• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Golf Thread

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Glorious blue bird day out for what I think may have been my final game of the season. Went down to my favorite course I played during my first year, Den Brae in Sanborton for nine holes. Called up ahead of time to inquire how traffic was. This is kind of like calling up and asking for snow conditions :roll: "Oh, not many people out there today, things are moving along." Yea, right. Teed off without waiting but after three putting the first for a triple boogie, suddenly, two groups are backed up on tee two and looks like two double cart slow pokes on holes two and three are holding everyone up. The twosome in front of me invited me into their group and we enjoyed each other's company for the remainder of the eight holes.

Don't get to play with other people very often, but it was a lot of fun. It also slows my very fast play down somewhat which is a good thing. Luckily, play picked up by the long par 5 on hole four and we were good to go.

I swung the clubs rather well today (unlike most days) but putted very poorly (again, unlike most days). Seemed fitting that on the day when two ski areas fire up the guns and on the verge of a few inches in the mountains, that I would score not one, not two, but :snow::snow::snow: and a nine for a 9 hole total of 65.

My short game was really a mess and for once I took more swings inside 100 yards than outside. I made a LOT of good recoveries and good decisions but still managed to play the ball out of the wrong fairway on three different holes.

My swing felt good but I am still really pushing the ball on woods and some hybrids. My playing partners noted that I had a good swing but was just hitting the ball "early" which I see as meaning what I already know about my swing... that I am not getting my arms turned over at the right time. Will be seeing a pro about that next season.

For now though, I felt really good about a lot of shots today even though my short game was a total mess. I rarely three putt but did so four times today and only had a single one putt. That doesn't count the three or four double pitches/chips because I came up short. But I could care less about my score as I got good distance and good connection more often than not... regardless of direction of ball flight.

The bag came out of my trunk for the first time this summer and skis are being picked up from the shop tonight. Time to close this thread down, lol.

ccskier

Played twice this week. Tuesday was a treat, http://kittansett.org , shot a 95, place kicked my ass. Wind, tall grass and awful putting killed me. Today I played at http://www.southersmarsh.com/ sweet little executiveesk course. We played a scramble, not so hot again at -1. It was freezing out and windy. Today was the first time I can say my cold went through my body in about 6 months. A few more days of the golf season left.

drjeff

Glorious blue bird day out for what I think may have been my final game of the season. Went down to my favorite course I played during my first year, Den Brae in Sanborton for nine holes. Called up ahead of time to inquire how traffic was. This is kind of like calling up and asking for snow conditions :roll: "Oh, not many people out there today, things are moving along." Yea, right. Teed off without waiting but after three putting the first for a triple boogie, suddenly, two groups are backed up on tee two and looks like two double cart slow pokes on holes two and three are holding everyone up. The twosome in front of me invited me into their group and we enjoyed each other's company for the remainder of the eight holes.

Don't get to play with other people very often, but it was a lot of fun. It also slows my very fast play down somewhat which is a good thing. Luckily, play picked up by the long par 5 on hole four and we were good to go.

I swung the clubs rather well today (unlike most days) but putted very poorly (again, unlike most days). Seemed fitting that on the day when two ski areas fire up the guns and on the verge of a few inches in the mountains, that I would score not one, not two, but :snow::snow::snow: and a nine for a 9 hole total of 65.

My short game was really a mess and for once I took more swings inside 100 yards than outside. I made a LOT of good recoveries and good decisions but still managed to play the ball out of the wrong fairway on three different holes.

My swing felt good but I am still really pushing the ball on woods and some hybrids. My playing partners noted that I had a good swing but was just hitting the ball "early" which I see as meaning what I already know about my swing... that I am not getting my arms turned over at the right time. Will be seeing a pro about that next season.

For now though, I felt really good about a lot of shots today even though my short game was a total mess. I rarely three putt but did so four times today and only had a single one putt. That doesn't count the three or four double pitches/chips because I came up short. But I could care less about my score as I got good distance and good connection more often than not... regardless of direction of ball flight.

The bag came out of my trunk for the first time this summer and skis are being picked up from the shop tonight. Time to close this thread down, lol.

In a golf thread is about the only time that we all hope against seeing a :snow: ;)

I'm debating whether or not I'm going to play this coming Wednesday. I'm going to what looks like a REAL boring lecture Wednesday at Foxwoods. It will be tempting to pop right across the street at play a round at their FABULOUS Lake of Isles Course, except that it's supposed to be in the mid 40's and breezy and maybe even some snowflurries around here Wednesday AM, and making a full shoulder turn in a bunch of layers isn't the easiest of things to do ;)

ccskier

In a golf thread is about the only time that we all hope against seeing a :snow: ;)

I'm debating whether or not I'm going to play this coming Wednesday. I'm going to what looks like a REAL boring lecture Wednesday at Foxwoods. It will be tempting to pop right across the street at play a round at their FABULOUS Lake of Isles Course, except that it's supposed to be in the mid 40's and breezy and maybe even some snowflurries around here Wednesday AM, and making a full shoulder turn in a bunch of layers isn't the easiest of things to do ;)

I did it today, wear less layers and ignore the cold. That course is worth it.

