• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Windhold Galore

abc

Sugarbush is warning of wind hold on the higher lifts. Bolton had stopped all the high lifts. Stowe is down to just 4 lifts running.:(

On the plus side, all the new snow on the uppper mountains will stay till tomorrow.:)

2Planker

Cat closed today as it's gusting to over 100mph on "the rockpile"
ATT lost power but it's now back up BUT everything is on Wind Hold.....

Last edited:

drjeff

Sugarbush is warning of wind hold on the higher lifts. Bolton had stopped all the high lifts. Stowe is down to just 4 lifts running.:(

On the plus side, all the new snow on the uppper mountains will stay till tomorrow.:)
Or all the new snow will have been blown a county or 2 over! ;)

MidnightJester

The Woods will hold the SNOW just fine : )~ Groomers and trails will be very windblown powder

MidnightJester

Not many mountains list the trails like this but I like Smugglers that they list how many trails are lift accessible.

"75 skiable trails and 29 lift accessible trails open today. Village, M1, and Sterling wind hold"

abc

Even down in the valley, it’s blowing like crazy. Can only imagine what’s like up in the mountains. Forecast is for the wind to increase further throughout the day.

This is one of those days having a season pass would be advantages. Just go and ski a couple or more runs as the wind/chair allows, then go home. No worry about “burning a day” or paying for a whole day’s lift ticket.

That said, I’m not sure about sitting on a stop-n-go chair getting blsated by the wind hanging in mid-air. Been there, done that. After the 4th and fifth stop, the thought starts to creep in “hope they can bring me up to the terminal before they had to shut the lift down”!

Boxtop Willie

Skied Sugarbush (Lincoln) all morning. Wind is definitely blowing with a bit of an attitude. Heavens Gate and Castlerock closed. Found that North Lynx was well protected from the wind. Morning Star is spectacular...deep, soft, not wind blown. If it weren't for some work commitments I'd keep going.

AdironRider

Jay is baggin all lifts including lower mountain for the entire day today. Looks like a brief reprieve tomorrow then back to the vortex for the weekend.

KustyTheKlown

Jay is baggin all lifts including lower mountain for the entire day today. Looks like a brief reprieve tomorrow then back to the vortex for the weekend.

i dont want you all to be wind-held on saturday/sunday, but it will make me feel a lil better about having to sit this one out

MidnightJester

i dont want you all to be wind-held on saturday/sunday, but it will make me feel a lil better about having to sit this one out
Seems Middle of VT and DOWN no major wind holds. Didn't scan everywhere.

Most forecasts are not listing much wind during the weekend. 30mph maybe the most I picked up on. Hmmmmmmm
Does anyone have any reads on this WONDERFUL Nor'easter's and blizzards winds or directions this weekend. Is Saturday going to be snowy but wind fucked?? Does Sunday have SUNNY days but back end wind whip around?? Grrrrrrrrrr
Silver lining to not making it up today. Still suv-truck screwed but planning as things go

Last edited:

cdskier

Per NWS Burlington, they don't see this storm having major wind issues:

Thankfully it does not look like a particularly windy event.
That being said, if a coastal low deepens and tracks near Long
Island as depicted by the ECMWF, there could be some gusty
northerly winds Saturday night on the backside of the storm. For
now, we indicate just a short period of 20 to 25 MPH gusts
primarily in the southern Champlain Valley.

Wait...nevermind...I really mean it is going to be terribly windy. Everyone should just stay home :D

slatham

Stratton had Gondi and Snow Bowl on hold at least during the morning per report and cam. I skied an empty Bromley - they had planned to run Blue Ribbon and not express and I was very happy to lap East side powder all day (still some left for tomorrow!). IMHO they probably couldn’t run the HSQ due to wind, especially with its higher profile vs Blue Ribbon.

abc

I knew there were powder to be had, if I can stomach getting blasted by the wind on the chair. Cold too, as I hadn’t packed enough warm clothing for.

Go back 10 years, I would have bought some new warm items and put up with the wind & cold. But I’m now a lot more jaded after skiing out west on extended trips during the past ~10 years. (all thanks to cheap’ish season passes, mind you). The heavy powder of the east is only enjoyable when it’s not too pricy, not too cold and not too windy. ;)

I’m getting old. :( (But also, this is a “break” for me, a vacation, not just a run of a mill “sporting“ ski weekend). Between those two, I’m in the wrong mindset to brave the wind and the cold.

kbroderick

Sunday River started the day with five lifts: three carpets, the t-bar, and the South Ridge quad.

By 10:30, the quad was shut down.

At some point later in the day, it got windy enough to put the t-bar on wind hold.

Smellytele

I knew there were powder to be had, if I can stomach getting blasted by the wind on the chair. Cold too, as I hadn’t packed enough warm clothing for.

Go back 10 years, I would have bought some new warm items and put up with the wind & cold. But I’m now a lot more jaded after skiing out west on extended trips during the past ~10 years. (all thanks to cheap’ish season passes, mind you). The heavy powder of the east is only enjoyable when it’s not too pricy, not too cold and not too windy. ;)

I’m getting old. :( (But also, this is a “break” for me, a vacation, not just a run of a mill “sporting“ ski weekend). Between those two, I’m in the wrong mindset to brave the wind and the cold.
Coldest, windiest day I spent this year was out west in Utah.

drjeff

Sunday River started the day with five lifts: three carpets, the t-bar, and the South Ridge quad.

By 10:30, the quad was shut down.

At some point later in the day, it got windy enough to put the t-bar on wind hold.
A t-bar on wind hold takes a BIG wind!!!

• Haha
Reactions: abc

abc

Coldest, windiest day I spent this year was out west in Utah.
Ahh…but if you’re out there for extended time frame, which I was, you don’t have to ski on those windy, cold days. ;)

You wouldn’t miss too many days like that anyway. Those condition is rare. :)

I admit I’m jaded. :ROFLMAO: