• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What New Places Did You Ski This Year?

Cornhead

The whole Mad river valley ski areas for sure, and shore people here will be shocked to here from me Plattekill in NY Catskills (you think they pay me or something lol ).

+1 for Platty, if you ski the Cats and haven't been, get there. I kick myself for waiting so long to ski it...I'll take cash, check, or lift tickets, Laz, thank you. +1 on Sugarbush and MRG too, both awesome places yet quite different from each other. Virtually next to each other too, if you're going to ski one, might as well hit both. Sugarbush is pricey, $83 midweek. I skied one day on a Warren Miller voucher, first decent one in my area in years, and two days for $44 each from Boston dot com, thanks whoever posted it in the "skiing on the cheap" sticky. I skied MRG for $40, five bucks off from the Golden Lion, a steal at the regular $45, sorry boarders.

snowmonster

Out of all the areas I visited this season for the first time, I was most impressed by Dartmouth. Pretty cool little place and the only "new to me" area for this year that I will be returning to.

Thanks for the TR on Dartmouth. I've always wanted to ski that place. Glad to know it's a great place to ski. I hear that you can't ski in the woods there. True? Anyway, love the connection to ski history too. DOC and all.

Kirkwood-This was all new and almost immediately my favorite as soon as the snow came despite being a 45 min drive and I lived almost walking distance from heavenly.

Northstar-All the bros in Tahoe like to talk shit on Northstar but when a big storm rols into town I'll be skiing the backside or lookout with practically noone there while they wait in 45 minute lines to ski limited terrain. Also the snowmaking here was clutch during our early season drought...The only other area that was even close to northstar in January was heavenly. Both make lots of snow, both on the same pass.

Squaw-Finally got a nice sunny day here in early April. Lots of hype, now I know why. One of the sickest places I've set skis on and I've skied around quite a bit. I will have a pass here next year for sure, I'm seriously thinking about giving up my impossibly sweet living situation on South Lake to be closer to Squaw/Alpine. I probably won't but man is it tempting.

Of all these places, Squaw is at the top of my list. Need to do California soon.

Deer Valley. Very nice.

Very, very nice indeed! Next time, we hit the X Files.

snoseek

Of all these places, Squaw is at the top of my list. Need to do California soon.

You need to seriously think about kwood too, no shortage of awesome there. You know how to do this all cheap. A can of brown bread and a sixer of shipyard:beer:

filejw

Niseko Japan and it was fabulous even with the long ride. But this being the worst snow in my 55 years of skiing that trip barely removed the disappointment of such a poor season.

jaytrem

Add in Orford and Sutton and I'll have all of the Townships that I care to see (no interest in Bromont). Then a trip to QC the year after that (I should probably at MSA to the list).

I felt the same way about Bromont until I skied there. Turned out to be a great day. There were a lot of nice trees with leftover powder. Ended up skiing until about 6 on what was planned to be a shorter day. They've about doubled the terrain since I was there, so I'd love to get back and check out the new stuff.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Thanks for the TR on Dartmouth. I've always wanted to ski that place. Glad to know it's a great place to ski. I hear that you can't ski in the woods there. True? Anyway, love the connection to ski history too. DOC and all.

Very, very nice indeed! Next time, we hit the X Files.

The truth is out there.

And I think a Squaw trip is in order. You'd like it.

Smellytele

Did a Southern VT trip and got lucky with the last week of Feb/early March snowstorm
Stratton
Bromley
Magic
Next year I am heading with the family to Whiteface, Gore and maybe Titus. I am still trying to get to Saddleback maybe on a guys weekend up to Sugarloaf.

Angus

no complaints here...

Grand Targhee
Jackson Hole
Smuggler's Notch
Saddleback

buellski

Did Black for the first time this year. Really warm day and they had lost a lot of snow, but it was really fun and it looks like there is some really good terrain there if they have the snow. I definitely want to go back when there are better conditions.

Cornhead

Niseko Japan and it was fabulous even with the long ride. But this being the worst snow in my 55 years of skiing that trip barely removed the disappointment of such a poor season.

This sounds like quite the adventure, kudos. The only place other than the East I've skied is New Mexico, Taos four times, Santa Fe six or seven, and Pajarito once. On my last trip out there, I contemplated driving from Santa Fe to Southern Colorado. I was going to ski Telluride and Wolf Creek. I have free lodging and transportation in Santa Fe. The drive would be about the same distance as a trip to Jay from my home. Taos is incredible, I was hiking Ghost Ranch one day, 96 degrees, the next I was skiing a foot and a half of powder at Taos, surreal.

I'll have to make plans to hit some other places out West, SLC is an obvious choice. Places I've never been on my to do list next year on the East Coast are, Cannon, Magic, possibly Mt. Snow. Sounds like many of you have hit some awesome places out West.

2knees

only bagged one new area, solitude. Next year i'm going out 3 days early and on my own. Plan on alta, snowbird and probably solitude again. that place had so much potential but the eastern hardpack conditions kept me under control.

and the rental skis with no edges.....

snowmonster

You need to seriously think about kwood too, no shortage of awesome there. You know how to do this all cheap. A can of brown bread and a sixer of shipyard:beer:

You got it, snoseek. That sixer: which beer? Thumper?
The truth is out there.

And I think a Squaw trip is in order. You'd like it.

Squaw gave us Julia Mancuso and Ingrid Backstrom. Yeah. I figure it's my kind of place.;)

Angus

Taos is incredible, I was hiking Ghost Ranch one day, 96 degrees, the next I was skiing a foot and a half of powder at Taos, surreal.

Taos is awesome...if you like steeps and bumps, Taos is the place with a great southwest vibe.

k123

Got to shred a bunch of new mountains this year:

Hunter
Gore
Stowe
Magic
& Killington

xwhaler

New for me this season: Magic, Cannon, Sugarbush, Burke
Hopefully new for next yr: MRG, Dartmouth, Middlebury

playoutside

Out of all the areas I visited this season for the first time, I was most impressed by Dartmouth. Pretty cool little place and the only "new to me" area for this year that I will be returning to.

I added Dartmouth to my list last year and completely agree! It was a mountain on my list to check off...and now it will be one that needs to repeated! Middlebury was the same for me...added to my list 4-5 years ago and now I go every year.

I added 7 to my list this year:

Butternut
Jiminy Peak
Wildcat
Bretton Woods
Gore
West
Catamount