• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The cooking thread-

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Well, I live alone and I generally cook a large meal for myself two or three times a week. I like to experiment because I have no one to complain if what I cook turns out sucking. I just toss it and make a sandwich.

I have a few things I've sort of made from scratch and others I tweaked from recipes, but rarely to I follow a recipe to the letter. But because I only really improve a recipe after another iteration, I figured if I posted what I cook here, others could try it and maybe help improve it or add ideas.

So the purpose of this thread is to advise or contribute a recipe for others to try and/or improve and to share cooking advice in general.

Last night I made my version of stuffed pork chops. It's a good recipe but still needs some tweaking and maybe even some quantifying as I measure a lot by eye.

-4 thick pork chops, or 4 pre-butterflied pork chops, I buy them pre cut, I see 'em on sale
-1/2 a white onion, chopped
-2 cloves garlic
-roughly 3/4 cup chopped button or portabello mushrooms
-3-4 tlbsp butter, unsalted
-1/4 cup chopped celery
-1/4 cup chopped green onions, for color
-3/4 cup crushed crutons, or bread crumbs, plain or italian would work fine

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over med to med-low heat and add the onion and celery. Sweat until onion is clear and celery is tender. Don't saute, if the onions brown, turn down the heat. Add the mushroom, crutons, garlic, and green onions. Continue to add butter as it is cooked off and absorbed. Enough to keep the bottom of the pan coated so the contents don't brown.

Adding a little water would be ok, I think, to moisten the crutons.

Remove and let cool. Prep the pork chops, and fill with stuffing. I find you can add much more than you think. Especially if you have lean chops, they'll stretch pretty easy. If you can't fit all the stuffing in four chops, I save a little and put it on top after the chops have cooked. Fold over the pork chop. I stick a butcher skewer through both layers of chop, over, and then back again to seal them up. I found it works better than butcher twine. If you cut your own chops, butterfly them all the way open, or you can get all the stuffing in. I don't worry if some dribbles out the ends into the pan. Crispy stuffing adds a bit of texture to the dish. Season the outside of the chops with a little salt and pepper.

Heat a frying pan with enough extra v. olive oil to coat the bottom and add the chops. You can sear them over med high heat if you want, but if you use an oven safe pan, they'll stick even with olive oil.

Put under the broiler for five to ten min. If you put them in a hot pan there's no need to flip em.

So if that sounds good to anyone (I like it a lot) try it out. I use the bread crumbs/crutons basically because the starch acts as a binder. You could probably use a protein based binder, like a couple eggs, but you'd have to be careful they don't scramble when cooking the stuffing.

I think the dish would benefit from a bit of sweet flavor, but I'm not sure how to incorporate it. maybe a bit of brown sugar in the stuffing? Maybe a sweet red wine based sauce?

If this stuff interests you, feel free to brain storm.

dmc

Marc said:
I think the dish would benefit from a bit of sweet flavor, but I'm not sure how to incorporate it. maybe a bit of brown sugar in the stuffing? Maybe a sweet red wine based sauce?

I make almost the same thing but I add apples into the stuffing..
I also cook pork chops in the oven with just a half an apple on top of each chop...

ctenidae

I stuff the chops with bread crumbs, butter, garlic, and parmesan cheese. The apples sound good too, though.

I make chicken soup a lot- stock is made from a bag of carrots, a bag of parsnips (adds a nice sweetness, though I hate parsnips themselves), onion, garlic, celery, and a crazy Polish seasoning mix who's name I can't remember (blue can with a Swedish Chef-looking guy). Good stuff.

I also make a pretty mean mushroom ravioli (homemade pasta, filling of portobello and shitake mushrooms, parmesan, and mozzarella).

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Not a bad idea. Apples go well with pork chops. Any particular variety you typically use?

I'd actually be interested to try a little apple juice mixed in the stuffing rather than using water to hydrate the breadcrumbs.

dmc

Marc said:
Not a bad idea. Apples go well with pork chops. Any particular variety you typically use?

I'd actually be interested to try a little apple juice mixed in the stuffing rather than using water to hydrate the breadcrumbs.

Sometimes I coat the top of the chops with apple sauce too... I use whatever apples I have laying around... I eat a lot of apples...

dmc

kickstand said:
cool - the Peter Brady Memorial Pork-Chops-and-Apple-Sauce thread.....

