• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Saddleback Thread

parahelia

As bad a road as it is, that view at height of land is pretty spectacular.

In regards to Casablanca 4, as cool as it is, I wonder what it looks like 10 or so years from now. I feel they cut too much for it to be sustainable as a glade and they'll have to rope large sections off to regenerate trees. Kinda like MRG does in some places. I feel the same about some areas of Burnt Mountain at Sugarloaf as well. They got a little too chainsaw happy.

Yeah, I kind of wonder if Casablanca 4 is going to ultimately end up like Lost Princess/Eureka in Oz. A couple of dead trees sticking up in an empty bowl. Fun for now, though.

ceo

Planning a trip to Saddleback next weekend, staying in Rangeley. We're not eating out indoors still and I'm guessing there won't be any outdoor dining yet, so wondering if anyone has recommendations for good takeout dinner.

Newpylong

I skied all 4 Casablanca chutes last spring and did not see anything that leads me to believe they will have large scale tree damage.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm more talking about sustainable regeneration. I'm no forester, but it seems to me you need to have a critical mass of enough trees to encourage regeneration. Pockets of thick tree cover that protect the underlayer of new growth from skiers skiing over it such that the new trees can reach maturity. I see something like Casa 4 picked so barren and I wonder if when those trees die off, you are left with nothing. That's what I'm referring to

Edd

Kennebago and South Branch (condo) lifts down yesterday and today again. Not a great start for my trip but at least Rangeley is running.

soposkier

Kennebago and South Branch (condo) lifts down yesterday and today again. Not a great start for my trip but at least Rangeley is running.
Was there saturday as Kennebago went down. Did a long Muleskinner run and came back to the lift line full and lift not running. Bailed down to the base and sure enough the lift was down for good. Lines did get long at the Rangeley chair (although still comparable to other mountains on a busy Saturday). Did a bunch of laps on the T-bar, that made a huge difference. Smoothest T-Bar I have ever ridden.

Edd

Edit: This should show a new snow gun purchase by Saddleback but rendering weird for me. Good to see some $ going to operations, as always.

Newpylong

The stick guns are for Lower Green Weaver btw, which also has new pipe. Upper GW got new pipe and guns prior to last year.

Their goal is also to hook up the snowmaking on Warden's for this year.

2planks2coasts

Nope. We all train as a crew and get SIC requirements on our types.
Nice. After years on cramped Lear 35's, I'm finally on an almost as old but much bigger and nicer 45 with a large, unpressurized cargo space ideal for throwing a boot bag and skis in.

Anyone been up Rt 17 lately to see if they've fixed it at all this summer? I like the long weekend combo of BMOM and Saddleback, but as others have pointed out, that road is just unacceptable. I wonder how many cars that has damaged.

Zand

Anyone been up Rt 17 lately to see if they've fixed it at all this summer? I like the long weekend combo of BMOM and Saddleback, but as others have pointed out, that road is just unacceptable. I wonder how many cars that has damaged.
Agreed...I want to make an annual trip out of Saddleback but that ride up is absolutely awful. Funny thing is Saddleback and Sugarloaf have almost identical drive times for me but Saddleback feels like it takes many hours longer and I feel like the roads are the reason.

I feel like they worked on the Rumford end of the road last year but once you got north of Height of Land, forget it. Felt like I was driving a basketball down the hill.

Smellytele

Nice. After years on cramped Lear 35's, I'm finally on an almost as old but much bigger and nicer 45 with a large, unpressurized cargo space ideal for throwing a boot bag and skis in.

I did the bmom/saddleback weekend last year. Great trip.

bigbob

Agreed...I want to make an annual trip out of Saddleback but that ride up is absolutely awful. Funny thing is Saddleback and Sugarloaf have almost identical drive times for me but Saddleback feels like it takes many hours longer and I feel like the roads are the reason.

I feel like they worked on the Rumford end of the road last year but once you got north of Height of Land, forget it. Felt like I was driving a basketball down the hill.

Is the the section of road you are referring to?

Zand

Only 2.76 miles though? Needs a lot more than that repaved. At least it's a start.