• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thoughts on Skiing in PA for the rest of the season

vinnyv11

Just wanted to get everyone’s impressions out there on what the rest of the ski season looks like in PA given the recent and pending weather versus years past. I am new to skiing this year and was hoping to be able to go through some of March but looking at the weather and the conditions I had at Camelback yesterday I’m questioning whether I will be able to. Can somebody give me some insight here? Are the local mountains capable of keeping skiable snow up there given the current weather outlook? Any mountains better than others in this regard?

Thanks for any input from the season PA skiers.

legalskier

Sounds like you're in eastern Pa? If so, Blue always blows a base deep enough to take them into mid April easily, if they wished. The problem is, when the temps warm up by late March the lack of clientele doesn't justify the cost of further operations. I skied the last day of the season there a couple of years ago and couldn't believe they were closing, the base was that good. Usually they close on the last weekend of March. I believe Elk shoots for the same date too.

4aprice

Just wanted to get everyone’s impressions out there on what the rest of the ski season looks like in PA given the recent and pending weather versus years past. I am new to skiing this year and was hoping to be able to go through some of March but looking at the weather and the conditions I had at Camelback yesterday I’m questioning whether I will be able to. Can somebody give me some insight here? Are the local mountains capable of keeping skiable snow up there given the current weather outlook? Any mountains better than others in this regard?

Thanks for any input from the season PA skiers.

As always it depends upon the weather. I assume that yesterday you found the snow to be quite heavy and sugary. That could turn to solid pavement very quickly with a freeze. I know for a fact that Camelback is not done blowing snow for the season so if and when it gets cold they will do some conditioning. Natural snow could fall anytime up till about the 1st week in April in the Pocono's. The base withstood Friday's washout fairly well so hopefully it took today's pounding just as well and they can make it till the end of March. Spring snow is spring snow so if your looking for mid winter PP your gonna have to wait until next season in PA.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jimmywilson69

The central PA hills (Liberty, Roundtop & Whitetail) will be closed by the 3rd weekend of the month. Liberty and Whitetail will likely be closed before that because they face the wrong way. All 3 will be a ghost town starting today as the crowds disappear in March.

jlboyell

i was at elk sunday. rain friday made for sticky snow. there is plenty of snow on the ground, just needs a couple cold days to tighten up, it wouldnt make for best conditions, but would make to end of march. elk has a spring carnival at the end of march, they try to make it just past that

〽❄❅

I'm considering ELK on Thurs or Friday. Playing a guessing game wrt conditions between Weds high of 36º vs another day for snow making thru Friday's predicted 35º high coming off of Thursdays 26º high. I don't know??

vinnyv11

Running into similar problems for me. I want to hit Jack Frost and Blue or Bear Saturday and Sunday but the weather doesn't look like its going to cooperate.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Running into similar problems for me. I want to hit Jack Frost and Blue or Bear Saturday and Sunday but the weather doesn't look like its going to cooperate.

Saturday at Blue is calling for 40% chance of showers.

So there's a 60% chance you'll have a great time. I'll be at Blue on Saturday.