• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"The Stash" at Killington

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sounds interesting in theory...I've seen pics online and thought it was a glade run...guess it is more.

2knees

POWDR SUCKS MY LEFT NUT!

sorry i just wanted to be the first to start the flaming!. :dunce:

to be more constructive, i'm pretty excited to see what thats all about as well as the new tree run off of vertigo. New to the map anyway. I've seen people duck off into those woods so many times but i've never tried it myself.

2knees

btw, isnt powdr responsible for the current banking crisis? thats what i heard anyway.

danny p

i think its gonna be awesome once the conditions are good in there. There are some cool pics of the making of the stash on the killingtoninsider page and some kzone threads.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
hmmm lets see jake lives in stowe and didn't have one put there. stowe is a burton mountain. the reason is: it brings in gaper from far and wide. it great concept but it is man made not natural so it take a lot of the fun out of it for me. we used to set stuff up in the woods durring the summer at stowe. logs extending off of drops, trees bent to make rainbows, and log slides. not a new concept but now its commercialized.

cbcbd

Sounds cool and only good for Killington.

...it actually sounds like something many mtbers take part in at the local level - ie. enhancing the trails with natural features or with features made with natural materials.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I wonder how it will hold snow considering that much of Bear Mountain has a SE exposure...

smootharc

It isn't being built at Killington....

....it's being built at Mad River Glen. Typos....sheesh !

ski220

Sounds like a lot of fun. Tree glades , banked turns, pillow line, "natural" terrrian features, sugar shack. All sounds pretty good to me.

Highway Star

It sounds really cool, and is similiar to something that I was hoping they would do.....but....I get the distinct impression it is going to be a massive fiasco.

There are 3 high speed lifts serving Skye Peak, and hence the Stash. Plus the K-1, more or less. It's on one of the highest traffic spots on the mountain. Considering the amount of press it's gotten so far, it's going to be mobbed by every joey on vacation.

It's tough enough to navigate the gaper traffic on their fairly open (but FLAT) dreammaker park....or any park for that matter, with a wide, open trail. But start putting stuff in the woods? With blind turns and mixed abilty levels? Sound like a dangerous combination.

As far as snow conditions go, that section of the mountain gets good natual snow. The bigger concern is icing or freeze/thaw, or even just the impact of a little traffic and sun. I'm guessing there will be ice all over the place in short order.

Terrain wise, I believe the upper part in the woods is relatively flat, low intermediate pitch. The lower part is a bit steeper, where it opens up into a trail.

IMHO, there are two spots where we can almost expect to see a fatality at Killington this year. The newly high-traffic, marked as a blue run Launch Pad crossover....and also the Stash park. At the very least, we'll have gapers slipping out on ice and running into trees or some pretty major collisions. Their head of ski patrol must be quite afraid for his job if he didn't oppose this....lol.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
It sounds really cool, and is similiar to something that I was hoping they would do.....but....I get the distinct impression it is going to be a massive fiasco.

There are 3 high speed lifts serving Skye Peak, and hence the Stash. Plus the K-1, more or less. It's on one of the highest traffic spots on the mountain. Considering the amount of press it's gotten so far, it's going to be mobbed by every joey on vacation.

It's tough enough to navigate the gaper traffic on their fairly open (but FLAT) dreammaker park....or any park for that matter, with a wide, open trail. But start putting stuff in the woods? With blind turns and mixed abilty levels? Sound like a dangerous combination.

As far as snow conditions go, that section of the mountain gets good natual snow. The bigger concern is icing or freeze/thaw, or even just the impact of a little traffic and sun. I'm guessing there will be ice all over the place in short order.

Terrain wise, I believe the upper part in the woods is relatively flat, low intermediate pitch. The lower part is a bit steeper, where it opens up into a trail.

IMHO, there are two spots where we can almost expect to see a fatality at Killington this year. The newly high-traffic, marked as a blue run Launch Pad crossover....and also the Stash park. At the very least, we'll have gapers slipping out on ice and running into trees or some pretty major collisions. Their head of ski patrol must be quite afraid for his job if he didn't oppose this....lol.

i agree the landings are going to get packed with the quickness and one freeze/thaw. its going to the danger zone.

Vince

Glad to see someone try something new. If it works these areas will be cut at all the major mountains. If it doesn't you can keep calling Powdr idiots.

Highway Star

Oh...and I've got to add that this is obviously a move by POWDR to bring in more vacation visits by families with teens and recreational 18-35 year old skier/snowboarder age groups.

"Ooo...Killingon's got a sweet new park, first of it's kind in the east. We should take a trip there to check it out...." Cue..........$$$$$$$$$

I doubt many serious park riders are impressed. All the serious park rats go to Mt. Snow or Sunday River, and still will....