• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who is at fault

kingslug

I'm on the lookout for everything..especially where woods dump out onto runs..many times I had someone just come out of the woods right in front of me. Have to watch out for kids all over Stowe..They are in the wood everywhere.

dblskifanatic

When there is actually a true travers or merging trail, I have a tendency look all around. In an open area it is not well defined but lesson learned look all around.

RiverRunner

That is way different from what the OP was describing at Nashoba. His specific case is someone coming right off the lift and usually pretty slow and strait across the down hill run. Kansas is much different as you are trying to keep your speed across the flat to make it to lights out. Still the Kansas skier has the greater responsibility to look. Personally skiing the skiers left on Airglow there is just asking for trouble. I always go on the right side there.

Where it gets way more interesting is the lights out intersection at Vortex. Both skiers are skiing down hill and probably really fast. There I usually just check the speed and look because that one could really hurt.
Got it— don’t ski Nashoba so was hard to visualize what he’s describing.
FWIW I find skiers left on Airglow typically has the best cover.. just gotta scrub speed before the cut across!

JimG.

Staff member
I had to look at a Belleayre trail map as I didn't remember a trail with that name. Looked back at some historical trail maps and it seems they named that "trail" about 10 years ago (right around the time I stopped regularly going there). Did they actually widen or re-grade that at all? Or just give a name to what was already there?
It's the same old cutover with a name on it now. Even with signs people ski by it all the time. And the trails it crosses over definitely are areas where people are skiing fast.

Edd

Regarding the rule that skiers starting from a stop must yield to the moving skier traffic behind them…that’s the most broken rule on the hill, by my observation. I’d say the majority of skiers who’ve stopped on the trail for a bit and start back down do not bother to look behind them before they start moving again. I’d think simple self-preservation would drive them to look around for human cruise missiles that might kill them.

cdskier

Regarding the rule that skiers starting from a stop must yield to the moving skier traffic behind them…that’s the most broken rule on the hill, by my observation. I’d say the majority of skiers who’ve stopped on the trail for a bit and start back down do not bother to look behind them before they start moving again. I’d think simple self-preservation would drive them to look around for human cruise missiles that might kill them.

Could not agree more with this. I see so many times people standing around as I'm coming down the trail that just suddenly start going without even glancing back uphill.

ThatGuy

People have a serious lack of awareness. The rise of people with headphones on only adds to that. I always keep my head on a swivel when there’s people around because broken bones don’t care who had the right of way.

SkiingInABlueDream

IMO The skier is at fault. Which kills me to say because 1) changing lines suddenly on a narrow trail (as the snowboarder did) is terrible etiquette and 2) emotionally, I like to believe it's always the snowboarders fault (mostly joking there😉)) But the skier should have been able to adjust his line to avoid the crash. Skiers fault. Bad skier. 😅

JoeB-Z

I turn. A lot. Code or not I am becoming aware that I can really jamb up snowboarders who "should" yield as they overtake. Hell of a lot easier to adjust for that a bit than to be "correct" all the way to a collision or near miss. It's no where near this bad skiing, but on day one when my father taught me to drive he said "never argue with a truck."

gmcunni

Edd

Don’t see a problem there. Looks like fun.