• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Which ski areas have opened in June before?

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
I'm not 100% positive but I am pretty sure Sunday River didn't make it to June in 1994. I distinctly remember skiing White Heat on the 27th of May and riding up with a patroller that told me that he was hoping they would make it to June but that it was going to be there last day. It's too bad though because they had enough snow to make it to at least the first weekend.....Don't ask me why I remember this

Holy crap...are you sure you skied on that day??? I just doubled checked. That was on a Friday and I might have seen two others skiers that day. I believe the maximum people that day would have been 5. My future wife and frequent ski-partner Lucky Luke were with me. I plan to write up a retro TR on that day. I also remember seeing snow on the ground just before crossing the Quebec-Vermont border next to NH northern tip.

I remember the logistics were a nightmare. Ride on chair then hike down to the White Heat chair. At the end of the day you either hike back up to that first chair or walked all the way to the bottom. They were long portages at the top and bottom with a few short spots on WH also. I have a few pictures, I'll need to scan them first. I'll probably get them posted from next Spring.

MadMadWorld

Holy crap...are you sure you skied on that day??? I just doubled checked. That was on a Friday and I might have seen two others skiers that day. I believe the maximum people that day would have been 5. My future wife and frequent ski-partner Lucky Luke were with me. I plan to write up a retro TR on that day. I also remember seeing snow on the ground just before crossing the Quebec-Vermont border next to NH northern tip.

I remember the logistics were a nightmare. Ride on chair then hike down to the White Heat chair. At the end of the day you either hike back up to that first chair or walked all the way to the bottom. They were long portages at the top and bottom with a few short spots on WH also. I have a few pictures, I'll need to scan them first. I'll probably get them posted from next Spring.

Yea I'm pretty sure it was then. It was quite a lot of work but I had a blast. I can't remember if I shared a chair with anyone that whole day but if I did im sure it was with you! Haha. like you said I don't think I've seen a ski area so dead.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Squaw and Snowbird were open in July 2011. Snowbasin opened a day or two in June 2011 IIRC.

Yesterday was Snowbird's last day for this season. At least I was there.

thetrailboss

Staff member
That was June 2011 when Snowbasin re-opened (think it was for June 10-11 weekend). Heck even Aspen re-opened for Memorial Day weekend that year after being closed for over a month. Snowbird set an all time snow record (783" I believe) & stayed open through July 4 weekend.

Picture of Snowbird (Regulator Johnson) July 2, 2011.

View attachment 8919

I love that view. Less snow up there now. :(

Cannonball

A few years back Tenney installed a snowmaking system that didn't require it to be cold (more like an ice maker). They blew 'snow' and opened some terrain park features during the summer. That's my recollection anyway, maybe somebody has more details (or brain cells...)

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
A few years back Tenney installed a snowmaking system that didn't require it to be cold (more like an ice maker). They blew 'snow' and opened some terrain park features during the summer. That's my recollection anyway, maybe somebody has more details (or brain cells...)

I remember following that on FTO back in 2003(?). It didn't seem like it worked to well.

jimmywilson69

Don't count out A-Basin. They have said they will definitely make their scheduled closing of June 2nd. After that it will depend on snow, ticket/F&B sales. I could see them going with weekends only until July 4th

sent from AlpineZone Mobile App

ScottySkis

I remember that, did they actually make snow or was it something else?

thetrailboss

Staff member
TB, any chance Snowbird may open for the Fourth of July?

Nope, they are done. And we just got some more snow :(

The snow is less than what we had in 2011 for sure. Additionally, they are anxious to get underway with their summer stuff, which does actually get them some decent traffic. They are building a new mountain coaster and replacing Gad II with an HSQ. The haul rope was at Creekside on Monday.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I remember that, did they actually make snow or was it something else?

Yeah this was in 2003 or 2004 when they opened on July 4th with the "Japanese Snow." It was pretty small IIRC...like a small park that required walking and the snow was pretty thin. They had bigger ambitions....like opening a lift and trail or trails, but that never happened.

rtjcbrown

An article about July 4th skiing in the Tahoe basin. Boreal opened for the weekend of July 23rd that year as well.

http://www.examiner.com/article/lake-tahoe-ski-resorts-open-4th-of-july-weekend

282490_2186145263509_1543366709_2362577_5146982_n.jpg

Nugget_-212_Boreal_Layout.jpg

Quietman

Don't count out A-Basin. They have said they will definitely make their scheduled closing of June 2nd. After that it will depend on snow, ticket/F&B sales. I could see them going with weekends only until July 4th

sent from AlpineZone Mobile App

From A-Basin

Well, it is official, we are going to extend the season. We will close for four days, Monday through Thursday, June 3-6. We are going to reopen for three days, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday June 7, 8, and 9. We will have top to bottom skiing on Black Mountain Express and Lenawee Mountain Chairlifts. The chairs will open at 8:30. BMX will close at 2 PM and Lenawee will close at 2:30.

jimmywilson69

I saw that! I bet they go 1 weekend at a time. If the snow stays They will open on 7/4. It was dumping there with a reported 4" this morning when I checked.