• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Saddleback Thread

kbroderick

The section that was horrible last year is being worked on now, and given that it's torn up and gravel, it's already driving much better than before (well, unless you get stuck behind a couple of Harley riders who are afraid of unpaved surfaces).

I'm assuming it will be tarmac again by winter.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Been up here in Rangeley since Friday and depart tomorrow. We skied

Saturday: Black
Sunday: Saddleback
Monday: Sugarloaf
Tuesday: Saddleback

Route 17 is pretty great between Rangeley and Rumford. Totally smooth over Height of Land. Only somewhat bad spots were south and low closer to Rumford where there are some gravel remnants of what I assume flood damage this fall / winter.

We didn't make it to Saddleback last year unfortunately, so it was nice to get back there again and see the changes. I like the new Sandy Quad for accessing the T Bar and for kids to lap the park.

I'll be interested to see what the owners do next in terms of ski area improvements and any expansion. The place is already my favorite New England skiing experience between the terrain, setting and vibe. I don't think I went in the lodge once today without Live Grateful Dead playing, haha.

However, having also skied Sunday River and Sugarloaf in the past week, the one observation I have should they really want to take market share from Boyne is they probably need to add a few more groomed, cruiser type trails. What they have is great, but quite limited in comparison to SR or SL. Not sure if the way there is to neuter a few bump trails off Kennabago and Rangeley chairs or add a new pod somewhere. I'd not like losing existing terrain to groomers as someone who prefers bumps and natural terrain, but it's what the masses seem to want.

Any regulars hearing any rumors of future terrain development?

Edd

Hmm, not sure what I’d sacrifice to increase groomers there. I’m of the opinion that they really do have enough to satisfy that crowd, even a couple of steep groomers off the Kennebago usually. I’ll be there in a few weeks to evaluate.

deadheadskier

Staff member
To your point, I comment on the market demand for groomers, but I'd hate to be the ahole responsible for castrating someone's favorite, classic, natural New England bump run. They have IMO the best collection of them in the East.

Smellytele

To your point, I comment on the market demand for groomers, but I'd hate to be the ahole responsible for castrating someone's favorite, classic, natural New England bump run. They have IMO the best collection of them in the East.
Were the bumps in play because they were a frozen scary mess on Sunday?

deadheadskier

Staff member

Not great this visit. Mainly talking from prior experience. I skied a few mini ones with my kids lower down today that you could get edges in well enough. Don't think the top softened, but we stayed on groomers up high

chuckstah

I was at Saddleback yesterday(Monday). There was an inch or two of snow overnight that made some bumps somewhat skiable, but still really firm on the backsides. Definitely too firm for my liking, but better skiers than myself were in most of them. Bumped glades were a bit better but not great. It was mostly a groomer day, and they were great all day.

Smellytele

I was at Saddleback yesterday(Monday). There was an inch or two of snow overnight that made some bumps somewhat skiable, but still really firm on the backsides. Definitely too firm for my liking, but better skiers than myself were in most of them. Bumped glades were a bit better but not great. It was mostly a groomer day, and they were great all day.
Agree the groomer were very ripable on Sunday as well.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Packing up to leave this morning I thought about their terrain mix more. Save for MRG and Magic, I'll say Saddleback has the highest percentage of classic New England natural bump runs of any major Eastern Destination. They have more of these trails than classic cruisers by a good margin.

Classic Bump runs:

Muleskinner
Black Beauty
Frostbite
Wardens Worry
Supervisor
Family Secret
Governor
Peachys
Jane Craig
Professor
Golden Smelt
Parmachee Belle

Cruisers:

Tight Line
Tri Color
America
Green Weaver
Royal Coachman
Gray Ghost
Silver Doctor
Blue Devil
Red Devil

Thoughts on areas to increase the amount of groomed acreage without touching the classic Bump runs:

Widen Royal Coachman
New trail between America and Tri Color
New Trail skiers left of Red Devil

Time will tell. Can't wait for our vacation here again next season

Newpylong

I think your listed 3 options are really the only feasible ones without greatly expanding the boundaries and/or footprint unnecessarily. They will have double the water next year (roughly) as they replace their boosters. Peachy's and Wardens are already piped, just not valved. They were supposed to do Wardens this year but got pushed.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think your listed 3 options are really the only feasible ones without greatly expanding the boundaries and/or footprint unnecessarily. They will have double the water next year (roughly) as they replace their boosters. Peachy's and Wardens are already piped, just not valved. They were supposed to do Wardens this year but got pushed.

