• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What twin tip skis to buy this year?

JimG.

Staff member
Buddy of mine has the same ski and also complained about how quick it started falling apart. However, I think it has more to do with how we ski and less to do with the ski itself.

I'm on my second pair of Dynastar Candides and while the cosmetics hold up a little better than the Rossi B2, I seem to find places to get base shots almost weekly. As long as the edges maintain their integrity, it's usually nothing that a base weld can't fix.

ftrain

Website
www.core6.com
What is a base weld? I find the ski places just iron on ptex and do not do that great of a job. Usually I try to drip it on myself and then have the shop fix it up.
Next weekend a ski place in Nashua is putting on a class on how to tune your skis. I went last year to learn and this year is going to be a refresher. Hopefully I start doing my own skis myself more regularly. I am always scared I am going to screw up the edges.

Mike

JimG.

Staff member
ftrain said:
What is a base weld?

Damned if I know! I drip ptex into gouges too, but it never lasts more than a day and any base shots that go down to the core will continue to degenerate without a weld. The shop I use puts something in there that never comes out and that is hard like the original base, hard enough to structure.

Anybody??

dmc

JimG. said:
ftrain said:
What is a base weld?

Damned if I know! I drip ptex into gouges too, but it never lasts more than a day and any base shots that go down to the core will continue to degenerate without a weld. The shop I use puts something in there that never comes out and that is hard like the original base, hard enough to structure.

Anybody??

Trick is to pull out a little base material in the gouge so the weld stays in..

JimG.

Staff member
dmc said:
JimG. said:
ftrain said:
What is a base weld?

Anybody??

Trick is to pull out a little base material in the gouge so the weld stays in..

It's somewhat amazing, but I see exactly what you're saying. But I don't think the material they put into the weld is ptex...the stuff they use on welds is so much harder and never seems to degenerate. What is that stuff?

ctenidae

I'm thinking this is the "base weld"
http://www.forskiers.com/tuning/base_repair.asp

Seems you actually take a piece of Ptex (base) and melt it in (welding), rather than dripping from a candle.

I'd be careful, as a matter of principle, gouging out core material under a nick. Yeah, it'll hold the Ptex drip better, but you're making a bigger hole in the core that could easily deteriorate. The article recommends epoxy, and I'd have to agree. You could probably fill a deep gouge with epoxy, then use a candle oveer top of it, in a pinch.

/speaking not from ski repairexperience, just general repairing crap experience. If all else fails, slap a piece of duct tape on, lube it up with WD-40, and you're good to go.

cyrk007

i need to get some new ones next season.. I was looking into line's (i have line skogen sprangs now) and armada.. but i will check out those as well now.. they look pretty decent :p