• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Acquires Crans-Montana Resort

Cobbold

No idea how their previous Euro acquisition is going. Is the food shittier and more expensive? Are bars randomly closing? Season shortened?
Edd, I went last January I liked the place, Andermatt sedrun, Wasn’t the snowiest of winters in the alps last year, will definitely go back, I stayed in the radisson hotel, they were building another hotel next to it last winter, I checked the web cams and it seems there is a building boom there, 6/8 cranes around the radison hotel that you can see on the web cam. Gorgeous ride up from Zurich past a couple of lakes and the mountains came right down to the lakes, very pretty. when I go back, will take the time and take the train to zermatt and ski that, 2 hours by train I think.

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
No idea how their previous Euro acquisition is going. Is the food shittier and more expensive? Are bars randomly closing? Season shortened?

I would think Vail doesn't touch operations of the Euro resorts. Totally different market and a lot of shit they pull in the US/Canada would not fly out there. Wayyyyy more competition between resorts. I would ASSume that the drop in profit margin compared to the NA resorts is made up for in the massive volume that European resorts can do. But, I have not been to a European VR.

BenedictGomez

I would think Vail doesn't touch operations of the Euro resorts. Totally different market and a lot of shit they pull in the US/Canada would not fly out there. Wayyyyy more competition between resorts. I would ASSume that the drop in profit margin compared to the NA resorts is made up for in the massive volume that European resorts can do. But, I have not been to a European VR.

I presume "Wayyyy" more regulation as well which would tie their hands from doing as they please.

thetrailboss

Staff member
"To quote my buddy Barack, 'Yes we can!' And yes we did! You're welcome!"

vail-resorts-robert-katz.jpg

crystalmountainskier

Well they fired the Swiss manager at Andermatt and installed the previous head of Park City who was basically run out of town.

ctdubl07

Edd, I went last January I liked the place, Andermatt sedrun, Wasn’t the snowiest of winters in the alps last year, will definitely go back, I stayed in the radisson hotel, they were building another hotel next to it last winter, I checked the web cams and it seems there is a building boom there, 6/8 cranes around the radison hotel that you can see on the web cam. Gorgeous ride up from Zurich past a couple of lakes and the mountains came right down to the lakes, very pretty. when I go back, will take the time and take the train to zermatt and ski that, 2 hours by train I think.
Ironic, Im doing same.....January 2024 to ASed staying at Radisson. I'll report back if it appears any more Vaily....but I tend to agree that it should be a lighter touch as these Euro areas are very provincial in their attitudes/operations towards outsiders.

Cobbold

Ironic, Im doing same.....January 2024 to ASed staying at Radisson. I'll report back if it appears any more Vaily....but I tend to agree that it should be a lighter touch as these Euro areas are very provincial in their attitudes/operations towards outsiders.
Have fun, I enjoyed it,

Cobbold

Usually hate to recommend restaurants, everyone likes different things, but biselli restaurant across the courtyard is excellent in my opinion, was so good the first nite went back the next next night.

2planks2coasts

I presume "Wayyyy" more regulation as well which would tie their hands from doing as they please.
Vail Resorts growing at all is a bad thing for skiing as a sport. That said, Europe is likely to be able to handle their assault better than North America. Many (most?) European resorts are a collection of associated lift companies. The extortion....errr.... profit centers that Vail uses to gouge folks in NA; the lodging and food are frequently independently owned, despite their mid-mountain locations.

BodeMiller1

This is one of the reasons Rome fell (spread too thin). Good luck over taking Switzerland. They are a slippery lot.
If this advance is not stopped it could be the end of reasonably priced skiing as we know it.
R.I.P. under €100 a day