Did your sources say whether the intention is to keep these as bump runs on a man made base? Or keep them groomed? Those would probably be the two options of existing terrain I'd think people would be least upset about getting neutered.

Newpylong

I don't think they've thought that far ahead. I know there is considerable pushback about connecting Peachys even though many in operations feel that should be a priority over Wardens due to more skill levels being able to use it and the fact that Green Weaver gets so much traffic on that side of Rangeley. I think it probably is a blue if groomed flat and manmade. We'll have to see if either get done this year.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't think they've thought that far ahead. I know there is considerable pushback about connecting Peachys even though many in operations feel that should be a priority over Wardens due to more skill levels being able to use it and the fact that Green Weaver gets so much traffic on that side of Rangeley. I think it probably is a blue if groomed flat and manmade. We'll have to see if either get done this year.

They definitely could use more groomed acreage to suck up traffic off the Rangeley. Peachys would help that. It wasn't busy this weekend, but I imagine when it is, Green Weaver becomes a luge track early in the day. That's part of the reason I suggested widening Royal Coachman a bit and on the skiers right side. Keep left as is for wind protection for the chair. The groomed portion of Royal is barely wide enough for proper GS turns, so it's not that great of a groomed run as is. I don't think regulars would be too upset if it got widened.

The other operational change I would make is have Silver Doctor become the race training trail instead of Gray Ghost. Gray Ghost is their largest acreage trail off their highest capacity lift. I think that should be available to the masses to suck up traffic.

Smellytele

On another note the lodge at the top of Rangeley was pretty cool. Just had a beer but the tapas looked good. Cool how the whole lake facing side were sliding doors that could be opened. Not sure when it would ever be warm enough to do so. Also the roof was all planted with local flora in case the Russians decide to bomb Maine it would be camouflaged.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yes, we took a peak inside. Really cool space and well hidden in the trees. Didn't eat there because we weren't looking for a sit down meal. Only real complaint I'd have is the sign said restrooms for patrons only? I thought that was a little weird.

Smellytele

Yes, we took a peak inside. Really cool space and well hidden in the trees. Didn't eat there because we weren't looking for a sit down meal. Only real complaint I'd have is the sign said restrooms for patrons only? I thought that was a little weird.
It is a unisex bathroom with 3 stalls. I walked into it and I thought I was in the wrong one because it was all pink. But it is the only one.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It is a unisex bathroom with 3 stalls. I walked into it and I thought I was in the wrong one because it was all pink. But it is the only one.

Same thing for the Pub in the main lodge. Unisex stalls with a shared hand washing area.

I wonder how much they enforce the patrons only thing at The Nest. I was glad my 8 and 5 year old didn't have to go.

Edd

My understanding is that restaurant up top isn’t open during the week, correct? Will be skiing there Monday through Wednesday late March, and assuming I won’t get a chance to try it.

Newpylong

They definitely could use more groomed acreage to suck up traffic off the Rangeley. Peachys would help that. It wasn't busy this weekend, but I imagine when it is, Green Weaver becomes a luge track early in the day. That's part of the reason I suggested widening Royal Coachman a bit and on the skiers right side. Keep left as is for wind protection for the chair. The groomed portion of Royal is barely wide enough for proper GS turns, so it's not that great of a groomed run as is. I don't think regulars would be too upset if it got widened.

The other operational change I would make is have Silver Doctor become the race training trail instead of Gray Ghost. Gray Ghost is their largest acreage trail off their highest capacity lift. I think that should be available to the masses to suck up traffic.

Yeah I think unless there is a race that warrant the entire length of Ghost I don't get why SD wouldn't be a better choice for just training. They also can get quick laps on the T-Bar. But we all know how much sway the racing community has so...

deadheadskier

Staff member
My understanding is that restaurant up top isn’t open during the week, correct? Will be skiing there Monday through Wednesday late March, and assuming I won’t get a chance to try it.

Correct. Sign said Friday to Sunday