• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 2/12 - 2/13 Storm Discussion Thread

loafer89

Tons of freezing rain and icing here in Bloomfield. We lost power at home just a short while ago and I am in the office with Warren as school got cancelled for today.

2knees

Went to check local forecast for londonderry and found this beauty on the noaa page.

Hartness State Springfield Airport
Lat: 43.34 Lon: -72.52 Elev: 577
Last Update on Feb 13, 12:54 pm EST

Unknown Precip Fog/Mist

32°F
(0°C) Humidity: 96 %
Wind Speed: Calm
Barometer: 29.65" (1005.1 mb)
Dewpoint: 31°F (-1°C)
Visibility: 3.00 mi.
More Local Wx: 3 Day History:

wtf is unknown precip?

danny p

Gotta disagree. A foot of snow is always going to get skied off whether it falls now or in two weeks. But it's still way better to have a foot of snow than sleet/freezing rain. And this storm is a big time negative thing (south of the MRV, ADKs) for anyone looking to ski between now and the next snow storm which may or may not come. Unless we get a repeat of last April, we've only got 4-6 or so more weeks for potential big snows in SoVT and SNE. This storm is fine for mid-December, but it sucks for mid-Feb, bottom line.

totally agree w/ Greg. The trees already had an awesome base and in some instances still had fresh pow in them from a couple days ago. A foot of freshies on top of that would have been great. So it goes...

loafer89

Went to check local forecast for londonderry and found this beauty on the noaa page.

Hartness State Springfield Airport
Lat: 43.34 Lon: -72.52 Elev: 577
Last Update on Feb 13, 12:54 pm EST

Unknown Precip Fog/Mist

32°F
(0°C) Humidity: 96 %
Wind Speed: Calm
Barometer: 29.65" (1005.1 mb)
Dewpoint: 31°F (-1°C)
Visibility: 3.00 mi.
More Local Wx: 3 Day History:

wtf is unknown precip?

Sometimes this can mean that certain weather observation instuments are obscured by ice/freezing rain and giving the "unknown" reading.

Greg

Staff member
There's still a slim chance that Killington might salvage some snow out of this one. According to Intellicast the snow line is now south of them:

hfd.gif

Lots of moisture to work through still. The K-1 cam is showing snow at Killington. Any local reports?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Looks like the dacks is where its at. Wildcat looks to be in the mixed belt now, I can only hope the higher elevations are spared some.

BLESS

Looks like I'm getting screwed with the ole Attitash.......eh, the tix were free. I'm just kinda worried about heading up there tonight.....

Grassi21

No heavy icing yet. The water is flowing with great pace down my drive. In the backyard we have a river flowing down the back of my property line and a nice sized lake growing.

Greg

Staff member
No heavy icing yet. The water is flowing with great pace down my drive. In the backyard we have a river flowing down the back of my property line and a nice sized lake growing.

Uhg. I have a low spot in the back of the yard that tends to fill up too. It was pretty high with ice before today. I imagine it's a legit pond now...

2knees

There's still a slim chance that Killington might salvage some snow out of this one. According to Intellicast the snow line is now south of them:

Lots of moisture to work through still. The K-1 cam is showing snow at Killington. Any local reports?

someone on kzone said it started snowing at kbl around 2:00. I just called magic and the lady i spoke to said it was still raining there. needed to hear it from the horses mouth.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
can someone in stowe report their status?
thanks.

I'm sure it's all snow in Stowe, since that's more or less what we have in the MRV, 45 minutes south. Still coming down here at a pretty good clip. I just drove back from the grocery store and it was absolutely beautiful with heavy, fat flakes, but the roads were a bit treacherous. Drive safely if you're coming up for the $14 SB lift ticket tomorrow.

SnowRider

Hey, all I'm trying to say is this storm isnt all bad, i belive that it is helping southern NH resorts to some exstent. Im near worcester and despite the rain the snow has remained. This new wet heavy snow will create a base so within the next 4-6 weeks a 4 inch storm will open up the woods.

Greg

Staff member
Hey, all I'm trying to say is this storm isnt all bad, i belive that it is helping southern NH resorts to some exstent. Im near worcester and despite the rain the snow has remained. This new wet heavy snow will create a base so within the next 4-6 weeks a 4 inch storm will open up the woods.

Your optimism should be commended. All I know is I'm bagging a ski day tomorrow so IMO this storm sucks...

deadheadskier

Staff member
Total freakin' mess here in Portland. Ice float ponds everywhere, streets have turned into rivers....when this all freezes it's gonna be a nightmare.