• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Something is Brewing at Sundown at it's not Beer!

MadMadWorld

Can I be the levelheaded one here?

First things first. Let's face it, Connecticut is not Vermont or New Hampshire and never will be.

Secondly. A new trail at any resort is always great! Sundown does good for their customers. Sundown is to Connecticut what Wachusett is to MA. I just wish we had some more bumps at Wachusett, but they do good and are fun for a local hill.

Thirdly. Is the double black diamond warranted? I happen to think, it's probably a pretty aggressive label. This post shared by Chris has a quote that applies:

That seems pretty cut and dry to me. I don't think anyone really thinks this dd is equivalent to a dd at Mad River Glen or Jay or Killington or something. I do, however, still agree that of course there is some marketing involved with making it a double, and I also don't think there is anything inherently wrong with that, as long as it truly is the most difficult trail on the map.

TL;DR - A new trail is good. Sundown's commitment to bump skiing is great. The trail may or may not warrant a double diamond flag, but who cares, really? What is the negative impact to anyone by having it be a double diamond? The answer is absolutely zero.

You guys are all really getting everything up in a bunch over here!

That's some serious diplomacy. Nice work

bvibert

Staff member
attachment.php

Where can I get one?

jack97

A new trail at any resort is always great! Sundown does good for their customers. Sundown is to Connecticut what Wachusett is to MA. I just wish we had some more bumps at Wachusett, but they do good and are fun for a local hill.

I've been a passholder at wachusetts, their bumps blows when compare Sundown. They don't seed a good formation and they don't commit to early season seeding. And that is the reason why Sundown has a loyal following... ownership is providing terrain to a group that wants it.

A new trail is good. Sundown's commitment to bump skiing is great. The trail may or may not warrant a double diamond flag, but who cares, really? What is the negative impact to anyone by having it be a double diamond? The answer is absolutely zero.

imo, Sundown like most place is suffering from terrain inflation due to advances in grooming and ski technology. Since they already have some single D, they have no choice but to use DD.

Madroch

Sundown has a loyal following because: good management who responsibly try to give a wide variety of people what they want while staffing the place with good people- the instructors my kids had 7 years ago still say hello to me every time I see them- and say hi to my kids- the lifties are friendly and generally very good, as are the ticket checkers- patrol loves to chat on the lift- welcome center, bar keeper- you name it- friendly and responsive- while I whine on occasion about not seeding early enough or blowing deep enough- i do so just to keep them honest and not let all the raves I and others email/Facebook them regularly go to their heads.

To all the asshats griping about trail ratings... Ct is not Vermont, never will be- let sundown market the crap out of a new trail they will bump early and often that is probably steeper than anything else in ct. Good for business which is good for regulars like me.

MadMadWorld

Sundown has a loyal following because: good management who responsibly try to give a wide variety of people what they want while staffing the place with good people- the instructors my kids had 7 years ago still say hello to me every time I see them- and say hi to my kids- the lifties are friendly and generally very good, as are the ticket checkers- patrol loves to chat on the lift- welcome center, bar keeper- you name it- friendly and responsive- while I whine on occasion about not seeding early enough or blowing deep enough- i do so just to keep them honest and not let all the raves I and others email/Facebook them regularly go to their heads.

To all the asshats griping about trail ratings... Ct is not Vermont, never will be- let sundown market the crap out of a new trail they will bump early and often that is probably steeper than anything else in ct. Good for business which is good for regulars like me.

Are you guys all really pissy eyed little babies? No one can criticize my mountain!

Madroch

Smoking meat products on the beach and have 6 hours or so to kill...

2knees

you coming to colorado with us? it should be a cake walk after 3 months of the stairway......

planb420

Never been to Sundown but I think it's rather easy to tell what trail that is from the lift.

Seriously...and yet you cant keep them out of your mouth. Just shut the fuck up you sanctimonious sack of shit! I do hope to see you on their slopes sometime, if only to gladly hipcheck you into the nearest and largest tree I can find.

skiNEwhere

I wonder what is considered more sacrilegious, badmouthing ski sundown or trying to convince AZers to have MRG allow snowboarding?

2knees

I wonder what is considered more sacrilegious, badmouthing ski sundown or trying to convince AZers to have MRG allow snowboarding?

lol, that is a very good question!

planb, don't feed the flames. its just a ski area, this thread is stupid and redundant.