• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Whale is Back!!

VB

Website
www.thetechcentrics.com
Hey guys, just came home after skiing at whaleback for about 4 hours. The place isn't open yet though, it was only training for Mountaim school. Got to ski on the bottom of one of the trails, the farthest one to the right, right before the tow rope lift.

Had alot of fun, couple of us made somme jumps, a Cheese kump, and a rail jump. We had to hike up the mountain every time because the lift and the tow were both not running or not safe yet to use.

Cant wait for the place to open though, they were talking by the end of next week they will definatly be open, so get ready!:D

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
considering they have been lost for so long and had a short window to prep the mountain, i can understand the whale not being open not for any lack of snow.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I thought I had heard this was the weekend they were opening? It was kinda pathetic to drive by it the other day and have the Lebanon Outing Club, a volunteer place, blowing snow and the Whale doing nothing. Nadda.

I understand that things are tough to get going, but so far I will say that their communications have been attrocious. I'm ten minutes away and engaged in the industry and I have no idea what is going there. Kind of same thing with Ascutney--closest major resort and no word from them at all.

Tin Woodsman

And here I was thinking that the Whalers were coming back to Hartford. :cry: 8)

Treeskier

Light where on Sunday night

Light where on Sunday night as I drove home/by.

VB

Website
www.thetechcentrics.com
They're stil working on the lodge like crazy, getting it ready, Im suposed to get a call when my supervisor finds out when they are opening. So ill let you guys know as soon as i can. I was just there yesterday, and they are fixing the floor up in the lodge, and they are starting to move the snow around. Should be opening in a couple of days. :)

HDHaller

Website
www.skiclinics.com
VB said:
Hey guys, just came home after skiing at whaleback for about 4 hours. The place isn't open yet though, it was only training for Mountaim school. Got to ski on the bottom of one of the trails, the farthest one to the right, right before the tow rope lift.

Had alot of fun, couple of us made somme jumps, a Cheese kump, and a rail jump. :D

Okay, I'm pretty on top of new school lingo, but what in the wide world of sports is a "cheese kump?" ... or is that "cheese jump?" Why jump cheese?

-HDH

HDHaller

Website
www.skiclinics.com
HDHaller said:
VB said:

Had alot of fun, couple of us made somme jumps, a Cheese kump, and a rail jump. :D

Okay, I'm pretty on top of new school lingo, but what in the wide world of sports is a "cheese kump?" ... or is that "cheese jump?" Why jump cheese?

-HDH

Still wondering what a "cheese kump" is, VB.
How's Whaleback?
-HDH

HDHaller

Website
www.skiclinics.com
snowmaker4191 said:
just got back from my stay up in NH whale back seemed to be very unorganized.....hope things go alright this season.

Dybvig must have his hands full. It's got to be a huge logistical challenge... reopening a defunct ski area. And I imagine he's sort of a managerial novice. Does anyone know otherwise?
-HDH

awf170

snowmaker4191 said:
I think i saw him? HE was talking to someone when i was there. He looked stressed out,it's just weird he has kids my age working the front desk. :blink: :eek:

Dont you think it is even wierder to have kids our age teaching lessons :eek:
VB just curious because you said you were teaching lessons, what kind of training do you have for teaching? I never knew you could be 17 and an instructor.

Phildozer

Clearly they're not spending their money on the website because there's not a single mention of what's open, what's not, etc.

Lots of pictures of skateboarding, which is good when you're trying to run a Winter Sports venue.

:roll:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yeah I'm concerned. Drove by today and the runs were not covered at all :eek: No snowmaking going on. Looks like two runs coming down from the top. I'm ten minutes away and I don't hear a thing from them. No snowreport online or anything.

Joshua B

thetrailboss said:
Yeah I'm concerned. Drove by today and the runs were not covered at all :eek: No snowmaking going on. Looks like two runs coming down from the top. I'm ten minutes away and I don't hear a thing from them. No snowreport online or anything.

I was concerned when I read that you wrote "the runs were not covered at all" but I'm relieved that you also mentioned seeing two runs coming down from the top. They're reporting 3 open trails so that sounds about right.

But like all the Whaleback fans here, I'm hoping mother nature helps them out soon...maybe gives them a head start on the long road ahead.