• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So How Good of a Driver Are You....Really?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just read THIS ARTICLE on CNN. Many people would fail a written test nowadays, which is scary. How good of a driver are you? Where do you think the best drivers live? The worst? I know some of you are going to hate the headline, but it is what it is.

I took the test and got a 90 percent. What did you score?

hammer

I only got an 80%...misread one of the questions :)smash: :dunce:) but there were a few answers that, in all honesty, I didn't agree with. Maybe it's all of the years I've been driving in the Boston area...

thetrailboss

Staff member
I only got an 80%...misread one of the questions :)smash: :dunce:) but there were a few answers that, in all honesty, I didn't agree with. Maybe it's all of the years I've been driving in the Boston area...

What questions are those?

I got the pedestrian one wrong because VT has a law that says you only yield to pedstrians when they are in a crosswalk. Can't remember the other one I missed....

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Not a terribly good test, IMO. To me the haul mark of good driving is being able to adjust to varying situations and using sound judgment. Often times being a good driver means disobeying rules of the road to accommodate the situation as needed (within reason). The only time I consider myself a dangerous driver is when I am following someone doing less than the speed limit with no opportunity to pass. Bad habit of mine, but I get frustrated. I have been known to pull over when doing the speed limit or even 5 over when an anxious driver gets behind me and starts tail gating. In general, from having lived in MA and VT and driven extensively in NH, I am most uncomfortable driving in NH due to other drivers. Even compared to driving in Boston, it is funny that it is sometimes more dangerous driving in the Northern New England region. In the metro area, every knows every driver is out for themselves and people are easy to predict. I have a hard time predicting people on the road up here sometimes.

hammer

What questions are those?

I got the pedestrian one wrong because VT has a law that says you only yield to pedstrians when they are in a crosswalk. Can't remember the other one I missed....
I also got the pedestrian one wrong...stopping in the middle of the road for no apparent reason (to others) is an invite for a rear-end collision.

I also got the yellow light question wrong...although I guess one could say that stopping if it safe to do so is better than being prepared to stop. Stopping at a yellow in these parts can also be an invite for a rear-ender...

riverc0il said:
In the metro area, every knows every driver is out for themselves and people are easy to predict. I have a hard time predicting people on the road up here sometimes.
That is so true...I have more problems when I go to visit family in South Jersey because people don't seem to expect more aggressive driving and therefore don't know how to react.

wa-loaf

90%, misread the tailgate question and the yellow light question was vague.

I've driven in Florence and we've got nothing on Italian drivers. Traffic lanes? What are those?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I also got the pedestrian one wrong...stopping in the middle of the road for no apparent reason (to others) is an invite for a rear-end collision.

I also got the yellow light question wrong...although I guess one could say that stopping if it safe to do so is better than being prepared to stop. Stopping at a yellow in these parts can also be an invite for a rear-ender...

That is so true...I have more problems when I go to visit family in South Jersey because people don't seem to expect more aggressive driving and therefore don't know how to react.

While practically speaking you may worry about being hit from behind, it is nothing you can control and therefore you must drive safely according to the conditions in front of you. You can't drive under the assumption that it is unsafe to stop for a hazard just because the guy behind you can't see the same hazard. If you have to stop, then you have to stop. You are in the position of making that judgement call, not who is following you. If they hit you it is their fault.

The only time in a collosion when a vehicle hits another from behind that the following vehicle is not at fault is if that vehicle is cut off and was safely traveling the speed limit (at an on ramp, for example).

I told you all I was the best.

hammer

While practically speaking you may worry about being hit from behind, it is nothing you can control and therefore you must drive safely according to the conditions in front of you. You can't drive under the assumption that it is unsafe to stop for a hazard just because the guy behind you can't see the same hazard. If you have to stop, then you have to stop. You are in the position of making that judgement call, not who is following you. If they hit you it is their fault.

The only time in a collosion when a vehicle hits another from behind that the following vehicle is not at fault is if that vehicle is cut off and was safely traveling the speed limit (at an on ramp, for example).

I told you all I was the best.
Good points...outside of a crosswalk, however, I would only stop for a pedestrian if the alternative was to hit him.

It may not be the "best" way to drive, but I do try to pay attention to what is going on behind me. In a rear-ender, you can say all you want about the driver behind being at fault but that won't make the injuries hurt any less...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Good points...outside of a crosswalk, however, I would only stop for a pedestrian if the alternative was to hit him.

It may not be the "best" way to drive, but I do try to pay attention to what is going on behind me. In a rear-ender, you can say all you want about the driver behind being at fault but that won't make the injuries hurt any less...

That's what the settlement is for ;)

ctenidae

85%.The three I missed were ones I wasn't 100% sure about, and went with the more conservative option.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not a terribly good test, IMO. To me the haul mark of good driving is being able to adjust to varying situations and using sound judgment. Often times being a good driver means disobeying rules of the road to accommodate the situation as needed (within reason). The only time I consider myself a dangerous driver is when I am following someone doing less than the speed limit with no opportunity to pass. Bad habit of mine, but I get frustrated. I have been known to pull over when doing the speed limit or even 5 over when an anxious driver gets behind me and starts tail gating. In general, from having lived in MA and VT and driven extensively in NH, I am most uncomfortable driving in NH due to other drivers. Even compared to driving in Boston, it is funny that it is sometimes more dangerous driving in the Northern New England region. In the metro area, every knows every driver is out for themselves and people are easy to predict. I have a hard time predicting people on the road up here sometimes.

This is actually a compilation of questions that states ask on their exams. The questions are based on the law of the road.

As to the pedestrian question, I was leaning toward yielding to the pedestrian, but the rear end component was the sticking point. I also was assuming that the pedestrian was not out in front of me, forcing me to stop.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
This is actually a compilation of questions that states ask on their exams. The questions are based on the law of the road.

As to the pedestrian question, I was leaning toward yielding to the pedestrian, but the rear end component was the sticking point. I also was assuming that the pedestrian was not out in front of me, forcing me to stop.

Oh. Oh my. Not gonna touch that one. I just hope mrs. trailboss is ok with it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Oh. Oh my. Not gonna touch that one. I just hope mrs. trailboss is ok with it.

HA! Bad pun.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

BTW....this guy makes a good point for the reintroduction of the 55 mph national speed limit and carpooling. Thoughts???? Not political ones though....

Last edited:

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
And from the article:The bottom five ranked states, from worst to best, were New York, New Jersey, Washington D.C., Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

Not too surprising.....they all tailgate like they get bonus points or something. They should pay a surcharge for the privilage of driving out of state payable to the state they are driving to.
:D

tailgating.jpg

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not too surprising.....they all tailgate like they get bonus points or something. They should pay a surcharge for the privilage of driving out of state payable to the state they are driving to.
:D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Forgot to put the upside of the article....the best states were in the Midwest and west IIRC.