• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

tune up and wax

Joshua

Another question, I am an aggressive skier spending most of my time on advanced terrain and in the woods, how often do I need to tune my skis? More specifically, how often to wax, sharpen, or both....thank you for your help. I had a full tune up before the season started (stone grind, wax, sharpen etc) and have skied 3 times since then, all in cold, hard packed conditions.

C

clg898

You can never wax too much, honestly, if you have the time it's a good idea to wax your skis after every day out there. You don't need to, but it will preserve your bases while helping you glide and turn better. After a day on the slopes most of the wax is worn off of your skis, but be sure to use a good plexi scraper and nylon brush to clean out all the old wax before applying a new coat. Oh and forget about base cleaning fluids, I never use them. They tend to really dry out your bases. I leave that to my full tunes at the ski shop.

As far as sharpening the edges, I do it after every 4-6 days; more often in hardpacked, icy condition, less often in PP. At the end of every day I take a small hand stone and go over any noticeable burrs on my edges, it really helps extend the tune.

You really shouldn't stone grind too often, once at the end of the season ought to be enough for most recreational skiers. If you're skiing a lot, roughly every 30 skiing days...

The only time I vary from this schedule is if I have a deep gouge that touches the metal edges of my skis or extends into the core of the ski. The P-tex candles that work fine for minor gouges don't hold too well against the metal edges and tend to rip out of deeper gouges. For those, I bring them to a good shop to have the work done.

sledhaulingmedic

clg898 said:
You can never wax too much, ...

If you spend more time waxing your skis then skiing on them, you're waxing too often :lol:

I like to have a fresh wax each day, if I have the time. I don't usually do more than a little touch up to the edges unless I've really wailed on them.

Early season, I tend to be putting a lot more work into my skis (mostly because the poor base depths tend to take more out of them!)

dmc

Brettski said:
But the machines do such a good job with the edges that a simple file can't compare to....

Dissagree(respectfully)...

A hand tune is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better to ski on as well as it's better for your skis...

SkiDog

I try to get mine taken care of each time I go out..help to have some friends in ski shops... :D makes for fast, on the fly, cheap tunes....just make sure the skis make it inside the night before, so they don't need to warm up before the tune..takes longer... ;)

M

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com
Anyone got a good how to manual.

I have one, but it's a little. I know there are different bevels for the side cuts of the edge that you have to be careful so you don't mess up the edge...

So a hand edging is better hmmmmm...does it just take longer?

I got a tune in PA, and man that guy did a stellar job...

Charlie Schuessler

Brettski said:
...but the machines do such a good job with the edges that a simple file can't compare to....

I couldn't disagree with you more...except for a pre-season stone grind and any binding repairs, I tune & repair my skis...the grinding the automatic machines do to an edge is criminal compared to an expirenced hand filed & stoned edge...

Practice makes perfect and with five pairs you can make perfect edges... :wink:

dmc

Charlie Schuessler said:
Brettski said:
...but the machines do such a good job with the edges that a simple file can't compare to....

I couldn't disagree with you more...except for a pre-season stone grind and any binding repairs, I tune & repair my skis...the grinding the automatic machines do to an edge is criminal compared to an expirenced hand filed & stoned edge...

Practice makes perfect and with five pairs you can make perfect edges... :wink:

All it takes is one badly setup machine and your edges get railed.. And that skcus...

SkiDog

some of those machines in the right hands can do wonderful things for ski bases in regards to certian snow types...powder, hardpack, west coast, east coast...wet snow...I know my guy puts a nice pattern in the bases for when I go out west...

M

Talisman

clg898 said:
Oh and forget about base cleaning fluids, I never use them. They tend to really dry out your bases.

I agree with you about the noxious fumes from base cleaner, but doubt that it will 'dry out' the bases. I have used base cleaner with no ill affect on the bases.

The term 'dried out' bases is often a misnomer and refers to un waxed bases with thousands of micro scratches giving the ski base a dy look.