• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Golf Thread

drjeff

Okay, so it seems that some of us have slight addictions to hitting the little white ball around the course when we're not on snow. So here it goes.

Myself, currently playing to a 4.5 handicap index. Low round of the year 73 (+1), Career low round (69 multiple times and it's been both a -1 round and a -2 round depending on the course)

My game strengths, iron play and chipping + pitching. The driver is generally friendly to me, and my putter is definately the streakiest club in my bag :mad:

Today, I had a great round going, -1 through 13th holes(with 11 of 13 greens hit), with the last 5 being holes that I typically play very well. Then the rain (read as firehose quality downpour hit), just no way to keep things dry even with the cover on the bag and the bag hidden on the back of the cart backed into some dense woods. No dry towels or gloves either after the downpour :( Post rain, SLIPPERY grips which lead to 2 lost balls and only 1 of the last 5 greens hit :mad: :mad: and and limping in +5 on the last five for a 76.

Oh well, i guess I'll just have to go give it another try again soon enough ;)

Hawkshot99

I dont play 18 holes very often. 99% of the time I go out it is 9 holes.
My home course is par 34. Usually hit a 40-43 or so. Life time low there was a 37.

My strengths are my fairway woods, long irons and my lob wedge(but not the rest of wedges), and my putter if my mind is good. My driver can kill the ball, but I have a inconsistent slice.

I do not take the game seriously at all, it is 100% fun time.

(And using a cart is cheating!):argue::smile:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I just took up the activity and have limited myself to driving ranges at this point (though I have played in one charity tournament 'play from the longest ball style' and am doing another this coming Monday, those are fun :D ). My biggest frustration so far is some days I hit the irons really well but am terrible driving and then other days vice versa. The other frustration is finally cranking one that feels really good and thinking "okay, three times in a row now to make sure it wasn't an accident... which the good one usually was. Gonna get involved in a local weekly clinic and then do some par three courses later this summer once I am a little more consistent.

Trekchick

I[hart] ^^^^^^ :lol:
Lets just say, I'm relatively new to the game. (3rd season) Most of the time I get 9 in after work, occasionally I get 18 in on a weekend. I was thrilled a few weeks ago when I golfed two days in a week with my score 56 and 54 on a 9 (par36). Maybe I should be progressing faster. :(

Philpug

It's funny, last year my golf game was in the crapper and I mountain biked a lot. This year it is the other way around. Other than my last round being awful, I was playing very well this year and enjoying the game again. I will hit the range on the way home today for a bucket.

My Dad is a big golfer..He plays every weekend and at least 1-2 days during the week..plus golf trips down south in the winter. Most of the golf I play is with him. I've maybe played 10 rounds so far this summer. I shoot from about 85-100 depending on how tough the course is, conditions and how well I play. I prefer dry conditions as wet mushy fairways from rain, dew and sprinklers stinks..and you don't get much roll..I like fast greens and hot beverage cart girls. The thing I don't like about golf is the slow pace..and being matched up with strangers.

When it's just me and my Dad and we secure the first tee-time..we finish in less than 3 hours...but even an hour into the day...the pace is like 4 to 4.5 hours and sometimes 5 hours with lady golfers and slow ass'd senior citizens. I also dislike bossy rangers/starters. On one local course..the first hole is a 290 yard par 4 from the whites...and the starter told me I could go when the group in front were chipping. I told him that I was going for the green and he said there was no way I could reach the green. So I waited a few more minutes for the green to clear and ended up pin high to the right of the green. A 75 year old starter who hits it 150 yards off the tee has no right to judge how far GSS with a happy Gilmore type swing can hit. One of the good things about being fatter is that I hit the ball farther..it might also be because my arms are pretty big from pushing around tombstones. Nothing steezier than getting on a par 5 in two and putting for eagle..although I usually end up 3 putting for a dissapointing par..

RISkier

My index is 10.2 though I'm not really playing to it. Haven't posted an 18 hole score since May. It's not that I'm not posting scores, it's just that I've not found time to get on the course. I took a bunch of lessons from a pretty unconventional instructor last year. He really makes you challenge A LOT of conventional instruction. He radically changed my swing without ever really telling me he was going to radically change my swing. I was playing the best golf of my life last fall. Now, I'm just not playing enough to play consistently. My golf has pretty much been reduced to once a week for a 9-hole evening league. Mostly been shooting low 40's. Best 9 of the year was 38. Strengths are fairly constent ball striking and I feel I make a lot of really good short game shots. Weakenesses are a tendancy to really get in trouble with a vicious hook (If I got paid for hooking I could be a rich man) and I wast too many shots around the green.

ccskier

Used to get out more than lately. Played today also, pretty embarrassing, shot a 98, lost about 10 shots to "unfound" balls. Handi-cap used to be about a 16. The key to golf is play, play, play. I do not get out as much as I used to, but I am fortunate that my job is kind of golf related. Tend to shoot about 85-95, personal all time best was an 81, few years ago.

