• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf Lift Accident - 3/21/15

Newpylong

The lift still loads from the side, like Timberline, instead of from behind like basically all other modern chairlifts. Why is that?

Assume you mean enter loading area not actual loading as it's a fixed grip?

The reason for the entrance to King Ping being on the side is for corral space.

tummystix

I think there's still a lot of chairs that load from the side, but most are older ones. You'd think with the update they would have changed it.

MEtoVTSkier

attachment.php

Attachments

• image-KPOpen.jpg
    image-KPOpen.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 233

skiMEbike

I haven't given the new & improved King a test ride yet however, two observations that seem odd to me: First, why would you put the lift shack on the opposite side of the loading area...Isn't it safer/convenient to have it on the same side where you load? Second, It appears from the picture (but not sure) that they used those same lift corral gates from the original lift AND they are STILL bend. They couldn't straighten it out !!

Puck it

The shack was on that side before the accident. Why move it. And the load angle is very shallow. It's not even near 45 degrees. Suck it up and ski will ya!!!!!

delco714

Hi all.just joined here. Been living in Maine and snowboarding at the loaf for three years. We were on the new king pine Saturday.. It's no faster than the old lift..why? Had a decent say otherwise Saturday. Nice to meet you all.

doublediamond

Could be for loading efficiency. The faster the lift, closer the chairs time-wise, more mis-loads. A change could be insignificant, say 425 fpm to 450 fpm. Anyone have non-stop ride times?

delco714

Could be for loading efficiency. The faster the lift, closer the chairs time-wise, more mis-loads. A change could be insignificant, say 425 fpm to 450 fpm. Anyone have non-stop ride times?
I should have timed it.. Does forever count? Almost like skyline... Whew. Shouldn't king pine be able to move as far as skyline does at full speed? There was copious free time for loading on the pine. They also had a big power outage for over half the day..could of used the extra uhc from speed! Hoping next time the wife and I are up to the cabin to snowboard 1/30 things are tip top. Headed to big sky mo this Friday for a week for a "medical conference"!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I should have timed it.. Does forever count? Almost like skyline... Whew. Shouldn't king pine be able to move as far as skyline does at full speed? !

Only if they installed a conveyor loading system. That allows for faster line speed by regulation.

I wouldn't think they'd be able to do unless they changed the loading configuration to straight on instead of from the side.

Seems like a missed opportunity to not go conveyor loading with King Pine upgrade; especially with how successful Skyline has been.

delco714

Only if they installed a conveyor loading system. That allows for faster line speed by regulation.

I wouldn't think they'd be able to do unless they changed the loading configuration to straight on instead of from the side.

Seems like a missed opportunity to not go conveyor loading with King Pine upgrade; especially with how successful Skyline has been.
Precisely! Only experienced folks [should] go on pine..so very curious.. Even with these "new" or half new lifts..it's all feeling so antiquated. Sugarloaf should really have a doppelmayr orange bubble heated lift-like set up or a gondola.. I know I'm asking a lot but hey..sugarloaf talks a lot of fluff..should back it up :)

Edd

Sugarloaf should really have a doppelmayr orange bubble heated lift-like set up or a gondola.. I know I'm asking a lot but hey..sugarloaf talks a lot of fluff..should back it up :)

Boyne hasn't even put one of those in at Loon (yet) and they could really stand to replace the gondy with one.

thetrailboss

Staff member

+ 1

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MEtoVTSkier

Seems really odd that they went to all that effort, and not put in the conveyor like Skyline. Cheapest way out I suppose.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Now would it be Boyne or CNL responsible? If it's CNL it makes more sense why they took the cheap way out. I seem to recall with the whole Sugarloaf 2020 marketing piece that King Pine was supposed to be replaced with a HSQ.