• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tuckerman Ravine

Black Phantom

I am sorry I forgot to resize this for dmt's mobile viewing pleasure!!

fd7905c69.jpg

Now, that is big.

That is a beautiful photo!

gorgonzola

well i was gonna say this is a good thread since i'm planning my first trip to tux (for the 3rd or 4th time- wtf!) before it got asshatized...

dmc

well i was gonna say this is a good thread since i'm planning my first trip to tux (for the 3rd or 4th time- wtf!) before it got asshatized...

COOL!!! doing a day trip or spending the night at the shelters..

I like the shelters.. Great party scene at HOJOs after the day trippers leave... :)

snowmonster

My two cents about Tux is to first watch the weather report and avy advisories for the day/s you plan to go then pack accordingly. You have to strike a balance between having all the gear you need and being minimalist enough so that you're not carrying more than you should. That being said, unless you're climbing to high summit objectives in exposed terrain or getting off the beaten path, crampons and ice ax may not be needed. Tux from April to May can be a crowded place and the boot packs have been set all over the place. I'm not saying that you shouldn't bring an ax and 'pons. I'll leave that to your individual judgement. I'll sometimes bring them along just in case I'm feeling ambitious. It's better to have them when you need them rather than wishing you had them and they're just sitting in your car 2,000 feet below.

When I do a daytrip to Tux, this is my checklist for my pack:

- ski, boots, poles and skins (if the TRT is still skinnable)
- helmet, goggles, gloves, glove liners, headliner, balaclava, hand warmer
- baseball cap, lipbalm, sunscreen
- baselayer, fleece, shell, bib, sox including extra pair
- first aid kit, sam splint, basic repair tools (duct tape), Swiss army knife or multitool, matches, emergency reflective blanket
- map, compass, whistle
- water, food, beer, scotch

It may sound like a lot but they're actually not much. Have fun and stay safe!

gorgonzola

COOL!!! doing a day trip or spending the night at the shelters..

I like the shelters.. Great party scene at HOJOs after the day trippers leave... :)

day tripper (taking the easy way out...) for the first time - shooting for 4/30 weekend

Last edited:

dmc

In keeping with the minimalist approach, it's in a flask. I look forward to sharing some with you in the bc someday!

Indeed! I bring a flask of tequila... And some Kaluha for my coffee and hot chocolate.. :)

thetrailboss

Staff member
what a friggin' douchebag..

Pot meet kettle!!!!!

Insert obligatory large pic here

Tuckerman_Ravine_Stevage.jpg

Get a life...

Stop whining!!!!!:smash:

I repeat... Get a life...

No, I repeat.

Stop whining!!!!!!!!:smack:

So Nick... Welcome to the Puck show..

Don't you think people are sick and tired of your attacks on me?
Can you just relax and stop being a tool?

Enough for one day gentlemen.

dmc

Enough for one day gentlemen.

Nice way to jump in after and bring it up with your typical blast post - after it's settled -

Since your the one who had to drag it back up again...

Your editorial missed his first blast to me... All i said to the poster - not Puck was

REsize PIX please?

then he said

dmz is just a whiner about large pics. He is pic envy.

You'd think moderators would ask people to not use such large pictures.. But you seem to busy just trying to look like a moderator...

Let me add this as well..
You are going to make him whine again because you left the high resolution pic in your post.

and this...

See, I told you.

whiner.gif

Forgot this in you editorial tooo...

All he needs to do is apologize for being an a$$hat whiner for all of these years.

I "apologize" - now let's drop this..

Last edited:

Puck it

Nice way to jump in after and bring it up with your typical blast post - after it's settled -

Since your the one who had to drag it back up again...

Your editorial missed his first blast to me... All i said to the poster - not Puck was

then he said

You'd think moderators would ask people to not use such large pictures.. But you seem to busy just trying to look like a moderator...

Let me add this as well..

See, I told you.

whiner.gif

octopus

Has anyone hiked this in snowboard boots? I was thinking about going soon and wondering if this would be a wise choice for hiking.