I think I'm done playing golf for the season unless we have an Indian Summer..I'm not a fan of playing in cool weather with fallen leaves everywhere..I'm a fairweather golfer..

FRITOLAYGUY

Played yesterday shot a 97, wasnt too bad for not playing in a good month and a half.. 20 mph winds didnt help but it was 81 blue sky and sunny out. The short game defidently cost me at least 3-5 strokes as thats the first thing to go when not playing for awhile, driving was horrible lots of duck hooks and slices, the 2 i did hit good played about 275 which is below my avg when i hit it good of about 285 with an occasional 295-300 when im playing often. All in all still summer rates here in FL 17 bucks for 18holes with a cart ya you cant beat that, the same round will cost 100bucks in 2months.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
One more before the end of the season, woot! I'll keep swinging the clubs until it starts snowing. :snow:

Today had its ups and downs. Some really good ups like a pair of boogies on my usual two worst holes at Den Brae... their long par 5 fourth hole and the dog leg left uphill to the left par 4 sixth hole. A couple of double boogies due to two putting. Then there were some awful holes such as a three putt on the 1st hole and hacking my way back home 30 yards at a time on the 9th ICK!!!

After two holes, I was right up into another group as they were teeing off as I boogied the 2nd hole. Turns out they had another single that wanted to play fast, so we went on ahead. Of course... I hacked that par 3 playing through and ended up picking up in embarrassment after passing double boogie.

The rest of the game was interesting. My partner was a pretty good golfer in my eyes and it definitely helps your game playing with a better player. I like fast play but this guy was just a hair too fast for me which made me feel slightly rushed. I suggested he go on ahead once we got out far enough from the last group but he insisted we keep on playing together.

I really enjoy playing with company, so that was great. Very gracious of the gentleman to opt to play with me when he wanted to burn back to the clubhouse ASAP for a quick round. I should never have accepted his offer for a "tip" though. Upon learning I was a first year golfer that still needs to have a first lesson with a pro, he proceeded to try to explain a lot of my swing faults to me and offer solutions. The thing is, I already know what my swing faults are and when I tried doing things differently per his suggesting, I lost my swing and really broke down on the last two holes. A few of his suggestions did help on a few tricky shots, but I didn't enjoy pointers or tips after every second or third swing.

Biggest take away from today was I brought the woods but didn't pull them out of the bag aside for warming up. I always knew I could play a full length course with no woods... but I felt I would be significantly handicapped by at least one stroke per hole and two strokes on the par 5. Turns out I can make the par 5 in regulation using just hybrids and irons easily and with a better aimed approach shot, I could have been shooting for par. The ironic take away from today was that I was probably handicapping myself by teeing off with woods that I couldn't hit straight rather than using a club I could swing straight and accurate. My hybrid and iron play is usually between 170-190 for longest distances and those distances times two or three gets me to the hole every time. I won't be shooting for birdie anytime soon... but when my goal for par is double boogie and I treat a boogie as a birdie... that works fine for me.

Warp Daddy

Sounds like your still having fun with it -- great

Nothing wrong with using "YOUR" best club off the tee , Keeping it on the short grass will do much to help you achieve your goal of Bogie golf

campgottagopee

Final tourney of the year in the books. Just an amazing day here in CNY yesterday with sunshine and a few clouds but NO WIND and 50. Perfect for the annual cross country golf tourney, par 45 in 10 holes--sooooooo fun playing those long ass holes. We finished 3 under 42 wchic was good enough to get half our money back---yipee---40 won the darn thing so we were in the hunt for sure. By no means done for the year we'll play here as long as the course is open......gotta get ready for the Pro-Am in Feb---this year it's MEXICO!!!!!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Hot damn, Golf Thread 2008 will not go down without a fight! Been working hard at work lately so I really owed it to myself to leave two hours early and barely squeeze out 9 holes at the local course.... just getting back to the club house before sunset. Then took the puppy out for a walk and experienced a brilliant and amazing sunset full of sublime color. Ari didn't think too much of it though.

After many attempts, mostly foiled by busy courses due to the on course condos and resort, I finally managed to play the White Mountain Country Club (which actually boarders my place... we walk past the par 3 11th every day on our walks with Ari around the perimeter trail). The place is horribly expensive and busy on the weekends but is playable after work during the week. Fall rates make the place even better.

I started off horrible with no warm up. Started swinging okay on the third hole but my wedge play was suspect. Finally hit my stride on the long par 5 fifth hole and managed a boogie after missing a putt for par (this got me really excited!). Proceeded to hack my way around the rest of the course playing really sub-par gold.

The sub-par golf can partially be blamed on swing changes I made on the fly. I experimented with a little more back bend and less knee bend in my stance to really good results! But I also had a lot of mis-hits because I had not practiced that swing and it was not consistent. But I had a couple of slamming fine swings that went long (at least for my usual club). Once I solve the push next year with some lessons, I will really be enjoying the game.

