• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Today I plan to put on all the apparel I bought during the summer, estimate how much weight I need to lose, and start conditioning

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well sure, prohibition didn't work either, so I'm really not expecting much of a real change with a guidance change. Hell, many people in Canada are probably completely unaware of their change.

But I think a recommendation that 2 drinks per day is somehow okay for you is pretty irresponsible.

Here's a pretty good article on Canada's change. It's hard to argue against

mister moose

While some generalizations can be made, I think it also needs to be said that we are all different. What diet might kill you might flow right through me, and vice versa. So far I'm salt impervious. Not everyone can say that.

I found it easy to give up soda. I can decide to give up alcohol for a while if need be, but I don't need to. I go a week without a drink easily, mostly to reduce caloric uptake. What's interesting is DHS's thesis on how that affects the rest of your diet. Although I'll point out 'drunk food' is different than 1 or 2 beers food.

I'm like Kusty, sugar is my drug of choice, whether it's ice cream, chocolate, or pastry. That's the monkey on my back when the freezer door opens.

Sugar sluts, be advised there is a whoopie pie festival in Rutland this Saturday. Dream Maker Bakers is going for a record on largest whoopie pie. See you there.

cdskier

I found it easy to give up soda as well. At this point the only time I have it is in a mixed drink (I think I had a rum and coke at my grandmother's wake back in February for example). My #1 drink is iced-tea. I can drink that like water. But I make my own iced-tea mostly with just water, tea bags, and lemon juice. No sugar. And if I get bottled iced tea, my preference is the Lipton Pure Leaf Unsweetened with Lemon.

I do enjoy chocolate, ice cream, pastries, etc when I have them, but for some reason I don't find it hard to limit myself. If I buy a pint of ice cream, it can easily last for weeks in my freezer before I finish it. But I'm also very picky about things like ice cream. I splurge on "local" or "premium" brands that have only real/simple ingredients in them. I can't stand ice cream that has 100 different ingredients on the label. Maybe sub-consciously I eat those in moderation just because of the price difference...

My issue isn't my eating or drinking habits, it is 100% my lack of exercising outside of ski season. I've never enjoyed working out or exercising indoors. If I could, I'd be out hiking every weekend as I love that. But between seemingly non-stop family stuff I'm invited to on weekends and it being too hot/humid in the summer, I don't do that nearly as much as I'd like to.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I guess if you want to call scientific studies my "thesis" you can Moose. Haha

Here's some information on alcohol and cortisol levels and the adverse health effects

And there's plenty of research out there on how cortisol impacts dietary cravings

But as you have said , we all have variations in our responses to chemicals. And we all have our own views on cost / benefit & risk / reward for our behavioral choices.

ThatGuy

I workout 6-7 days a week and only drink 1-2 times a month. My biggest vice was cookies (oreos and chips ahoy) but I quit smoking weed and haven’t had a craving for sweets ever since. 6’ 190lbs at the moment and ready for ski season. I’m also only 27 so that probably factors alot into my fitness level and ability to jump right into full days on the slopes.

zyk

So I switched to light beer and a mostly garden diet. Dropped 40 pounds... Should exercise more however feeling good for the season. Sugar is not my drug of choice. Everybody is different.

skiur

So I switched to light beer and a mostly garden diet. Dropped 40 pounds... Should exercise more however feeling good for the season. Sugar is not my drug of choice. Everybody is different.

I love it how people that drink say sugar is not their drug. What do you think alcohol is???? Not knocking drinking, I do plenty of it, but let's call a spade a spade. The more you drink, the more sugar you drink.

cdskier

I love it how people that drink say sugar is not their drug. What do you think alcohol is???? Not knocking drinking, I do plenty of it, but let's call a spade a spade. The more you drink, the more sugar you drink.