Warp Daddy

Started four years ago at 61 years old I play about 75-80 rounds a season ususally shoot mid to hi eighties depending on the given course . A Bad day is 90-94

Play from the white tees , still use regular flex shafts . But on windy days use steel shafts rather than Greaphite. Always carry a few steel shafts JIC. I Got a Hole in One my second season which was my biggest thrill so far

My best ever was Today an 80 , Best last yr 82 , Best in yr 2 was 81 , best in my first yr was an 88

On Par 60 course which i try to play at least once a week to keep short game sharp i avg 71 but have shot 64 numerous times

Warp Daddy

Okay, so it seems that some of us have slight addictions to hitting the little white ball around the course when we're not on snow. So here it goes.

Myself, currently playing to a 4.5 handicap index. Low round of the year 73 (+1), Career low round (69 multiple times and it's been both a -1 round and a -2 round depending on the course)

My game strengths, iron play and chipping + pitching. The driver is generally friendly to me, and my putter is definately the streakiest club in my bag :mad:

Today, I had a great round going, -1 through 13th holes(with 11 of 13 greens hit), with the last 5 being holes that I typically play very well. Then the rain (read as firehose quality downpour hit), just no way to keep things dry even with the cover on the bag and the bag hidden on the back of the cart backed into some dense woods. No dry towels or gloves either after the downpour :( Post rain, SLIPPERY grips which lead to 2 lost balls and only 1 of the last 5 greens hit :mad: :mad: and and limping in +5 on the last five for a 76.

Oh well, i guess I'll just have to go give it another try again soon enough ;)

Hey a 76 UNDER any conditions is one great score dude !!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
The key to golf is play, play, play.

couldn't agree more

It's funny this thread came up today because I just put my clubs up on craigslist considering they've been collecting dust for four years.

I have an interesting love affair with the game. IF I am at a point in life that I can play often, like twice a week, I enjoy the game and play okay. I've never been great, but I when I played often I would shoot in the 43-48 range for 9. I never strung together that great of an 18, 91 was my best score ever. If I were to go out tomorrow, I'd probably shoot a 60, having not played the game in forever. As they say, the average golfer can't break 100, so I'm uber jealous of all you out there who are shooting in the 80's or lower.

I won't say I'm an ultra competitive individual, but I do expect the best out of myself, so casual golf doesn't really work for me. I look at golf as a game I will pick back up when I retire. It will be good exercise in my later years for the body and mind and I'll enjoy it when I can dedicate the time I feel the game deserves.

Hopefully by then my body will have completely forgotten the massive slice it has programmed in :lol:

Philpug

went out and hit a bucket on teh way home...felt pretty good. Anyone want to play? GSS?

drjeff

Hey a 76 UNDER any conditions is one great score dude !!!

I know, I know, but until the downpour hit, I was most definately "in the zone" and had a hunch that this was going to be a really good round. Oh well, the golf gods just have a way sometime at quickly bringing things back to reality :rolleyes: ;)

went out and hit a bucket on teh way home...felt pretty good. Anyone want to play? GSS?

Me and Atomic Jeff sometimes play Friday afternoons at Bethlehem Muni..from the Blue tees in honor of Blue mountain the true mountain...Hideaway Hills in Kresqueville off 209 is my favorite semi-local course..lots of severly elevated tees..

Warp Daddy

I know, I know, but until the downpour hit, I was most definately "in the zone" and had a hunch that this was going to be a really good round. Oh well, the golf gods just have a way sometime at quickly bringing things back to reality :rolleyes: ;)

I FEEL your Pain :D

Been there too --------- its the old shouda, coulda , woulda thing --- Golf, like life is what HAPPENS to ya when you're busy planning it .-- LMAO

It's how ya handle it that counts . I have a great golf buddy an Ecudorean colleague that when my game starts headin south simply says this thingy ;;; JOOOST HEET DE Ball DUDE --DOOOOON TINK

Philpug

Me and Atomic Jeff sometimes play Friday afternoons at Bethlehem Muni..from the Blue tees in honor of Blue mountain the true mountain...Hideaway Hills in Kresqueville off 209 is my favorite semi-local course..lots of severly elevated tees..
I usually play from the green tees for the type of trails I ski. for some reason, I thought you were more south of the valley.

campgottagopee

Any hybrid fans???? Last year I decided to give them a try by demoing a cleveland hibore 3i. Turns out this thing was SOLID, I mean wicked solid so I bought it. Then bought the 4i, then the 5i. I know, I know, wimp is what your thinking.......but, let me tell you where I find these things absolutely amazing, and that is out of the rough. Those babys cut right thru like butter. Until now I dreaded that 210 yard shot out of the rough, now, no problem just grab my 3i and make a swing. The other impressive feature is how good my "misses" are. If I catch one out on the toe it still goes......catch a 3 iron on the toe and what happens???? Kinda looks like a wounded duck.

That is all