• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

Bubba

3/17 is a long ways off in this weather. I don't think they will make it at all.
I missed the 3/17, thought he was talking this weekend. Looks like another close to inch of rain coming Sunday. That will likely be the coffin nail.

Newpylong

It's so lame that they turn the Webcam off when the weather's not good. It should be on 365
You may be reading into things too closely there - there is nothing to hide, the weather is hideous across the Northeast. Their cam has been down several times this year including during good snow storms and snowmaking temps. My guess is they forget it's even there until someone tells them it's not working.

slatham

They need this weekend’s storm to break the right way. Definitely possible but still highly uncertain regardless of what you may read on social media…..

Last edited:

drjeff

I just feel bad for whoever rented the place today. Oof.
Today, if they have it patched together won't be too bad. Supposed to be dry the majority of the the day. It's tonight when it's going to get UGLY... Tomorrow will be time to asses the overnight carnage and get a plan in place ops wise for the weekend, and then start sacrificing things to Ullr to get the Sunday/Monday stomr potential to deliver!

NYDB

I can't believe they didn't lose tali because of the lower wiz runout. Or maybe its still TBD but they have updated the trail count and its still there listed as open.

Vertigo too. Cam looks bleak

letitsnow1

The snow report says "there will be thin cover, bare spots and open ground to navigate on certain trail areas like Hocus Pocus, lower Wand, and Upper Wizard to Talisman". If tali itself is good they may keep it open with walking required

JoeB-Z

The snow report said it all today. Actually what was open skied well because it never got mushy. I think I have talked myself into going tomorrow. It will get firm enough. Two things. If it looks like boilerplate, it is. Also, when you traverse over from Showoff, beware the wet spots or you are doing a lot of poling. I was thinking it would make more sense to use Red, but there seems to be some sort of maintainence going on there. Maybe just the Quad is the new toy!

ne_skier

I would concur that anything merging into LMC will require some slightly uphill cross-country skiing to get over to Black, especially in these conditions. Somewhat applies to Showoff too, I noticed a lot of that traffic shifted to Hocus Pocus last weekend.

MG Skier

Yesterday was great. I was expecting significantly more damage. Grooming was darn good for what was there. It was a bummer seeing all the bare ground on the trails I skied last weekend! Hoping for the bigger number in the snowfall predicted for this weekend!

slatham

Lifts loaded a bit after 10 and ran until 5 with the clocks changing. As I am sure many know, the Mad River Valley was without power until 1 or so. Fun time at Magic. Need this weather pattern to hold.

ne_skier

If precipitation on the liquid side is coming their way this week, which it seems like it is, it would be wise to pack down this new snow on most, if not any trail they feel can survive it. If the natural snow that fell on grass not along main routes won't survive the coming rain, and this could be a controversial take, would it be worth sacrificing less-important trails by using their snow to keep the main routes open? Like more or less calling it for Trudy's Run and Broomstick to keep Lower Wand/Hocus and Upper Wizard open, respectively. I guess it depends on feasibility and how positive your outlook is for the rest of this winter.

JoeB-Z

If precipitation on the liquid side is coming their way this week, which it seems like it is, it would be wise to pack down this new snow on most, if not any trail they feel can survive it. If the natural snow that fell on grass not along main routes won't survive the coming rain, and this could be a controversial take, would it be worth sacrificing less-important trails by using their snow to keep the main routes open? Like more or less calling it for Trudy's Run and Broomstick to keep Lower Wand/Hocus and Upper Wizard open, respectively. I guess it depends on feasibility and how positive your outlook is for the rest of this winter.
Pack down all the snowmaking trails tomorrow and let them freeze overnight was my thought. Including Wizard and Talisman.