Alcohol is calories...but it isn't sugar. They are entirely different from a scientific/chemical perspective. Alcohol is one of the byproducts of the fermentation chemical reaction.

skiur

Alcohol is calories...but it isn't sugar. They are entirely different from a scientific/chemical perspective. Alcohol is one of the byproducts of the fermentation chemical reaction.

Depends on the type of alcohol being consumed, wine and rum have sugar in them, as does some types of beer, but all alcohol spikes your blood sugar when you drink it.

cdskier

Depends on the type of alcohol being consumed, wine and rum have sugar in them, as does some types of beer, but all alcohol spikes your blood sugar when you drink it.

Depends on the wine you're drinking and that still has nothing to do with the alcohol itself. The alcohol and any sugar in the drink are two different things. The vast majority of wines I drink are 0% RS (with the exception of some off-dry Rieslings which intentionally have some RS left in them). The majority of both red and white wines produced that you'll find sold in stores (with the exception of cheap stuff like Apothic Red or something along those lines) are "Dry" wines with no RS.

Spiking your blood sugar is an entirely different topic. Caffeine can spike your blood sugar. Eating food spikes your blood sugar. Stress can spike your blood sugar.

drjeff

i try to limit myself to one 12 oz coke at dinner. im very well behaved all day at work. black coffee, seltzer, lunch from cava or sweetgreen. but when i get home all bets are off. dinner isnt always bad, i'm prob more likely to have a steak and grilled vegetables than pizza for dinner. but theres always a coke, and its chased with ice cream or cookies/milk or fuckin cake. i'm a slut.
Ok, if you want the coke/sugar perspective, that I give in my office most every day I am working.... Here it is... 1 20oz non diet soda of whatever brand of choice, is roughly 250 calories. Having 1 a day, over a year, is roughly 90k calories, which is about 30lbs of potential body weight. That's just 1 a day...

And the actual sugar content in 1 20oz botlle of non diet soda is roughly equivalent to 14 packets of sugar o_O If you put a bowl with 14 packets of sugar infront of you and someone told you to eat it, you'd think they're crazy. But mix that amount of sugar up in some carbonated water with some flavoring and possibly color dyes, and you think nothing about drinking that bottle of it. I have changed how I talk about soda consumption with my patients to where I really don't call it soda, but "liquid candy" instead

KustyTheKlown

i limit myself to a can, so its 12 oz, but heard, and nothing i dont already know. i'm lucky i wasn't super fat before i started exercising. still managed to lose 25 lbs since starting. most of that was covid era gain. i'm 190, 5'11. BMI says i'm slightly overweight but its a lot of muscle and only a stubborn bit of fat around the midriff. i've read that waist to height ratio is a better indicator (waist should be less than half height, in inches), and i'm all good on that front (33/71).

what's wild to me is with all the sugar, i've managed to live 38 years without ever having a cavity. my folks were dentists (recently retired) but i wasn't particularly great about going for cleanings, and i def pass out asleep without brushing sometimes.

snoseek

diet ginger ale is my vice. I tank it down like crazy. Sure no sugar but this stuff can't be good. I really need to switch to something better or just water but its sooo good

deadheadskier

Staff member
Until about ten years ago, I used to drink coffee with cream and sugar. I did a whole 30 diet, which means neither can be consumed. Tried to go without coffee and lasted about a week. I switched to black coffee. It was terrible at first, but after about ten days I adjusted and now anything but black coffee makes me wretch.

Similar story with soda. When I worked in restaurants I used to drink a ton of it. Many restaurant workers do as it's free and easy to grab a glass off the gun at the bar. After I left that industry, I still would have a handful of cans a week of Sprite or Ginger ale. Gave it up about a year ago. Now soda tastes disgusting to me.

I basically only consume black coffee, water or soda water with lime. Essentially near zero calories from beverages. Good for the health and the wallet. I bought a Soda water maker for home from Soda Stream. Great product . Works out to about 50 cents a day between my coffee and soda consumption at home.

teleo

Stopped drinking soda in my 30s. Polar seltzer was the key for me. Still get the bubbles and a bit of flavor without any of the nasty stuff. Now I'm old and the bubbles cause other issues so water for me. Except the beer and wine, but you gotta enjoy something🍻🥂

crank

I used to love Coke. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2015. Haven't had a Coke since.

