• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 2/12 - 2/13 Storm Discussion Thread

danny p

Yeah, from poking around various online reports, it seems Killington south is being affected by ice and freezing rain. This sucks. Good for Sugarbush northward it seems though!

yeah, i'm hoping k doesnt get damaged too bad by this, hoping to go there tomorrow. nice that sugarbush has $14 dollar lift tickets tomorrow (v-day) just in case I have to drive the extra hour.

deadheadskier

Staff member
yeah, i'm hoping k doesnt get damaged too bad by this, hoping to go there tomorrow. nice that sugarbush has $14 dollar lift tickets tomorrow (v-day) just in case I have to drive the extra hour.

In my and I'm guessing 95% of the people's opinion here, you'd be foolish not to drive the extra hour. Sugarbush is FAR AND AWAY a better mountain than Killington. It really isn't even close.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
About an hour ago it turned to sleet and freezing rain up here. Before that we accumulated seven inches in North Woodstck, NH.

That radar image is looking pretty fugly for most of New England! It will move out soon hopefully.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
pray

In my and I'm guessing 95% of the people's opinion here, you'd be foolish not to drive the extra hour. Sugarbush is FAR AND AWAY a better mountain than Killington. It really isn't even close.

pray the niar doesn't get that far.... I think I will wait for reports on Thursday for Friday visits. Have car, will travel....

Greg

Staff member
pray the niar doesn't get that far.... I think I will wait for reports on Thursday for Friday visits. Have car, will travel....

According to John Atkinson's post on SkiMRV, some sleet mixed in at Sugarbush, but it's back to all snow. The MRG cam shows dumpage. Maybe they can avoid any actual rain.

danny p

i'm not going to start a debate about this (or at least try not to). sugarbush is a better mountain than k. FAR AND AWAY, not too sure about that. If Sugarbush drive was the same as K, i would have a sugarbush season pass. But it's not. With today's weather, I'll probably be heading to sugarbush tomorrow. But honestly, while I like to listen to everyone's opinions, I've skied both mountains a bunch of times (more at K, but plenty at the bush) and I don't care what 95% of people say. This thread is not a flame and is not directed at deadhead. Just don't agree with the far and away. My $0.02. Everyone feel free to bash me, I love K.

hiroto

Looks like I should have booked for Jay Peak vacation rather than for souther NH vacation :sad: next week. They got 10 inches of snow but it will be all frozen pretty quickly.

wa-loaf

It sucks here right now, 15 minutes from Wachusett.

Yup, they're closed today. With a possible opening tonight.

I spent a little over an hour snow blowing (although it looked more like a water cannon at times) and shoveling 4 inches of slush and ice in the pouring rain. I was soaked completely through, even my goretex jacket was starting to leak.

SnowRider

If you have been in Southern NH and VT you would know that this storm will benefit more than hurt. The one thing sounthern NE needed was base. So if I lose good woods skiing for a week in order for them to soften up and then they are open for twice as long its ok with me.

In Allentown...3.41 inches of liquid equivelent according to Accuweather in the past 24 hours..33-34 degrees right now and raining..the ice isn't melting too fast and most of it remains and all the trees are still coated. The powers out at my parents house and there was even an NBC news crew in the neighborhood.

I got a great workout shoveling at work and both of my parents houses. I only ended up drinking 2 beers this morning. I just came back to my place and I saw a 5-dollar bill sitting on the sidewalk..steezy..I'm always finding money but it's usually one dollar bills and coins. In a few hours..whatever precip is left should change to snow and then the real mess will be tonight when everything freezes up with lows in the low to mid 20s..

Are you going skiing today? Is Blue even open in this crazyness?

-w

I don't know if Blue is open..I know Camelback is closed..I don't plan on skiing today...especially after spending 4 hours in the rain shoveling..

edit: I checked the webcam and Blue is open..I saw three people skiing in a 2 minute period..

Greg

Staff member
If you have been in Southern NH and VT you would know that this storm will benefit more than hurt. The one thing sounthern NE needed was base. So if I lose good woods skiing for a week in order for them to soften up and then they are open for twice as long its ok with me.

I know what you're saying and I knew the "this is good for the base" argument would come up, but it's the middle of effin February. Central NE needs some powder dumps, not more base building sleet and cold rain...

2knees

I know what you're saying and I knew the "this is good for the base" argument would come up, but it's the middle of effin February. Central NE needs some powder dumps, not more base building sleet and cold rain...

i feel like someone kicked me in the stomach.

hope this isnt some kind of repeat of the 98 ice storm.

SnowRider

I know what your talking about but 8 - 12 inches of powder wouldnt do anything for the woods. It would be scraped off and crap in a week. I agree they need some pow but im trying to say this storm isnt exactly a negative thing because when we get that snow the woods will be open twice as long.

Greg

Staff member
I know what your talking about but 8 - 12 inches of powder wouldnt do anything for the woods. It would be scraped off and crap in a week. I agree they need some pow but im trying to say this storm isnt exactly a negative thing because when we get that snow the woods will be open twice as long.

Gotta disagree. A foot of snow is always going to get skied off whether it falls now or in two weeks. But it's still way better to have a foot of snow than sleet/freezing rain. And this storm is a big time negative thing (south of the MRV, ADKs) for anyone looking to ski between now and the next snow storm which may or may not come. Unless we get a repeat of last April, we've only got 4-6 or so more weeks for potential big snows in SoVT and SNE. This storm is fine for mid-December, but it sucks for mid-Feb, bottom line.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
I'm feeling a lot better about our weather up here, reading this. We were just dry-slotted for awhile this morning and then we got a couple of hours of steady snow, and thankfully avoided the unfrozen, semi-frozen mess of parts south. Looks like we just missed it by about 20-30 miles or so.

Greg

Staff member
I'm feeling a lot better about our weather up here, reading this. We were just dry-slotted for awhile this morning and then we got a couple of hours of steady snow, and thankfully avoided the unfrozen, semi-frozen mess of parts south. Looks like we just missed it by about 20-30 miles or so.

Yup. MRV northward and the ADKs are sitting pretty with this one.