• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Speaking of goofy lifts

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Where was I skiing (out west maybe) where the chairlift goes up straight, then plateaus and turns about 45 degrees left before continuing it's upward ascent? Anyone remember where that is?

The first time going up it was rather disconcerting seeing what appeared to be the end of the lift, but no off ramp ;-)

Glenn

Didn't Killington used to have a lift that turned? I haven't been there for about 20 years though.

drjeff

mitchmac

There's one at Breckenridge like that. Even stranger is that it you can load at the 45 degree turn too...

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Breckenridge has several lifts that turn. Most exciting of which is the Snowflake Double, a Leitner Poma fixed grip. Uses a series of horizontal-mounted sheave assemblies to complete the turn. Has multiple bullwheels on the return side, and the line crosses itself several times.

taul

The old Mixing Bowl lift @ Snow that had the chain instead of a cable, and the hood to keep the grease from dripping all over ya.

Those little 2 person clamshell gondolas were pretty goofy as well,

2knees

the bubble "gondola" at snow was ridiculous.

the old poma's at okemo. you could actually launch yourself about 5 feet in the air if you wanted to.

the old giant killer poma at pico. scariest ride in town.

those are the 3 that stick out in my mind.

SkiDork

that 2 place gondi at Sneaux (I guess what you call bubble) where you sat down like a regular chairlift and the gondola closed around you was da bomb...