• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

JoeB-Z

Got there at 2PM today and Red was running fine. It was actually a plus as Trick was the way down. Really empty. The groomers are now a really nice base and the skiing was fast and pleasant. Talisman will be fun this weekend as I suppose the bumps are all there and the fresh is coming.

letitsnow1

Another awesome day, everything skied great. There were some lift lines in the morning but they disappeared when they got red going. All parking lots were full

slatham

IMG_6850.jpegIMG_6853.jpegAmazing day at Magic with reported and believable 25-30”. Quad ran contrary to reports it was down for the season (I think he meant afternoon the other day). Red ran as well, with one minor hiccup for 10 minutes. With so much snow I leaned more to the steeps woods that need a lot of snow (Voodoo, Wardrobe and few off the map). Redline, TZ, Goniff. Great day. Early loading of Quad was a nice touch given line waiting.

ne_skier

Wish I was there today. Saturday didn't have the great weather but that was the best powder skiing I've done in a while. Hope this stuff sticks around for this coming weekend. Nice to hear they ran Red, I was under the impression that perhaps staffing issues limited the lift lineup to just Black. It's 2-3 more minutes on the way up but having that lift running makes skiing Green Line, Disappearing Act, etc much more enjoyable.

NYDB

Running red and black is the next level for Magic. Hopefully this is the standard operating procedure for snowy weekends moving forward. All lots full, max capacity, and no lines.

KustyTheKlown

Wish I was there today. Saturday didn't have the great weather but that was the best powder skiing I've done in a while. Hope this stuff sticks around for this coming weekend. Nice to hear they ran Red, I was under the impression that perhaps staffing issues limited the lift lineup to just Black. It's 2-3 more minutes on the way up but having that lift running makes skiing Green Line, Disappearing Act, etc much more enjoyable.

Chatted with patrol chief on the chair. Staffing was why it opened late. Just not enough bodies to prep the place timely

ne_skier

Might be a taboo question but if you can run Red, Green and Black on weekends from Christmas to St. Patrick’s with no lines and you have the staff there to do it, would it make sense to raise the ticket limit slightly? Wasn’t there on Sunday so I’m not sure what the trail crowding got to. As for parking they do have Lot C, it wasn’t plowed Sunday morning if I recall correctly so it likely wasn’t needed to hit the current limit. Definitely love Magic’s low crowds but if another 100 people could help finance some snowmaking upgrades, a beginner lift, etc I wouldn’t protest it.

MG Skier

Just my $.02, I did feel the mountain had more skiers on it Sunday when both lifts were spinning and servicing the summit.I found myself navigating skiers way more than normal on UMC and intersections off of UMC. (I know, GO WEST. Got It!) It still wasn't crazy. Yeah the Green could help keep the less experienced skiers off the summit and I think I agree with you that another 100 people wouldn't be terrible. Well, until we need a seat at the bar or to order a beer.

What a great day yesterday, I wish my legs were as strong as my will.

slatham

Ticket limit will be raised with Quad now running. How much will depend on the data they get from this year with new scanned ticket/pass system on pass holder attendance. For instance, there was one crowded Saturday earlier in year where pass holder attendance was lower than projected so they could have sold more tickets (and in fact they did the next day based on that). But even with the higher sale limit lines are expected to be very manageable.

From what I saw and heard from others there was minimal trail crowding yesterday, caveat being I was on trails and glades that I would not expect to have much traffic to start with. But the runs I did on mellow terrain had no crowding, like a run on Kinderspiel with zero people, and Showoff and Carumba with a couple people but basically empty. Even Hocus Pocus which had beginner traffic from Wand and people coming down Black Line was less than normal compared to other resorts.

Apparently they did have people parking in C Lot.

Newpylong

I think the cap should be raised (assuming there is adequate downhill capacity open) - only way to stay viable and get a ROI on that lift.

Where is Lot C? The smaller lot behind B?