Still drink the occasional Diet Coke or diet ginger ale. Mostly seltzer, water and coffee for which I still use a bit of half and half. I still drink beer but not so much. I still drink wine - too much. But I eat well. Lots of veggies, fibre, fish, chicken... not a lot of red meat and almost no carbs. I drink gin and tonics with diet tonic water.

Granite1

If you have an issue with sugar addiction, quit drinking or at least cut out regular consumption of alcohol. It boosts cortisol levels, which drives cravings for both sweet and salty foods.

After three years of doing twice a year dry months because many friends were doing it, it became quite obvious that alcohol was FAR worse for my health than I either realized or cared to admit. And I had already dropped down to only drinking 2-3 days a week and somewhere in the 6-14 drink a week range.

I quit for good this February and have dropped 25# and continue to lose weight slowly with absolutely zero changes to my exercise routine. It's because of less calories from the booze and better eating choices due to absence of excess cortisol.

Canada recently changed their recommendations on maximum number of drinks per week to 2 for men and 1 for women. That's the daily recommendation in the US, which used to be what Canada also recommended. I think the US should follow Canada. We vastly underestimate just how bad alcohol is for our health.

Everyone talks about the opioid problem in this country, but our problem with booze is even worse.

If you have an issue with sugar addiction, quit drinking or at least cut out regular consumption of alcohol. It boosts cortisol levels, which drives cravings for both sweet and salty foods.

After three years of doing twice a year dry months because many friends were doing it, it became quite obvious that alcohol was FAR worse for my health than I either realized or cared to admit. And I had already dropped down to only drinking 2-3 days a week and somewhere in the 6-14 drink a week range.

I quit for good this February and have dropped 25# and continue to lose weight slowly with absolutely zero changes to my exercise routine. It's because of less calories from the booze and better eating choices due to absence of excess cortisol.

Canada recently changed their recommendations on maximum number of drinks per week to 2 for men and 1 for women. That's the daily recommendation in the US, which used to be what Canada also recommended. I think the US should follow Canada. We vastly underestimate just how bad alcohol is for our health.

Everyone talks about the opioid problem in this country, but our problem with booze is even worse.
You're going to piss off a lot people here that you don't ski stoned and drunk. Opioids are a bigger problem in the US than alcohol because they are being used as a weapon of mass destruction by China and Mexico, over 100,000 dead every year.

ColdRain&Snow

You're going to piss off a lot people here that you don't ski stoned and drunk. Opioids are a bigger problem in the US than alcohol because they are being used as a weapon of mass destruction by China and Mexico, over 100,000 dead every year.

I also bought a new aaron rogers ny jets jersey for the ski season, but it lost its cache this week :)1694727053456.jpeg

deadheadskier

Staff member

I don't want to minimize the opioid problem in this country because it is bad, but the cost to American society from alcohol abuse is FAR greater. And the reason is because it's used by many more people than opioids are. There are an estimated 30 million alcoholics in this country. And even beyond that, there are millions more casual drinkers who screw up in one way or another and cause problems for themselves and others.

Our alcohol issues in this country are highly minimized due to its social acceptance.

skiur

I don't want to minimize the opioid problem in this country because it is bad, but the cost to American society from alcohol abuse is FAR greater. And the reason is because it's used by many more people than opioids are. There are an estimated 30 million alcoholics in this country. And even beyond that, there are millions more casual drinkers who screw up in one way or another and cause problems for themselves and others.

Our alcohol issues in this country are highly minimized due to its social acceptance.

I would think the # of alcoholics is much higher than 30 mil. Probably half of alcoholics don't think they are an alcoholic.