• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Superstar stockpiles!

Savemeasammy

Thinking of heading up tomorrow, what are the chances of long lines on a sunny(AM at least) Saturday in May?

LONG line? Zero.

Unless you mean more than a minute. That may happen a few times!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

chuckstah

Should not be lift lines, but expect SS to be crowded. Could be the last good bump day. It is getting very thin in spots, and while they can probably open next weekend it's no sure thing. Lots of snow will have to be moved. No grooming for tomorrow per the daily report. But grooming and cold for Sunday. Cascade still worth the walk, and lower skyhawk was open today for a quick diversion off SS.

Quietman

It was real good today but just started to rain. Done for the day.

With no groomed stripe to start with tomorrow, is it worth a 2 hr drive. Is there still soft snow between the moguls, or is it down to ice in spots. The pictures from earlier today looked promising.

Thanks!

Domeskier

With no groomed stripe to start with tomorrow, is it worth a 2 hr drive. Is there still soft snow between the moguls, or is it down to ice in spots. The pictures from earlier today looked promising.

It's going to be worth a drive at least twice that length! Seriously, it was fine last Sunday at 8:00AM after a night of rain and no grooming. It will probably be a little firm in the troughs to start, but unless temps fall below freezing you should have nothing to worry about. Maybe wait until midmorning and everything will be creamy.

chuckstah

Thanks!

It is certainly worth it to me, and I also have a 2 hour ride. Plan to be there at opening again tomorrow. The snow was soft today from the first run. Areas that were groomed were the worst, down to some ice, but everything very edgable. Skiers left up high, and skiers right down low were not groomed, and skied well. The middle flats, well, not as good. Over groomed. With low temps in 40's tonight everything should be soft from the start. The only wildcard is what the rain does to the snow on top. May very well need a bit of traffic to harvest the corn.

Quietman

OK, you've got me convinced. I should be there by 10 or so. This will be my 1st bump skiing this year so it should be interesting. :)

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
OK, you've got me convinced. I should be there by 10 or so. This will be my 1st bump skiing this year so it should be interesting. :)

You really want to be there at 8AM. The best skiing is always the first few hours before it gets chewed up by the traffic - and if Cascade is still skiable, it's well worth the walk (Nivis, to Launch Pad) to get the relatively unskied snow. There is also about a 10 minute walk from the base of the Canyon back to the lift.)

Cornhead

I almost didn't go, the NWS forecast went from sunny in the morning to cloudy early with a chance of showers. The forecast then reverted to sunny in th AM. The weather was gorgeous. No grooming overnight, but everything except skier's right, which was in the shade, was soft first thing.

Pulled into the K1 lot just before 8, some guy came up and asked if anyone needed a ticket. I said yes, and was about to ask what he wanted for it, he just handed it to me. Bonus! Paid for half of my gas. Hooked up with Chucksta, and skied till one o'clock. Hiked over to Cascade, skied great, Chuck said alot of snow was lost since Friday. It was fun, worth the effort. Skiing Superstar only kicks my old, fat, ass. I don't mind the headwall and the middle, but by the time I get to the monster bumps at the bottom, I'm toast. Great day, we'll see if it is my last of the season.
1463264058638.jpg
1463264161000.jpg
1463264195445.jpg
1463264211995.jpg
Checkout the custom Volant rack
1463264257553.jpg
"S" is alomst all the way across, we'll see if they can make another weekend.

dlague

I almost didn't go, the NWS forecast went from sunny in the morning to cloudy early with a chance of showers. The forecast then reverted to sunny in th AM. The weather was gorgeous. No grooming overnight, but everything except skier's right, which was in the shade, was soft first thing.

