• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Windows System Tray Weather App?

tcharron

Anyone know of any decent weather monitoring apps that run in the systray that can display data from the NWS, Wunderground, etc? I've been using WeatherWatcher, but data from the weather channel makes baby Ullr cry..

Greg

Staff member
I use the Weatherbug, mostly for sh!ts and giggles. It does give timely notifications of NWS watches and warnings however..

Greg

Staff member
MOOCHOOOO h8 for Weatherbug. Read this:

http://fravia.com/weatherbug.htm

That page is a bit over reative, IMHO. I've been running Weatherbug for years with no real problem. I just ran SpyBot and it found nothing related to Weatherbug. Sure, you have to take care in installing just the bare bones version, and it is indeed ad-supported (so is this site, BTW) but I'm okay with that.

I personally think people can go a bit overboard worrying about adware/spyware, etc. Run Spybot or Ad Aware from time to time, keep your virus protection up to date with current virus definitions, browse only reputable Web sites, and don't worry about it...

tcharron

That page is a bit over reative, IMHO. I've been running Weatherbug for years with no real problem. I just ran SpyBot and it found nothing related to Weatherbug. Sure, you have to take care in installing just the bare bones version, and it is indeed ad-supported (so is this site, BTW) but I'm okay with that.

I personally think people can go a bit overboard worrying about adware/spyware, etc. Run Spybot or Ad Aware from time to time, keep your virus protection up to date with current virus definitions, browse only reputable Web sites, and don't worry about it...

I posted the link as a reference, but personally, I've also had people who I've helped who'd installed it NOT barebones and had headache after headache getting it all off. Usually it was installed as part of another package and included a half dozen other *cough* 'utilities'. There are several versions of it since then, so perhaps it's gotten better. I've been using WeatherWatcher, I like the hour by hour which by default lists the dew points, etc. Nice toy.