• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What are you drinking right now?

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Smells Like a Safety Meeting IPA, Dark Horse Brewing Co., out of Marshall, MI.

It is really a DIPA, at 8.5% abv. Pours a dark amber with a straw colored head that leaves a heavy, thick lacing on the glass. A hoppy, sweet, carmel nose, with a very big, yet balanced finish. The hops are plentiful but balanced by a strong, sweet, malty backbone. Quite a tasty DIPA.

Edd

Harpoon IPA

Seems like Harpoon has Boston by the balls. Often when I hit a restaurant down there it's my only IPA choice. I'm clearly hitting the wrong places because I rarely see it on tap around seacoast NH anymore.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm surprised we don't. It's Tod Mott's recipe. He obviously moved on long ago, but it's a classic. First IPA I ever had. Bought it outside a Phish show at UMASS in 1994.

I hardly drink it these days. Maybe I'll grab a six pack this weekend.

Edd

I used to like it more but it throws me when I try it now. Last week, I was wondering if they'd altered the recipe or if my taste buds have changed; I suspect it's the latter.

ctenidae

Harpoon so quickly went from "Cool, new beer!" to "Meh." It's never my first choice, and only occasionally is it the only choice. I want to like it, and I certainly don't dislike it. I just don't care about it at all. Weird.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My only hesitation buying it is that really the only time I drink it is at either Fenway or the Orpheum. Both places haven't cleaned their draught lines since the New Deal. So, I'm not sure if that stale taste is singed enough into memory that I'll have the same experience with a bottle.

drjeff

I'm much more a fan of most of Harpoon's 100 Barrel Series these days or a UFO White with a wedge of orange on a nice summer evening - their IPA is a classic for sure though! Not sure if you had a contest amongst real Boston beer drinkers, over the age of 35, about what is the most classical iconic craft beer of Boston, Sam Adams Boston Lager or Harpoon IPA?? Two beer legends for sure!!

drjeff

Otter Creek Backseat Berner - this is rapidly becoming my go to, relatively easy to get in my part of CT, GOOD IPA!! Just so much fresh, hoppy goodness going on in this brew!

prsboogie

Drj lovin the Berner, you should check out oskar blues Pinner throwback IPA, little spendy for a sixer but oooohhh soooooo good!

dlague

Seems like Harpoon has Boston by the balls. Often when I hit a restaurant down there it's my only IPA choice. I'm clearly hitting the wrong places because I rarely see it on tap around seacoast NH anymore.

I'm surprised we don't. It's Tod Mott's recipe. He obviously moved on long ago, but it's a classic. First IPA I ever had. Bought it outside a Phish show at UMASS in 1994.

I hardly drink it these days. Maybe I'll grab a six pack this weekend.

I used to like it more but it throws me when I try it now. Last week, I was wondering if they'd altered the recipe or if my taste buds have changed; I suspect it's the latter.

Harpoon so quickly went from "Cool, new beer!" to "Meh." It's never my first choice, and only occasionally is it the only choice. I want to like it, and I certainly don't dislike it. I just don't care about it at all. Weird.

My only hesitation buying it is that really the only time I drink it is at either Fenway or the Orpheum. Both places haven't cleaned their draught lines since the New Deal. So, I'm not sure if that stale taste is singed enough into memory that I'll have the same experience with a bottle.

I'm much more a fan of most of Harpoon's 100 Barrel Series these days or a UFO White with a wedge of orange on a nice summer evening - their IPA is a classic for sure though! Not sure if you had a contest amongst real Boston beer drinkers, over the age of 35, about what is the most classical iconic craft beer of Boston, Sam Adams Boston Lager or Harpoon IPA?? Two beer legends for sure!!

It happens to be a go to beer for me because it is a sponsor. It does not have the hoppy flavor like fiddle head or others that are are a little more chewy. Easy to drink though.

drjeff

Jack's abbey hoponius union. Not bad, but nothing special.

Their Framinghammer either vanilla or coffee porters have a bunch of shelf space in my beer fridge right now!!

And I don't care 1 bit if some people think that porters (and stouts for that matter) are just meant for colder weather!! A great beer is a great beer, regardless of what the temperature is outside!! :beer: