• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What Northeast Ski Town in the Northeast Would You Move To?

Edd

Gotta go with downtown Burlington. So much skiing close to a fairly substantial town. I need a decent nightlife, preferably within walking distance of where I live.

AdironRider

Waterbury huh? Never really gave it much thought as I always drove right past it to the Cabot factory store for some free cheese then onwards to Stowe. Well have to spend a day there.

I guess I should clarify that while a downtown with shops and restuarants would be nice (Im a foodie), its not the end all be all. Id gladly take skiing over apres any day of the week.

bigbob

I have been in the process of Moving to Bethlehem NH for a few years. Great little town. Bohemian and artsy. Minutes to Cannon. 45 to Burke and Wildcat and 1.25 to Stowe. Although we never go anywhere but Cannon anymore. We considered the Stowe, Warren Waitsfield area as well but the Cannon area is just much easier to get to from RI.

You forgot to mention Cassellas landfill in Bethlehem...

AdironRider

We actually looked at a place in Bethlehem for shits and giggles a few years back. All of the properties were really cool old large homes, only thing was like half of them were in the pits. That is a town with potential though ,thats for sure.

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
Lake Placid . . . Lakefront on Lake Placid with a boat and walking (or short bike) distance to the village. That would be the good life.

Only downside is the 15 minute drive to Whiteface . . . Ehhh, I guess no place is perfect.

WWF-VT

My man! Thats what Im talking about. Ill try to set up some dinner reservations when we roll through in September.

No reservations at the Alchemist. Hen of the Wood is outstanding - be sure to get your reservation well in advance if you plan to go on a weekend night

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Ski towns, not cities close to an hour away from skiing (I know Burlington is slightly closer than that, but not by much). I can see why people would want to live there though.

Deadhead, interesting on the Bethel vs. Stowe thing. I guess I just never explored much more than around Mansfield itself. The wakeboarding thing would be for pure pleasure reasons at this point, I would be more of the leisure business with cedar canvas canoes.

Were going to back in the Northeast in September for two weeks to check all the places out. Weve been gone five years now and I think were both a little rusty on our memory knowledge of these individual ski towns back East.

Right now my top three in order or preference are Lake Placid, Bethel, and Stowe. If I were to move Id be building our house and starting a custom canoe company so water is pretty important for both of us I suppose. Money, not so much. Stowe isnt the best fit but Champlain isnt to far and VT just kills it on the skiing aspect.

Question, how is Lake Placid a ski town, but Burlington not?

AdironRider

Also, AdironRider, haven't you been living out west for the past few years? Why are you moving back (out of curiosity)?

I kinda went over it a few pages back, but the new wife has a bunch of family back east. I want to stay in Jackson, but could be sold on the idea (more likely easier than not).

Anyways, if it came down to it Id probably still pull for Lake Placid. I miss 3100 vert 5 minute downhill scrambles and Ubu ales. And I haven't gotten to ride the expansion yet. Little house close to downtown Lake Placid would be enough for me. Thats actually attainable. In Jackson itd be a million bucks just for the lot the place sits on. Thats another reason, unless I want condo living, Im not buying in Jackson.

AdironRider

Question, how is Lake Placid a ski town, but Burlington not?

Really? I wouldnt exactly call Burlington a town per say, and your 45 minutes from Stowe or Smuggs whereas Whiteface is maybe 15. Thats closer than Teton Village is to Jackson. Theres probably 10x the year round population in Burlington as opposed to Lake Placid.

Burlington is a city near skiing.

UVSHTSTRM

Being a former Mainer, I would probably pick Rangeley, Me. Close to Saddleback and Sugarloaf is huge, plus ice fishing and great snowmobiling. As simple person it has enough for me to do in regards to apres activities....basically if I can buy beer and drink at home I am set. They also have a new bowling alley with pool tables and bar, along with many other mom and pop bars/eateries. Then during the summer you have world class fishing right out the front door, and other great summer options such as top notch white water rafting just a couple hours away. It's also fairly affordable.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Really? I wouldnt exactly call Burlington a town per say, and your 45 minutes from Stowe or Smuggs whereas Whiteface is maybe 15. Thats closer than Teton Village is to Jackson. Theres probably 10x the year round population in Burlington as opposed to Lake Placid.

Burlington is a city near skiing.

So what is the official proximately of a town to a ski mountain to qualify it as a ski town. Oh by the way, Burlington is 24 miles from Bolton Valley, Lake Placid is 19 miles from Whiteface.

AdironRider

North Creek has been a possibility before, and not completely ruled out either.