• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 12/10 - 12/12 Storm Discussion Thread

freezorburn

wondering same about entire weekend in S. Vt....

S vt. Got hammered with rain, then they got some snow at the end < 3". Temps are dropping fast. Figure conditions would be hardpack with only the snowmaking runs open.

I'm Heading up For Monday and Tuesday for the Snowmobile opening day. wish for snow

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
On a slightly side note, western and northern MA, and Southern NH got blasted with ice. Power's out all over the place, trees down, roads blocked. Use extreme caution when driving from the rain areas to the hopefully-snow areas!

jaywbigred

Asuming I have power and the cell tower on Mount Snow has power, I'll post a first hand account of Southern VT later this evening. I'm guessing that "shiny" migth be one of my descriptive terms ;)

Defiantely looking forward to this...friends of mine will be driving from New Haven to Stratton, so I'm equally interested in road conditions as I am in on-slope snow conditions.

MommaBear

There is currently no power at Mount Snow and our condo (3 mi south) has no power (thou it did earlier this morning). There is no idea on when the power will be back on (they are talking Monday for Keene NH). Our maintenance guy says its "real ugly" and people are being encouraged NOT to travel at this time.

WJenness

I killed my SR trip for a multitude of reasons...

But I may change my mind as we don't have power at home... If the power isn't going to be on at home all weekend, I might as well go to SR and hang out at my buddy's condo, even if the skiing sucks.

not sure yet.

-w

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Snow conditions out back in my lost ski area are comicly bad. On the plus side, alot of the brush got flattened and locked in so as the snow piles up the skiing back there will start to get real fun.
PS...weather men SUCK at their jobs.

tjf67

Snow conditions out back in my lost ski area are comicly bad. On the plus side, alot of the brush got flattened and locked in so as the snow piles up the skiing back there will start to get real fun.
PS...weather men SUCK at their jobs.

It stopped snowing in LP. We ended up with 8 in the city over a foot on the hill

tjf67

Crust and slop or fluff? Might have to post a Sugarbush v. WF thread. :) If WF got the goods, we might have to rethink 'bush next week.

We did not get any rain out of this. F the noreasters give me the lake effect and clippers any day of the week.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Rad. I don't feel so bad about making the decision to work today. I could not have possibly decided any other way. But at least I didn't miss much. Tomorrow should own.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
This morning was crazy here in Ashland. I woke up to the dog whinning to go out at 5:30am. I grabbed the alarm clock, took a look at the time, and then say a blue flash out my window and the power went out. Getting a dog out for a walk while is pitch black in the house and you can't find a flash light SUCKS. Then we get outside... torrential nearly freezing rain. The worst rain I can ever remember being in. Slick frozen ground, I am sliding all over the place, can't see, its pitch black out with no light, and the plow guy is trying to do his thing while the dog is trying to do her thing. Just a sucky wake up call, for sure. Net loss of snow big time here just south of the Whites though the mountains faired significantly better.

tree_skier

Asuming I have power and the cell tower on Mount Snow has power, I'll post a first hand account of Southern VT later this evening. I'm guessing that "shiny" migth be one of my descriptive terms ;)

About 3 inches of solid ice. Snow was shut down today, no power. we evacuated today (with fully gassed Stihl), roads are iffy with trees still falling.

awf170

Rad. I don't feel so bad about making the decision to work today. I could not have possibly decided any other way. But at least I didn't miss much. Tomorrow should own.

I was thinking about joining you at Jay tomorrow, then I saw this:

Saturday: Mostly sunny and cold, with a steady temperature around -4. Wind chill values as low as -23. West wind 7 to 10 mph becoming south.

Yeah, no. I like my face and toes the color they are.

Glenn

My wife and I have been up at Mt. Snow since Monday....helluva storm Thursday into this AM. We rented a condo at Seasons I think we were the only ones in the entire complex...aside from one or two other cars I saw.

The power went out once or twice last night/early this AM. We got up around 8AM (Ha! Vacation time!), made some breakfast and grumbled that it was still raining. I started to look outside and there was a A LOT of ice on the trees. Around 10/10:30ish (IIRC), the sun started to peak out. About the same time, the power went out again. We figured we'd load up and head over the mountain. I think we were over there around 11:30/12. They were shut; some dude in the lot told us ETA was 12 to 24 hours before the power came back on. Disapointed, we headed back to the condo, packed up our stuff and headed south to CT.

Once we started driving south on 100, we realized how bad this storm was. Power lines were sagging, trees were snapped...it was pretty crazy. I had my wife operate the video camera at a few points while I drove. It was amazing to see how beautiful the ice looked in the sun, but at the same time, how destructive it had been. Things got really interesting once we hit Rt 112 and headed south; lots of downed lines and trees. Some trees were still in the road. Power was out from the mountain....and quite a ways down south. The first place that had power was Greenfield MA; all other places were dark.

I took a whole bunch of pics and I'll be sure to post them later. I wouldn't be surprised if Mt. Snow doesn't open tomorrow. They've already cancelled a bunch of events for the weekend.

On a related note...crazy weather this week up there. -2F Monday AM, Sunny and fresh snow Tuesday, 51F and rain(downpours kids) Wed, Upper 20's and freezing rain on Thursday.... Gotta love New England.