• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf Lift Accident - 3/21/15

machski

My 2 cents says they installed what they did on KP because it was what insurance would cover. Like to like, no additions like a loading carpet. There was not much investment at any other Boyne operated resort period this year.

skiMEbike

I am "ok" with not having the carpet loader....The amount of time where significant lines build up over at KP are pretty rare, typically it is minimal waiting on that chair except for maybe just a handful of days (& even then it is NEVER as bad as it can be at SQ or Skyline). Furthermore how much more uphill capacity would you ultimately get with a carpet? It's just another thing which could break and needs to be maintained....I'd rather "save" the money & use it for something else.

steamboat1

I've said it before & I'll say it again "I don't like carpet loading lifts". Rode the Meadows at Stowe last week again, very uncomfortable feeling loading, not to mention the loading gate wasn't working as it should. Every other chair went up empty. Also as I've said before the chair didn't seem any faster than a regular fixed grip quad.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Takes some getting used to for sure. Maybe Stowe's doesn't move faster, but the Skyline Quad is the fastest FG Quad I've ever ridden. Not HSQ fast, but a significant improvement over a standard FG.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Takes some getting used to for sure. Maybe Stowe's doesn't move faster, but the Skyline Quad is the fastest FG Quad I've ever ridden. Not HSQ fast, but a significant improvement over a standard FG.

The Supreme Triple at Alta works great but it does take getting used to.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Jully

Definitely a strange feeling, but agreed about Skyline at SL. Shawnee put in their conveyor and timed it to I think nearly 3 minutes off the ride time.

cdskier

I rode Sugarbush's new Valley House Quad this weekend with the carpet loading. I was expecting it to be weird and take some getting used to, but it was actually pretty straight-forward and not as strange as I expected. Overall I thought it was a positive experience and I like that new lift. Speed seems a bit faster than a standard fixed grip chair. Hard to tell exactly how much faster without being able to do a direct comparison.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Definitely a strange feeling, but agreed about Skyline at SL. Shawnee put in their conveyor and timed it to I think nearly 3 minutes off the ride time.

I'm honestly surprised that more resorts don't use this option to speed up existing lifts instead of installing new ones. Two obvious candidates in my mind are Jay and Bolton Valley.

mbedle

I've said it before & I'll say it again "I don't like carpet loading lifts". Rode the Meadows at Stowe last week again, very uncomfortable feeling loading, not to mention the loading gate wasn't working as it should. Every other chair went up empty. Also as I've said before the chair didn't seem any faster than a regular fixed grip quad.

I think the Meadow's carpet wasn't syncing right with the lift. I road it last Thursday and almost ended up off the carpet before getting on the lift. I always find them a little unsettling, but that is most likely because I don't use them very often.

doublediamond

I think the Meadow's carpet wasn't syncing right with the lift. I road it last Thursday and almost ended up off the carpet before getting on the lift. I always find them a little unsettling, but that is most likely because I don't use them very often.

In my experience, when the lift is on slow speed, you'll go to the very end of the carpet before the chair arrives. My heart would skipp a few beats before I realized it was normal.

delco714

I used the sister lift at Vail but it's a SIXER! Believe that!! It worked very well at Vail even with two more folks getting on. It does take a few goes to get comfortable. Some people do not fair super well

I'll go further to say, speed is important, especially with longer and longer lift lines. Having a relatively short lift take 10 minutes IN MAINE WINTER is brutal. Additionally I don't get to go it all that often even with my season pass. Would be nice to get more runs in in less time. My wife has a bad back and she can't do all day events much anymore.

Last edited:

Edd

I used the sister lift at Vail but it's a SIXER! Believe that!! It worked very well at Vail even with two more folks getting on. It does take a few goes to get comfortable. Some people do not fair super well.

I think I rode that earlier this week. The conveyor transports you to a second snowy surface, and then you wait, still, for a couple of seconds before the lift grabs you. That was a first for me.

I generally like the conveyors fine. Shorter rides are usually welcome.

delco714

I think I rode that earlier this week. The conveyor transports you to a second snowy surface, and then you wait, still, for a couple of seconds before the lift grabs you. That was a first for me.

I generally like the conveyors fine. Shorter rides are usually welcome.
Yes indeed! Pretty quirky isn't it?

delco714

Sugarloaf dropped from 100 trails to 44 yesterday. Super! That and the fake snow melting the outside film of my anon m2 blue lagoon lens.. :(

Jully

Sugarloaf dropped from 100 trails to 44 yesterday. Super! That and the fake snow melting the outside film of my anon m2 blue lagoon lens.. :(

Looks like a lot of that was safety related, not snowmelt or anything. After tonight they should hopefully be back up there again.