The dude is my hero..
016_christopherknight_adriannecurry_fashionweek05.jpg

ChileMass

dmc said:
The dude is my hero..
016_christopherknight_adriannecurry_fashionweek05.jpg

dmc - isn't he supposed to be one of the - ahem - "biggest" guys in Hollywood? Maybe it's just an urban legend.....

BTW - lamb chops are even better. Brush either loin or (preferably) French-cut lamb chops with extra-virgin olive oil, press on some fresh chopped garlic, rosemary and cracked black pepper and let them sit in that for 30 minutes. Heat a 500*F grill and cook until just seared on either side - do not let them grill beyond medium!! Serve with asparagus, wild rice and a full-bodied Pinot Noir. No woman worth dating can resist this meal........

dmc

ChileMass said:
dmc - isn't he supposed to be one of the - ahem - "biggest" guys in Hollywood? Maybe it's just an urban legend.....

BTW - lamb chops are even better. Brush either loin or (preferably) French-cut lamb chops with extra-virgin olive oil, press on some fresh chopped garlic, rosemary and cracked black pepper and let them sit in that for 30 minutes. Heat a 500*F grill and cook until just seared on either side - do not let them grill beyond medium!! Serve with asparagus, wild rice and a full-bodied Pinot Noir. No woman worth dating can resist this meal........

I guess you don't date many freaky vegitarian chicks...

As far as "ahem" - He's an older guy dating a really hot young model... He has to have some assets to keep her...

ChileMass

dmc said:
I guess you don't date many freaky vegitarian chicks...

As far as "ahem" - He's an older guy dating a really hot young model... He has to have some assets to keep her...

It's OK to date freaky vegetarian chicks - just make sure you don't marry one......

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Marc said:

My wife does all the cooking, 'cause I suck at it, but I do know she added some maple syrup to the pork chops once and it was beyond delicious. Maybe a good option for the sweet flavor you're looking for????

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
ttt

I made my basic stir fry last night- sautee white onion, bell pepper, broccoli, chicken, mushroom.

I eye all the amounts or use what I have in the fridge. Then after they've softened a bit I add garlic, carrot strips, bean sprouts and soy sauce.

Cook up some white rice while doing all this. After the sautee is cooked, remove from heat and once it has cooked a bit, stir in some seasame seed oil, serve over rice.

There are like a billion variations I do on this and could be done... So much stir fry, so little time.

ChileMass

Marc said:
ttt

I made my basic stir fry last night- sautee white onion, bell pepper, broccoli, chicken, mushroom.

I eye all the amounts or use what I have in the fridge. Then after they've softened a bit I add garlic, carrot strips, bean sprouts and soy sauce.

Cook up some white rice while doing all this. After the sautee is cooked, remove from heat and once it has cooked a bit, stir in some seasame seed oil, serve over rice.

There are like a billion variations I do on this and could be done... So much stir fry, so little time.

To make the Thai version - pour in a can of coconut milk, some curry powder to taste and some pineapple chunks. You can get coconut milk in the Asian section of most large supermarkets now. Yum..........

NYDrew

Grilled Portobello Wrap:

1) Get in car
2)Drive to cyber cafe west in binghamton
3) order
4)Remove $7 from wallet
5)enjoy

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
NYDrew said:
Grilled Portobello Wrap:

1) Get in car
2)Drive to cyber cafe west in binghamton
3) order
4)Remove $7 from wallet
5)enjoy

Emm..... That's not quite "cooking." I think you've mistaken "the cooking thread" with "the buying good food that someone else cooked thread."

ctenidae

Cheese fondue is a good one I forgot to mention (THe '70s are cool, aren't they?)

Anyway, grate up 1/2 pound each of Gruyer and Ementhaler cheese (Gruyer's in the "specialty" cheese section, Ementhaler may be, or may be available in the deli as "Danish Swiss"- then never seem to know what Ementhaler is, even though it's right there on the package). Throw it in a fondue pot on medium heat with about 1/2 cup of milk and 2 tablespoons of butter (amounts are eyeballed).

As it melts (stiring occasionally) mix in a dash of salt (the Ementhaler's got some salt already), black pepper, nutmeg and a splash of lemon juice. Once it all starts to melt up good (it'll go to a lump of cheese and a bunch of liquid, then start to combine) add in a couple-three shots of vodka, rum, or the more traditional Kirsch (we don't really like the Kirsch, but that's us). If it doesn't combine nicely, you can add cornstarch.

Cut up a bagette or two into chunks, and dunk away. Good stuff.