• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What counts as a 'ski day'?

mondeo

Technically it's a "ski night" not a "ski day". Now we'll have to figure out at what time does a "day" become a "night". My vote is 6 PM or sunset or whichever comes first.
day /d'eɪ/
Synonyms:
  • days plural
  • <LI class=dct-em>A day is one of the seven twenty-four hour periods of time in a week.
  • Day is the time when it is light, or the time when you are up and doing things.
Ski day takes the first meaning to me.

Greg

Staff member
yeah i kind of operate on the 3 run rule though i've probably never done less than 5. if i'm earning then 1 run is a ski day.

Do you take vertical or run length into account?

drjeff

I actually had one day last season where we did that... opening day at Sundown, we skied in the morning, went home & took a nap, then came back for a night session. And yes, I counted it as one day.

Okay, next hypothetical based on this. If you have 2 completely seperate ski sessions at 2 completely different ski areas during 1 day, does it count as 1 or 2 ski days??? (for reference what I mean is if you say skied Mohawk during the day and then drove to Sundown for a night session, not for example if you skied Killington and then 20 minutes or so later after a short drive your on the chair at Pico)

Riverskier

One run= ski day. However, if a high % of your ski days are one or two runs, it may be worth mentioning that when discussing your count with someone.

SKIQUATTRO

If you "click in" its a ski day.

I spent 4.5 at mowhawk on sat skiing wiht my 4yr old on the bunny hill and my 7 yr old from the top...had a blast...so fun skiing with them and seeing their stoke....

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Okay, next hypothetical based on this. If you have 2 completely seperate ski sessions at 2 completely different ski areas during 1 day, does it count as 1 or 2 ski days??? (for reference what I mean is if you say skied Mohawk during the day and then drove to Sundown for a night session, not for example if you skied Killington and then 20 minutes or so later after a short drive your on the chair at Pico)
Ooooooh! Good twist! You could, if ambitious, do quite a few in one day that way! (Whether or not you want to pay for all those lift tickets is another story....)

Warp Daddy

A ski day for me means a FULL day of skiing defined as starting roughly 9-9:30 skiing till lunch ( about 20 -30 min ) then skiing till 3-3:30 ish . That's how we do it , since the closest ski area is approx 90 min away

reefer

if it makes you happy, it's a ski day!

Because I don't ski a local hill, and drive at least two hours to do it, and don't have a season pass, my ski days are usually open to close, with about an hour lunch break.........................

Never worry about counting anything like days, vertical, runs, etc..............................

polski

Website
twitter.com
I'm with those who say if you make one run, it's a ski day. However, I think it is necessary to make linked turns on that run. So there was one day in December where I booted up a local little hill and made one run but didn't link any turns, and after giving it some thought I've decided not to count that. I'm also not going to count runs down the septic hill in my front yard, 10' vert, even though I've grabbed some nice freshies there. A guy's gotta have standards ya know :lol:

Last edited:

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I'm with those who say if you make one run, it's a ski day. However, I think it is necessary to make linked turns on that run. So there was one day in December where I booted up a local little hill and made one run but didn't link any turns, and after giving it some thought I've decided not to count that. I'm also not going to count runs down the septic hill in my front yard, 10' vert, even though I've grabbed some nice freshies there. A guy's gotta have standards ya know :lol:

What about if you just straightline the entire run? No stops, no turns at all.

jerryg

All good answers and all correct. I've very rarely had a ski day that wasn't at least 3 runs and that is typically because of weather (wind) or super-crappy conditions. I had a couple of nights over the past few years where we raced two runs in negative temps and it was so cold that almost everyone was done after their two runs, me included. Alas, it was a ski day. Most importantly is when you get out there, forget about the real world for some period of time, breathe in the crisp air, look around, smile, and realize how lucky we all are. If you get some sweet turns in to boot, well that's one heck of a ski day! :fangun: