• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Too much of a good thing?

Cannonball

Early season I'll sometimes bail knowing that terrain is limited. Late season there are rain and refreeze events that can sway me to seek alternate plans on a Saturday or Sunday.

Maybe I just get more picky about the days I go in the early and late season which isn't really getting sick of it.

This! I get picky about quality over quantity.

I will say that if I were to just alpine ski in super early season when only a single blue or green is open, I will get bored, which is why I now tele early season

And also this. I did get a little bored after living in CO and moving back to New England. So I started to snowboard, started to tele, and started doing more BC. The variety keeps it interesting when otherwise I might get tired of it.

Savemeasammy

Well I wouldn't say I get sick of it. What ends up happening is that I get sick of skiing the same place over and over again. I believe in the adage "variety is the spice of life". I see this guy at my home hill ski the same 2 trails over and over again and I just can't understand it. So as I get sick of skiing my home hill by the end of the season the costs add up too much to ski other places on a regular basis. Also finding people to go with ends up being an issue as well. My friends and family don't seem as dedicated to skiing as I am.

The problem with the "home hill" is that there are very few trails worth skiing!! If not for the fact that I hadn't been only a handful of times since January, I might think you were talking about me ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warp Daddy

I have too many interests for any one activity to dominate my existence . But that said ,skiing is a high priority. i focus on Quality rather than quantity and by the time it is spring i am into other outdoor activities .AT almost 71 now i start to listen to my body in the the late season and frankly have no desire to play in slush or mank or mashed potatoes anymore .

Balance in one's interests as someone else mentioned is KEY . i do jones for skiing when late fall rolls around and my summer fall outdoor activities start to get a little stale

dlague

Well I wouldn't say I get sick of it. What ends up happening is that I get sick of skiing the same place over and over again. I believe in the adage "variety is the spice of life". I see this guy at my home hill ski the same 2 trails over and over again and I just can't understand it. So as I get sick of skiing my home hill by the end of the season the costs add up too much to ski other places on a regular basis. Also finding people to go with ends up being an issue as well. My friends and family don't seem as dedicated to skiing as I am.

I am lucky, my wife, best friend and skiing partner will ski with me to the end! However she was not too keen about Superstar last year so mid may I did a solo trip to K town.

I also think the way we approach skiing by skiing so many mountains we by default incorporate variety which keeps us going.

We also like hanging out to listen to bands at the bars and just chillin' between runs and the end of the day!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

Just a couple of days ago I was watching some Youtube videos of "dry hill" skiing in England. Apparently the technology has improved a lot, but it still doesn't look fun.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Tenney Mt tried the synthetic snow in the summer a number of years ago.

If (when) I live in New England, I'd pay to go skiing a day or two in the middle of the summer. Too bad energy prices have shot up, making it that much more unfeasable.

VTKilarney

Tenney Mt tried the synthetic snow in the summer a number of years ago.

I was referring to the plastic mats that are placed on the hill. Neveplast, one of the latest products, claims to have the same coefficient of friction between the surface and the ski as snow. Seems too good to be true.

It does look impressively fast in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wnj-rN4904
Although the slope is not steep, I am not sure it looks as fast in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd3_LNaxmLw

And if Attitash wants summer revenues, I suggest they install this Neveplast product:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj2fnpUgiFg

Tenney's summer snow was actual snow using this technology: http://www.snowmagic.com/

Did Tenney ever get it to work? If they did, was anyone able to try it?

Last edited:

jimk

Good discussion. I agree with a lot said. Generally, I never get bored with skiing, but that's easy to say when you only get 20-25 days a season. Like St. Bear I'm not sure what my answer would be if I got 100, but when I think back on sunny, 45 deg days with good snow on a good mtn I just want to be there every day, all day. I love being in a mtn environment in summertime too. I know I didn't get bored when I was 20something and skied 40-50 days per winter and that was mostly on one smaller hill with 1000' vertical.

