• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Something is Brewing at Sundown at it's not Beer!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Does it bother people that Liftline at Stowe is a Double Diamond? Ripcord at Sugarbush? Escapade or Flume at Killington? Ripsaw at Sugarloaf?

Those are all mountains that are well regarded for their expert terrain, yet they all have some real suspect terrain rated as DD. They also all have trails that are worthy of a DD rating.

It was mentioned that someone skiing a DD at Sundown, Pat's etc. could get a false sense of security that they can ski a DD at the steeper mountains up north and potentially hurt themselves.

That maybe so.

However, couldn't the same thing happen at MRG, where someone skis Slalom Hill and thinks they can also ski Paradise because the two trails are rated the same? Or Wildcat when someone skis Upper Wildcat with ease and thinks they can then go ski Hairball? Or Jay Peak when someone skis the Jet and then thinks they can also ski Face Chutes? Or Cannon, when someone skis Zoomer or Skylight and then thinks they can ski Tramline? Hell there are many people who probably ski Zoomer or Skylight and then find themselves screwed on the Blue Square Vista Way.

All of those areas that so hardcore they don't even offer a DD rating on their maps might create an even greater risk of someone getting in over their head because they don't distinguish what terrain on their hill is truly far and away more difficult than other terrain with the same rating.

I guess my point is that if ripping a mountain for overstating the difficulty of their terrain is what gets your jollies off, well, you could rip on any ski area in the east really. No one has it right. Not even as it relates to their own terrain.

I'm with 2knees on this one. I stopped caring about trail ratings in 7th grade. Other than to troll, I don't know why trail ratings are even a topic of discussion anymore on skiing message boards.

powhunter

Went there last night and it really really is legit. About as steep as bear trap at Mt Snow. But I would only rate it as 1 1/2 diamonds

Savemeasammy

Went there last night and it really really is legit. About as steep as bear trap at Mt Snow. But I would only rate it as 1 1/2 diamonds

I can respect this qualified defense of this run. Well put. I'm not much a Mt. Snow skier, and I haven't skied Bear Trap, but at least you've put the run in some sort of context.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoodCore

Satan's Stairway ski off! Bring it!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

skiNEwhere

Does it bother people that Liftline at Stowe is a Double Diamond? Ripcord at Sugarbush? Escapade or Flume at Killington? Ripsaw at Sugarloaf?

Those are all mountains that are well regarded for their expert terrain, yet they all have some real suspect terrain rated as DD. They also all have trails that are worthy of a DD rating.

It was mentioned that someone skiing a DD at Sundown, Pat's etc. could get a false sense of security that they can ski a DD at the steeper mountains up north and potentially hurt themselves.

That maybe so.

However, couldn't the same thing happen at MRG, where someone skis Slalom Hill and thinks they can also ski Paradise because the two trails are rated the same? Or Wildcat when someone skis Upper Wildcat with ease and thinks they can then go ski Hairball? Or Jay Peak when someone skis the Jet and then thinks they can also ski Face Chutes? Or Cannon, when someone skis Zoomer or Skylight and then thinks they can ski Tramline? Hell there are many people who probably ski Zoomer or Skylight and then find themselves screwed on the Blue Square Vista Way.

All of those areas that so hardcore they don't even offer a DD rating on their maps might create an even greater risk of someone getting in over their head because they don't distinguish what terrain on their hill is truly far and away more difficult than other terrain with the same rating.

I guess my point is that if ripping a mountain for overstating the difficulty of their terrain is what gets your jollies off, well, you could rip on any ski area in the east really. No one has it right. Not even as it relates to their own terrain.

I'm with 2knees on this one. I stopped caring about trail ratings in 7th grade. Other than to troll, I don't know why trail ratings are even a topic of discussion anymore on skiing message boards.

Let's not forget Spacewalk at killington, that was a blue in '92 and now is a DD. That trail is so flat it could probably be a green. I realized it served as a transfer trail to the now removed devils fiddle quad, and passed across OL, but it is still rated a DD.

If people are gonna get hung up on little sundown, I think they should acknowledge that the large resorts do this too.

gmcunni

attachment.php

Attachments

• ss-ski.jpg
    ss-ski.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 152

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Can I be the levelheaded one here?

First things first. Let's face it, Connecticut is not Vermont or New Hampshire and never will be.

Secondly. A new trail at any resort is always great! Sundown does good for their customers. Sundown is to Connecticut what Wachusett is to MA. I just wish we had some more bumps at Wachusett, but they do good and are fun for a local hill.

Thirdly. Is the double black diamond warranted? I happen to think, it's probably a pretty aggressive label. This post shared by Chris has a quote that applies:

• Each resort ranks its own trails based on the difficulty of that particular area. At most resorts, you'll find that about 25 percent of the trails are designated green, about 50 percent are blue, and about 25 percent are black. But if a mountain is steep all over, the green-circle trails will be a huge challenge for novices. They are the easiest trails at that resort, but they may be too tough for someone who is learning.

That seems pretty cut and dry to me. I don't think anyone really thinks this dd is equivalent to a dd at Mad River Glen or Jay or Killington or something. I do, however, still agree that of course there is some marketing involved with making it a double, and I also don't think there is anything inherently wrong with that, as long as it truly is the most difficult trail on the map.

TL;DR - A new trail is good. Sundown's commitment to bump skiing is great. The trail may or may not warrant a double diamond flag, but who cares, really? What is the negative impact to anyone by having it be a double diamond? The answer is absolutely zero.

You guys are all really getting everything up in a bunch over here!