• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What Would Be Your Perfect Ski Day?

skiing is life

ill start off with mine.

The powerlines are down, roads are barley plouged and travel is highly unrecommended. The 30 inches of powder that we heard fell up in the northcountry had us drooling as we slather on cream cheese onto our bagels, half awake, feeling groggy and tired. We dont care though. throwing the jeep in 4WD ,we ride into the storm.

We see the ski trails in the distance and we let out a joyous woop! Its eight oclock as we pull into the parking lot of the resort with only a few other cars. The lifts are spinning and and so are our heads. What do you think lay atop the summit? quick we need to get to the top before anyone else does! we throw down our pocket lettuce at the ticket seller and as quick as humany possible in ski boots, we run towards our lift, almost tripping in the thigh deep powder.

The top. 40 inches of pure white fluff lay at the top of the mountain. The snow is dry as a bone. looking at eachother, we grin and begin our decent down. The only sound thats can be heard is the soft powder being cut under our skis as we ski off towards the rising sun.

Your turn :grin:

Wake up in a nice hotel close to the slopes at 6AM..drink a bunch of caffeine..get small..have a killer good breakfast..get in line for fist chair at 7:30AM..get on the first chair at 8AM or 9AM whenever the mountain opens..ski a couple of fast groomers at Mach10 to warmup..then out of the blue a snowstorm hits dumping 4 inches of snow per hour..after a few more runs I go into the lodge for a mad steezy lunch..gatorade on ice..chili and a soft pretzal dipped in cheese sauce..after lunch my skis are covered in snow..I ski powder that gets deeper and deeper run after run after run..the last run of the day is the best run of the day. Then back to the room for cheese/crackers..and other snacks along with some beer..then a massage with a happy ending followed by a nice dinner at a steak house with wine, beer, steak, dessert and coffee..then a dip in the Jacuzzi with some more beer and a safety meeting before going online to post a trip report..

Greg

Staff member
On a powder day, little details don't really matter. Outside of that, waking up in ski country after a solid night of sleep, with little to no hangover and skiing with 2 - 4 other like-minded skiers usually results in a good day. A 55 degree bluebuird bump day in the spring can rival a powder day. Not quite, but close.

Philpug

It would start slopeside. 14" of Utah light fresh over night and tracks filled after every run. 26" by the end of the day.

Mildcat

A warm sunny midweek spring day at the Loaf. I've had a few days like that the past two years but on weekends. They still had a deep base and awesome conditions. It's like skiing a wet dream.

deadheadskier

Staff member
In Stowe.....25 degrees and overcast, midweek, 2 feet of fresh, one or two other guys ready to get after it from 7:30 AM until 3PM....day ends skiing down the Bruce to the Matterhorn for a few beers.

nothing better for me

mondeo

6" fresh, dry stuff the day after 24" of fresh, dry stuff. And hero bumps under every chairlift. And a few good friends.

danny p

perfect days are powder days, everyone in the liftlines are in good spirits, hootin' and hollerin' heard all over the place, powder covered smiles everywhere, good times! only thing that tops that is having slopeside accom. the morning of a powder day- trying to sleep the night before a pow day is like an eight year old trying to sleep on Christmas eve.
Nothing like waking up at the bottom of the hill to fresh powder!

4aprice

On a powder day, little details don't really matter. Outside of that, waking up in ski country after a solid night of sleep, with little to no hangover and skiing with 2 - 4 other like-minded skiers usually results in a good day. A 55 degree bluebuird bump day in the spring can rival a powder day. Not quite, but close.

Not to nit pick Greg but 55 is a tad warm for me. I like 35-45 where the snow softens but still has some bite. Aside from that I agree with you 100%.8)

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Moe Ghoul

Being near a mountain the nite of a storm, goin out for dinner and drinks as the snow begins to fall, getting heavier and drier as the night progresses, sparkling in the lightposts and headlights, the sound of tires moving thru the snow and the muted noise levels as mother nature lays her blanket over the countryside. Goin to bed and not falling asleep for an hour just anticipating tomorrow. Waking up the next day, looking outside and seeing a foot or more of fresh fluff on top of the cars, a slight wind blowing snow off the drifts as dawn approaches. Sippin some hot coffee while getting geared up, warming up the engine and car and hitting the road. As we approach the mountain the clouds split, and the skies turn sapphire blue as the morning sun slowly rises, a landscape of pristine fresh snow that sparkles like diamonds all around us.
Booting up and heading out of the lodge as a few flurries hit the face and taking that first ride up the lift. And then the magic begins.

There's a lot to be said about foreplay. :)

Last edited:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Blue skys and 700 acres of untouched pow:

normal_P2240033.JPG

normal_P2240050.JPG

normal_P2240055.JPG

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
Yeah, Sunny day with Blue sky, but about 36 inches the day/night before, some sort of traffic accident on the way in so that nobody is there except for a few people (me being one of them). Ski fresh powder on trails all morning, trees all afternoon.

Then loaded nachos and beer at sunset.

bvibert

Staff member
I actually like skiing in the middle of a storm, bluebird is not a necessity to me.

bvibert

Staff member
Middle of the storm is cool in the east when you can still see where you're going (and you're mostly in the trees anyway). But out west, I'd take the Bluebird powder day every time. Vertigo is not cool.

Yeah I could see that. If it's too heavy it can get a little hairy, even in the east.

mondeo

Yeah I could see that. If it's too heavy it can get a little hairy, even in the east.

Only being able to see 20 feet in front of you on a double black bump run kinda sucks, no matter where you are.

As long as there's still visibility and the light isn't too flat, I don't particularly care what the sky looks like.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Can't say too much more than most of you have said, so I will reflect on last February at Sugarloaf. Arrived mid afternoon and checked in at the Sugarloaf Inn. Had time and we grabbed a couple of runs, all with the anticipation of a storm blowing in that evening! Went back to the room, watched the weather online, as well as the Weather Channel. Early evening took the shuttle to the 'Rack' for dinner and drinks. By now it was snowing steadily. After we ate we started talking to others at the bar, and found out the band couldn't make it because of the snow..... as it was now snowing heavy!! Went back, went to bed, woke to a foot of snow, and was one of the first in line for the Superquad. Now a foot isn't a whole whole lot, but, right time, right place, great day!