• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

To ski or not to ski

Skier75

Okay, here's my delima: I wrenched my shoulder pretty good(or bad, whichever way you want to look at it) on New Years Day. Haven't skied since. Been to PT 2X, more to come. The PT said she "didn't think" it was the rotator cuff, but I have bruised the socket that the shoulder sets in pretty bad(I forget what she actually called it). She didn't say I could or couldn't go skiing, but whatever I do be very careful not to re-injure the area..... She's not real keen on the fact that I've lost full range of my arm and has given my only range streches to do(2) and (4) strengthening ones, which isn't much of anything.

Now here it is the weekend and am dying to go skiing....should I or shouldn't I. My hubby doesn't have anyone to go with now that my daugter decided not to drive over from VT. to use a free pass, that's another story....anyways, what would you do???

Hawkshot99

Okay, here's my delima: I wrenched my shoulder pretty good(or bad, whichever way you want to look at it) on New Years Day. Haven't skied since. Been to PT 2X, more to come. The PT said she "didn't think" it was the rotator cuff, but I have bruised the socket that the shoulder sets in pretty bad(I forget what she actually called it). She didn't say I could or couldn't go skiing, but whatever I do be very careful not to re-injure the area..... She's not real keen on the fact that I've lost full range of my arm and has given my only range streches to do(2) and (4) strengthening ones, which isn't much of anything.

Now here it is the weekend and am dying to go skiing....should I or shouldn't I. My hubby doesn't have anyone to go with now that my daugter decided not to drive over from VT. to use a free pass, that's another story....anyways, what would you do???

Is 1 day of not the greatest skiing(because you will be worried about falling on it) worth possibly falling on it and screwing it up for a long time?

skidbump

First of a PT can not diagnose a torn rotator cuff ,that can only be seen on a MRI and read by a radiologist. 2nd..If you hurt 3 weeeks ago and its still about the same should get mri and talk to a orthopediac just to be sure.I had a torn rotator cuff and a bicep injury and i functioned for years before i got it cut and repaired.3rd...ski below your normal comfort level and you should be fine

Paul

Is 1 day of not the greatest skiing(because you will be worried about falling on it) worth possibly falling on it and screwing it up for a long time?

First of a PT can not diagnose a torn rotator cuff ,that can only be seen on a MRI and read by a radiologist. 2nd..If you hurt 3 weeeks ago and its still about the same should get mri and talk to a orthopediac just to be sure.

Not worth screwing something up more just for a day or two of skiing.

This, this and this. Good advice, all.

Skier75

Thanks for all the good advice. I really knew what the answer is, I just want comfort in knowing that I'm doing the right thing, but still bumming about sending hubby off on his own..... :( Guess I'll get over it.

After next week I'll probably be going to get an MRI, just to be sure....

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
First of a PT can not diagnose a torn rotator cuff ,that can only be seen on a MRI and read by a radiologist. 2nd..If you hurt 3 weeeks ago and its still about the same should get mri and talk to a orthopediac just to be sure.I had a torn rotator cuff and a bicep injury and i functioned for years before i got it cut and repaired.3rd...ski below your normal comfort level and you should be fine

I second that. The orthopedic folks in Somersworth seem competent. PT is useful like medicine, but not primary care.

As far as skiing goes, I was at Gunstock last night and conditions were fast. I would find a place to go where I can get on fresh corduroy if I feared falling over. That would mean getting up early for the first runs somewhere.

Skier75

I already went to my regular doc, she sent me to the PT, but I may have to see an ortho soon..... :( My shoulder seems to be getting somewhat better, but still don't have the range of motion I should have, it still hurts. I'm determined to work on it.....

bigbog

IMO...it takes time Skier75,
...As far as ligaments/muscles...after you find out what the bone/cartilage issue is, your PT will have you do some little daily rotary & other exercises/movements to keep the muscles from going stiff on you....it does take time and does hurt some until it does heal...BUT as said...go see the ortho asap...

$.01

SIKSKIER

Ski period.My buddy is out skiing without legs.He would love to have a sore shoulder.Stay on groomers and away from bozos.For me,just being at the Mt and not skiing is way better than staying home.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
How soon can you get into an Orthopedist? Probably not that fast, eh? I'm with the pro-ski movement, but would err on the side of extreme caution. Spend the day on some greens, get out, enjoy the fresh air. Don't do anything or be anywhere that would risk a hard fall. I've seen people get more hurt walking across an icy parking lot, and nobody told you not to go outside in the winter did they?

It's all about managing risks. I didn't hear you say that bucking or booting up was painful, did I? Have hubby do that! Both go, but go your separate ways for a few runs. Stay away from crowded slopes. If y ou were a rank beginner, my advice would be very different.

For me skiing isn't just about going fast. It's about being outside, escaping the rats in the rat race, having a little quiet time, good company, getting back in touch with nature, eating very expensive cheeseburgers.

Skier75

Thanks for all of the advice, guys. Been pretty adament about doing my routine given by the PT, seems to be getting somewhat better, but still not full range yet. PT said I could go skiing if it doesn't hurt, but if it does, don't do it. I'm gonna try to go skiing next weekend, but try, try to take it easy. No really I don't want to re-injure myself but it's killing me not going. PT says she's gonna give me about another week, but I may give my regular doc a call to see if she can do a refurral to an Ortho just to check it out. PT seems to be holding off.....