch terrain, what is adjacent to Stowe>what is adjacent to Smuggs.....as a resort, I would probably agree.
Should have clarified not including hike to terrain. Having only been up on the Mansfield ridge once, I really would not be qualified to compare based on that experience.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Outside of the liftlines, my only issue with Smuggs is the conditions can be far more inconsistent than Stowe or Sugarbush. Go there on a day when the natural snow terrain isn't skiing well and you'll get bored out of your mind in a heart beat and wished you were at Okemo.

I tend to make my comparisons over what one might expect over the course of a season, not just the stellar days alone.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I tend to make my comparisons over what one might expect over the course of a season, not just the stellar days alone.
I try to only ski (as much as possible and as much as the need to ski regardless will allow) on stellar days... so it is all the same to me. :)

Kidding aside, this is why I only ski at MRG 4-5 times a year even though I am a shareholder. And why I only skied Magic 1-3 times per season when I lived in MA. But just because conditions are not always great and the mountain does not ski great without great conditions does not lessen the impression any particular mountain makes. Jay skis better than any other mountain around for trees and powder. But its terrain is lack luster. Is it a better mountain because of its consistency? It is a better mountain to ski when other ski areas are not as good for sure. Its terrain is still the same regardless, though.

Heck, I think Cannon is one of the best mountains to ski in New England but it is lack luster 90-95% of the time.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Wow, what a report, it sounds awesome! I've been to Smuggs once in high school and really didn't think much about it. (Man I was really obtuse then!) After reading this report I will have to go back and try again.

Thanks!

SKIQUATTRO

Leaving Jan 22 for 5 days (this is our 4th year in a row) and I've been back numerous times, even 1 time for a day trip..yes from LI!!

Smuggs is one of the best kept secrets, unreal tress (i keep discovering new areas) and some crazy steeps/rocks (robins run being one of my fav....big mtn, i've never expereinced any crowds, and sometimes i'd welcome a lift line to rest the legs....LOVE SMUGGS. We get a condo and dont touch the car for 5 days...kids love it and talk about it all summer

campgottagopee

I think the both of you are talking about two entirely different slots. Never done what you've suggested off Madonna. Have done all the back that camp suggested and the entire ridge between Sterling and Madonna heading back towards the resort.

Yup, diff spots. I just thought being solo going off Sterling would be easier and more likley not a bad thing with the skier traffic in there.

campgottagopee

That area is called "beaver meadow" sick low-angle open hardwoods with some help from some local gnomes and crazy Pete.

Years ago we had a guest drop down in there sometime in the early afternoon----didn't find him until 11PM---boy was his wife PISSED!!!!!

skimore

Years ago we had a guest drop down in there sometime in the early afternoon----didn't find him until 11PM---boy was his wife PISSED!!!!!

It amazes me how some people can have no sense of direction to tell which way to go to get back to the resort........unless this person was injured

campgottagopee

It amazes me how some people can have no sense of direction to tell which way to go to get back to the resort........unless this person was injured

No injury, just got down in never ever land in the dark....I can see how it could happenand I'm surprised it doesn't happen more.