Pulled into the K1 lot just before 8, some guy came up and asked if anyone needed a ticket. I said yes, and was about to ask what he wanted for it, he just handed it to me. Bonus! Paid for half of my gas. Hooked up with Chucksta, and skied till one o'clock. Hiked over to Cascade, skied great, Chuck said alot of snow was lost since Friday. It was fun, worth the effort. Skiing Superstar only kicks my old, fat, ass. I don't mind the headwall and the middle, but by the time I get to the monster bumps at the bottom, I'm toast. Great day, we'll see if it is my last of the season.
View attachment 20162
View attachment 20163
View attachment 20164
View attachment 20165
Checkout the custom Volant rack
View attachment 20166
"S" is alomst all the way across, we'll see if they can make another weekend.

Way to get after it!

chuckstah

SS today, and Cascade yesterday. 2 great spring days.

Attachments

• 1463265441258.jpg
    1463265441258.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 1463265459166.jpg
    1463265459166.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 135

Cornhead

Great skiing with you again Chuck. I thought I took more pics of Cascade. Idk, had a bunch of black rectangles in my gallery, I f'd up somehow.
1463265870140.jpg
Where we started down, a few mandatory grass skiing spots, just 2.
1463265936120.jpg
What was left above us, Chuck said it was continuous just the day before.
1463265990329.jpg
Chucksta just below grass patch #2.

chuckstah

Cascade skied well. The grass skiing looks longer in the pics when it was really only 5-10 feet. It was continuous yesterday but thin. Good skiing with you Cornhead. Cascade from the traverse yesterday. Just a ribbon.

Attachments

• 1463266283597.jpg
    1463266283597.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 133

Quietman

It was fun, worth the effort. Skiing Superstar only kicks my old, fat, ass. I don't mind the headwall and the middle, but by the time I get to the monster bumps at the bottom, I'm toast. Great day, we'll see if it is my last of the season.

I 2nd this quote!! Monster bumps at the bottom kicked my ass until I finally found a decent line after a bunch of runs, skied from 10:30 til 3. My 1st time at K since the 80's, never skied SS before and as my last day on the snow was 3/20, it was a workout-but a fun one!!! Lots of characters out there, late season always brings them out. I only add a few pics as they are from a different perspective from ones already posted. First is full view of SS from the Grand parking lot. 2nd shows the depth on most of the upper half. Easily 10'+ in lots of areas, will see if they want to spend the $ to move it to where it is needed.

DSC01098.jpg

DSC01076.jpg

Cornhead

I 2nd this quote!! Monster bumps at the bottom kicked my ass until I finally found a decent line after a bunch of runs, skied from 10:30 til 3. My 1st time at K since the 80's, never skied SS before and as my last day on the snow was 3/20, it was a workout-but a fun one!!! Lots of characters out there, late season always brings them out. I only add a few pics as they are from a different perspective from ones already posted. First is full view of SS from the Grand parking lot. 2nd shows the depth on most of the upper half. Easily 10'+ in lots of areas, will see if they want to spend the $ to move it to where it is needed.
Glad you decided to go, I hadn't skied K in ten years but got tired driving home from Sugarloaf about four years ago late season. I stopped in Rutland, hit a Dunkin Donuts, made the decision to ski K the next day, slept in my car in the K1 lot. Well, tried to sleep, think I got about an hour just before opening. It was fun watching the groomer. Sleep deprivation, Birdman, and Radio Ron, it was a memorable day. K has been my go to late season resort since. Grateful for K's renewed commitment to early/late season opening. A Hell of alot closer to me than Jay, or the Loaf. Still a challenging 500 mile round trip day trip.

I really appreciate when Skyelark is still in play. Usually alternate runs between Supe and Sky, or some combination. At this point, any skiing is a bonus. Been a great Spring despite the lack of help from Ma Nature, kudos to K.

drjeff

Can we all just revisit this thread at some point next Spring when some of the nay sayers question if K really is the King of Spring or not??

Flat out until some other players MASSIVELY ups their game or develops a lift/trail scheme that has the same type of immediate access to/from the lift to the trail with very little flat runout at the end, nobody in the East will legitimately contend with K and their current ownerships Spring operations philosophy

deadheadskier

Staff member
Never gonna happen. A place like Saddleback or Sugarloaf could go deeper into spring with more terrain, but the business just isn't there. Ks proximity to Manhattan is why it works.