I have other recreational interests, but none rise to the obsession level like skiing. But still, I like the change of seasons and never considered summer skiing in South America. Just too many winter ski trips I could take with that money. VTKilarney mentioned the social part of it. For me that is also a huge factor and even skiing a small, familiar hill is very fun when I'm with a gang of good and friendly skiers/riders. I do feel a little empty sometimes skiing alone on a less than stellar day, but then I just befriend a stranger for a few runs or find an interesting trail to practice on.

Dlague is a very lucky dude to have an avid skiing wife ==> take super good care of her. If and when kids come, do everything you can to keep ski trips fun for the wife. Joshua Segal is a wise old skiing spirit who I'd like to ski with sometime if he would wait up for me! I think I'm going to be retired by next season and hope to get something like 60 ski days and will conduct a thorough analysis of this matter:)

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I was referring to the plastic mats that are placed on the hill. Neveplast, one of the latest products, claims to have the same coefficient of friction between the surface and the ski as snow. Seems too good to be true.

It does look impressively fast in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wnj-rN4904
Although the slope is not steep, I am not sure it looks as fast in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd3_LNaxmLw

And if Attitash wants summer revenues, I suggest they install this Neveplast product:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj2fnpUgiFg

Tenney's summer snow was actual snow using this technology: http://www.snowmagic.com/

Did Tenney ever get it to work? If they did, was anyone able to try it?

I didn't ski it, I wouldn't be surprised if someone on this forum did though.

From what I've read, it's really expensive, and we live in a different world in 2014 than the early 2000's when gas was hovering around $1/gallon.

dlague

Dlague is a very lucky dude to have an avid skiing wife ==> take super good care of her. If and when kids come, do everything you can to keep ski trips fun for the wife.

Kids - 4, 2 on there own, 2 at home. Two snowboarders and two skiers - winter has been a family fun time and my wife promoted it! One son is now in Florida and left snowboarding with no interests any longer. Another son is in the military stationed in Germany and has been skiing at Ler Moos, Zell am See and Zugspitze. Our 18 year old hasn't skied much this year due to part-time work but is a very good skier and ski instructor. Our youngest is the other knuckle-dragger and can rip anything up at 11 (benefited by being the youngest). BTW we are a hers, mine and ours kind of family. The kids are the ones responsible for pushing my wife - her attitude - put up or shut up!

All of this is why we never get sick of skiing!

Bostonian

I don't think I could ever get sick of skiing... Unfortunately, while I have gotten out more this season than the last two, my wife doesn't ski and I still have a 3 year old at home. I am hoping next year to get him into ski school at gunstock, I want him to really love the sport as much as I do. I may be far from a good skier, but I do have a lot of fun out there and cannot wait for the day with my little boy will be on his skis with me.

Savemeasammy

I may be far from a good skier, but I do have a lot of fun out there and cannot wait for the day with my little boy will be on his skis with me.

You've got it. I really enjoy skiing with my boys. It's a whole different kind of fun!

hammer

I have too many interests for any one activity to dominate my existence . But that said ,skiing is a high priority. i focus on Quality rather than quantity and by the time it is spring i am into other outdoor activities .AT almost 71 now i start to listen to my body in the the late season and frankly have no desire to play in slush or mank or mashed potatoes anymore .

Balance in one's interests as someone else mentioned is KEY . i do jones for skiing when late fall rolls around and my summer fall outdoor activities start to get a little stale

Agree with this viewpoint except being around 21 years younger my body can still tolerate a bit (just a bit) more abuse. Am jealous of those who can still get out now but mentally I've moved on to warmer weather activities.

I'm hoping that my body will cooperate as well in 21 years...

hammer

+1 Watching them grow in to really good skiers/snowboarders is as rewarding as it gets!
And then there's the point when they become better than you are...happened quickly for me because of my skill level but it will happen to most...

Smellytele

And then there's the point when they become better than you are...happened quickly for me because of my skill level but it will happen to most...

While my kids ski faster than me not so sure they ski better than me. I also tele which I do a lot slower than I used to ski on my 205's.

Savemeasammy

While my kids ski faster than me not so sure they ski better than me. I also tele which I do a lot slower than I used to ski on my 205's.

What he is trying to say here is that he is a bad ass, and his kids have little hope of ever overtaking him. At least that's how I read it ;)