Had the notion that if I can swing a 6I 160-170 yards and the green is 320 away, I can more accurately get to the green in two 6Is than a wood a short iron. Worked pretty well except for my wedge play was suspect.

Not a huge fan of White Mountain Country Club. After wanting to play at that course all summer, I was unimpressed. Very few trees, wide open fairways, and the holes just go back and forth up and down each other. No real hills or obstacles or funky bends. A great course if you can bomb a driver straight but I like funky golf and this was about as bland a course as I have played. Nice to try but my local in town option will continue to be the local par 3 where I never need a tee time, can play for $10, can stop by anytime and get on the course without traffic, and don't have to deal with the "resort atmosphere" as this course really caters to the bed base.

A fun 1.5 hours out on the course! I still need to play the back nine though which has a few interesting looking holes. That may just do it for the season for real this time.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Got out earlier this week for one more round. Did the back 9 at White Mountain to see how it played. Much as I suspected, the first three or four holes were really fun and interesting but after that, the course plays side by side the front 9 in pretty boring fashion though hole 18 does have a water carry about where most people's drives would land (not that I needed to worry about that! I lay it up by default, not due to thinking about how to play the shot!). I played rather poorly but better than I had played the front 9. It is amazing how playable a par 4 is with a 6I from the tee. I still managed to get myself into trouble a few times though, LOL. Was the only person on the course, sweet.

Bought "How to Break 90" and How to Break 100" (not that I have 90 in my sites yet LOL but the information is still applicable, especially course management). I wish I had read these two books prior to starting to play the game. It took me six months to come to some realizations... and even more importantly... to actually implement these realizations on the course while playing!!!! (I know my accuracy with the 3W is not that great... but look at that open fairway! I am swinging good today and I want to have fun so I will just take a nice easy tee shot with the 3W..... into the trees :roll: -- knowing and doing are two very different things in golf!!!).

Any ways, I had already come to many of the same conclusions such as skip the driver, focus on breaking the course up into shots, playing boggie golf, personal par rather than course par, putt > chip > pitch in that order, not following the course design but rather shooting for the most open fairway area, avoiding trouble areas even if it is the direct line, not making one mistake cost two strokes, etc. It would have been a lot nice to have read through these books 6 months ago rather than finding this stuff out for myself the hard way!

Looking back on my first season, I noticed a HUGE drop in my effectiveness as a golf player and increase in scores versus par when I moved from par 3 courses to regulation length 9 and 18 hole courses. I stopped playing the smart golf that I played on par 3s only using irons, wedges, and my putter and started making dumb decisions on what club to play, how to play it, etc. I changed my game and was playing clubs I had not mastered and was not playing my game. The day I realized I could make course par, let alone my personal par, with no higher a club than a 6I was huge. I just need to consistently play that way instead of getting up to the tee box and thinking "I would really enjoy swinging a wood for this shot...." :D

drjeff

Got out earlier this week for one more round. Did the back 9 at White Mountain to see how it played. Much as I suspected, the first three or four holes were really fun and interesting but after that, the course plays side by side the front 9 in pretty boring fashion though hole 18 does have a water carry about where most people's drives would land (not that I needed to worry about that! I lay it up by default, not due to thinking about how to play the shot!). I played rather poorly but better than I had played the front 9. It is amazing how playable a par 4 is with a 6I from the tee. I still managed to get myself into trouble a few times though, LOL. Was the only person on the course, sweet.

Bought "How to Break 90" and How to Break 100" (not that I have 90 in my sites yet LOL but the information is still applicable, especially course management). I wish I had read these two books prior to starting to play the game. It took me six months to come to some realizations... and even more importantly... to actually implement these realizations on the course while playing!!!! (I know my accuracy with the 3W is not that great... but look at that open fairway! I am swinging good today and I want to have fun so I will just take a nice easy tee shot with the 3W..... into the trees :roll: -- knowing and doing are two very different things in golf!!!).

Any ways, I had already come to many of the same conclusions such as skip the driver, focus on breaking the course up into shots, playing boggie golf, personal par rather than course par, putt > chip > pitch in that order, not following the course design but rather shooting for the most open fairway area, avoiding trouble areas even if it is the direct line, not making one mistake cost two strokes, etc. It would have been a lot nice to have read through these books 6 months ago rather than finding this stuff out for myself the hard way!

Looking back on my first season, I noticed a HUGE drop in my effectiveness as a golf player and increase in scores versus par when I moved from par 3 courses to regulation length 9 and 18 hole courses. I stopped playing the smart golf that I played on par 3s only using irons, wedges, and my putter and started making dumb decisions on what club to play, how to play it, etc. I changed my game and was playing clubs I had not mastered and was not playing my game. The day I realized I could make course par, let alone my personal par, with no higher a club than a 6I was huge. I just need to consistently play that way instead of getting up to the tee box and thinking "I would really enjoy swinging a wood for this shot...." :D

Riv, sounds like a solid season which has undoubtedly given you a warm weather addiction to complement your pre-existing cold weather addiction ;) My prediction is come May/June, you'll be looking for the "daily double" - some morning turns followed by an afternoon 9/18! :lol: