• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So How Good of a Driver Are You....Really?

Trekchick

I got a 90..and I guessed at alot of them..lol
I got 90%, too.
The one I got wrong that I am a bit surprised about is:
I said A, because I'm a stickler about not passing on the right in most situations.

8. You may pass on the right of another vehicle when:
A. When traveling on a multi-lane highway carrying two or more lanes of traffic in the same direction
B. The other vehicle is making or about to make a left turn, when a lane is provided to pass on the right
C. Both answers are correct

Having a CDL, I still take written tests from time to time. Thank goodness I don't have to take the road, practical and mechanical tests.

dmc

i thought i was a good driver...
A 20 year record of safe driving..

Until last May...
Subi_RIP_.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
scored an 80

some of those questions seem a bit whack though

who stops at a yellow light? (question 18) I answered be prepared to stop

Oh Yeah and I answered the questions..not based on what I would do but what I thought the correct answer would be...lol

drjeff

I scored a 90%, but I have a "local rules" issue that I've got to take with one of the questions. The question reguarding passing on the right. Atleast here in CT, it's illegal to do on a multilane road traveling in the same direction. I know from personal experience of seeing the flashing red lights behind me after doing so on the Wilbur-Cross Parkway outside of meriden a few years back :mad:

bvibert

Staff member
I scored a 90%, but I have a "local rules" issue that I've got to take with one of the questions. The question reguarding passing on the right. Atleast here in CT, it's illegal to do on a multilane road traveling in the same direction. I know from personal experience of seeing the flashing red lights behind me after doing so on the Wilbur-Cross Parkway outside of meriden a few years back :mad:

AFAIK, it's legal to pass on the right in CT as long as there's more than 3 lanes (not counting slow lanes on uphills) traveling in the same direction. At least, that's what I was told in driver's ed. 15 years ago.

drjeff

AFAIK, it's legal to pass on the right in CT as long as there's more than 3 lanes (not counting slow lanes on uphills) traveling in the same direction. At least, that's what I was told in driver's ed. 15 years ago.

I actually asked one of my patients whose a state trooper about this AFTER I got my ticket, and he told me that in CT, the state law is that unless you're being specifically instructed to by an officer and/or signalman/woman that passing on the right in CT is illegal. Most of the time though it has to be a "blatant" pass where you quickly swerve right, pass the car and then quickly swerve left back around the slower car for them to issue you a ticket for it though, or sometimes an officer may tack it on to your ticket if they already have you for another infraction.

I only wish I had read up and was aware of that "local CT rule" before that infraction :(

Warp Daddy

80 % hey its NYS :D :D

No accidents , no speeding tix in over 20 yrs and frankly imo several questions were deceptively nebulous as others have pointed out.

One can scope tests but the proof is YOUR DRIVING Record that's the real Ka-Ching factor

dmc

Woah, what happened there d? It looks like either a rollover or a big ass animal... Glad you were OK.

Moose - Rt2 New Hampshire..

sucked... worse for the moose...

hammer

I actually asked one of my patients whose a state trooper about this AFTER I got my ticket, and he told me that in CT, the state law is that unless you're being specifically instructed to by an officer and/or signalman/woman that passing on the right in CT is illegal. Most of the time though it has to be a "blatant" pass where you quickly swerve right, pass the car and then quickly swerve left back around the slower car for them to issue you a ticket for it though, or sometimes an officer may tack it on to your ticket if they already have you for another infraction.

I only wish I had read up and was aware of that "local CT rule" before that infraction :(
I thought that passing on the right on multi-lane highways was a no-no in NJ as well...it's OK to pass on the right in MA, though. Go figure.

What usually got me with driver written tests were questions about the penalties for offenses like drunk driving. I don't think that memorizing whether a license suspension is for 60 or 90 days matters, all that anyone needs to know is that they will be in a load of trouble if they drink and drive...

bvibert

Staff member

I just got this from the CT General Statutes:
http://www.cga.ct.gov said:
Sec. 14-233. Passing on right. The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only when conditions permit such movement in safety and under the following conditions: (1) When the vehicle overtaken is making or has signified the intention to make a left turn; (2) when lines of vehicles traveling in the same direction in adjoining traffic lanes have come to a stop or have reduced their speed; (3) upon a one-way street free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles; (4) upon a limited access highway or parkway free from obstructions with three or more lanes provided for traffic in one direction. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the highway except where lane designations, signs, signals or markings provide for such movement. Violation of any provision of this section shall be an infraction.
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/Chap248.htm#Sec14-233.htm

hammer

80 % hey its NYS :D :D

No accidents , no speeding tix in over 20 yrs and frankly imo several questions were deceptively nebulous as others have pointed out.

One can scope tests but the proof is YOUR DRIVING Record that's the real Ka-Ching factor
Just wondering...how long do your insurance rates go up if you have a ticket or accident? I had a few at-fault accidents (last one about 8 years ago) and, in Mass., you got hit with surcharges for 6 years...:-?

drjeff

Now if folks would just head the rule of the road "keep right EXCEPT to pass", this would be a non issue!

I thinking back to my situation, it was on the Wilbur Cross Pkwy (2 lanes), climbing up a hill, where the car infront of me, even though the right lane was open for a few hundred yards behind and INFRONT of it, was "married" to the left lane. I just happned to be the very frustrated driver immediately behind that person at the head of a longer line of cars behind me, and went for it. Unknown to me because of the darkness at the time, the CT State trooper was the 4th car in line. I guess that based on that, if I had been on a 3 lane portion of I-95/I-84, etc instead of the Wilbur Cross, that I would have been okay.